First steps to improve approach/departure angles of a 2014 gx460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all -

I'm incredibly new to this world, I found this very informative forum and I'm looking to get into the gxor lifestyle!
I'm eyeing a 2014 gx460, (standard version, no air suspension).

While I'm excited for the off-roading potential of this vehicle, I'm disappointed by the worsening departure/approach angles (e.g., from 2013 to 2014, approach lost 7 deg).
I'm pretty sure I've found the right angles (after getting my hopes up at places like edmunds, cars.com):
Approach: 21 deg
Departure: 23 deg
Breakover: 21 deg

In what order (so I can prioritize budget) of mods/changes should I look to improve these angles or the off-roading capability in general?
And how much should I plan on spending for each modification?

New tires (is it better to be 17" wheels, comes with 18")?
New shocks?
Do I really need to cut the bumpers off and add a new front end? What's the best front to get (?) - I see there are problems with adding too heavy of a front for the stock suspension.

Thank you,

- mggxor

You can either trim your factory bumpers (cheap option) or replace the front and real bumpers with a metal alternative like from Ironman, ARB or Metaltech (expensive option). I’m going to trim my GX460’s bumpers and replace my GX470’s bumpers. We have different ideas about what each GX will be used for. I would check out several GX460 build threads in here for ideas on both options.

Reactions: r2m
I absolutely agree with MrTorgue. The cheapest, easiest and quickest method is to trim your front and rear bumpers and remove the side steps. There are thread on how to do that here.
Next, add larger tires, not stupid big, but maybe 32" all terrain. That in itself will be huge and get you to a lot of fun places.

Thank you both for the guidance - I really appreciate it!
And it looks like I'll be picking up the gx460 today! So much to read/learn/do ... off I go ...

Not knowing where in the U.S. you're located, but since most of the country is being hit pretty hard with weather, you may want to grab a cup of your favorite hot beverage, a comfortable chair, and just peruse through some of the sticky threads, like the picture thread for inspiration, the manuals thread to understand more about your new rig, the builds thread for ideas and thoughts of what to do and not do.
Also, there are some good reviews on Youtube about GX460's.
Enjoy! :cheers:

This!

1611724638860.png

It really is that easy.

View attachment 2566290

View attachment 2566291

View attachment 2566292

Then spend the next hour filing the edge.
One thing Washingtontaco didn't show, and I'm sure he did (just by judging his quality work:)) is use wide (2"+) blue painters tape to mask off your cutting area, then mark your cut line on the tape. The masking tape will prevent scratching the part of the bumper you keep as you cut along. Also for the rough stuff, a surform type file (Amazon.com : surform - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=surform&ref=nb_sb_noss ) works GREAT for knocking off any high spots in your cut line before moving on to a file. If you get a surform, be sure to get a long one, it'll help keep your cut edge nice and flat.

Last edited:
One thing Washingtontaco didn't show, and I'm sure he did (just by judging his quality work:)) is use wide (2"+) blue painters tape to mask off your cutting area, then mark your cut line on the tape. The masking tape will prevent scratching the part of the bumper you keep as you cut along. Also for the rough stuff, a surform type file (Amazon.com : surform - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=surform&ref=nb_sb_noss ) works GREAT for knocking off any high spots in your cut line before moving on to a file. If you get a surform, be sure to get a long one, it'll help keep your cut edge nice and flat.
Thanks, a few steps not covered but I just drew on the plastic with a red sharpie. But after years cutting on far more expensive machinery it all comes second nature. Filing is a must to produce that smooth factory edge. Start with an aggressive bastard file and work your way down to a fine file.

It's about a 2-3 beer job. ;) :beer::beer::beer:

Reactions: r2m
This forum is awesome - you all have provided a lot of great info - if I get the courage to cut my nearly day-old lexus, I'll post some pics (if they look good)

This forum is awesome - you all have provided a lot of great info - if I get the courage to cut my nearly day-old lexus, I'll post some pics (if they look good)
If you're planning on doing a lot, or going through a build, I suggest you start a "build" thread to journal your bleeding bank account exciting upgrades! 👍

Has anyone measured how many degrees of approach angle are gained with the front bumper trim?
I'd like to do this but am curious about actual gain before any material gets removed.

Rear stock angle seems to be a couple degrees better than front to begin with so front is the best bang for the buck, especially considering the stock hitch.

Also would love to see more photos of people's front bumpers they have done, get a good idea of lines and what looks good. Found a couple spread through the forums but a single place for that may be cool..

Has anyone measured how many degrees of approach angle are gained with the front bumper trim?
yes. after i trimmed the front bumper the height at the front was 16.5625 inches and the length from the front axle was 36 inches. which increased the approach angle to about ~24.7° = tan⁻¹(16.5625/36). i think this is pretty good since a 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires would increase the approach angle to ~25° from my calculations. plus it is a lot cheaper.

i'm on stock size tires and stock suspension.

from what i can tell tan⁻¹(9/15) = 30° is the maximum possible approach angle on stock suspension and tires.

link to post where i trimmed my bumper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom