First thread - noobie with a question concerning ignition coil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All - Just joined the group.

I have an 84 FJ60. It's in good condition.

Question - I would like to replace the ignition coil (not an OEM part) and keep existing igniter. Should I replace with a coil that requires an external resistor or does not require an external resistor? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Welcome to this madhouse : )
A very good rule to guide you when parts need to be replaced, that will never let you down, is always buy the original Toyota part if it’s still available. Yes it will be more expensive initially, but in the long run, original Toyota parts are actually cheaper because they last way way way longer and the quality can’t be beat.

So my recommendation is : buy a Toyota coil. They don’t cost much.

The 60 coil is still available from Toyota. Not cheap. Top quality. Heavy Duty. They are internally resisted.

Last edited:
Welcome to this madhouse : )
A very good rule to guide you when parts need to be replaced, that will never let you down, is always buy the original Toyota part if it’s still available. Yes it will be more expensive initially, but in the long run, original Toyota parts are actually cheaper because they last way way way longer and the quality can’t be beat.

So my recommendation is : buy a Toyota coil. They don’t cost much.
Thank you for the welcome and recommendation.

The 60 coil is still available from Toyota. Not cheap. Top quality. Heavy Duty. They are internally resisted.

If you can't stomach the price of the OE coil, the Wells (WVE) 5C1041 or SMP UC12X are good substitutes.
Thanks so much! I'll indeed look for a Toyota coil. So I'm clear... I need to get a coil internally resisted since I have a igniter???

Thank you!

Thanks so much! I'll indeed look for a Toyota coil. So I'm clear... I need to get a coil internally resisted since I have a igniter???

Thank you!

Yes, the stock coil (as OSS posted), has internal resistance. No external resistor needed, nor wanted. (you have stock distributor, right?)

When you install new coil, realize the igniter is grounded to the fender through that bracket. Make sure the grounds are clean and have good contact.

I've had and seen that others have had some not so great experiences with Toyota Parts Deal. They will take your order and may leave you in limbo. Just my .02 cents. I'd buy from McGeorge, Partsouq or other online dealers. ALWAYS check shipping costs.

Here is a link to Partsouq cost for the coil but check shipping costs. https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=9091902113

OR...if you have a great experience with your local dealer then by all means order through them and save on shipping. My experience with local dealerships is that they are clueless and don't follow through to contact you if they are able to get your part, usually weeks later.

As @OSS said, buy OEM when you can. I mean, the part lasted this long right? That's proof enough right there. I have so many original parts on my truck still that are still going strong after 40 years (mine's a 1982 FJ60) - that's the kind of part I want to buy if something goes south. I went against my own rule last year and bought an off-brand replacement voltage regulator. It lasted 10 months, whereas the original lasted 39 years. Now I have a NOS original Toyota VR on there and no trouble (thanks to @ToyotaMatt who's web shop is a treasure trove of OEM goodies). Long story short, sure you can take a chance at Napa or Rock Auto, but why? I enjoy working on my truck as a hobby but I don't want to be repeating the same work all the time.

Some parts - not all - are available from the OE manufacturers but sold as aftermarket and not branded "Toyota". Those are usually a slightly lower price for an item of identical quality, but you really have to dig in and verify that kind of thing first. Cruiser Outfitters is a good source for those parts (as well as "Toyota" branded OE parts and lots of other things).

I put some heat sinks on the igniter module that I had laying around to hopefully have it last a little longer. I don't know If it does anything... The coil is so cheap compared to the module.

igniter.jpeg

^^^ that is a good idea. And another is to take it apart and put some silicone paste between the metal heat sink and the transistor.

Keep your transistor in the igniter cool to save it. The igniter is NLA from Toyota. If the igniter goes, you will have no spark from coil to dizzy.

Here is some good reading from the FAQ section on making an igniter from a GM ignition module. Igniter Repair for Cheapskates - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/igniter-repair-for-cheapskates.802849/page-3
Interesting, thank you. Adding that to my spares "trail repair" kit

Geez! This is great... Thank you.

DO NOT shop at toyotapartsdeal , you will get your feelings hurt in the process and not understand why ......

i did once and that is not a good feeling ..

simply got to your local toyota dealer , show them this , then ask for a discount :

1672881172370.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom