Reliability of GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello GX460 experts,

I’m a 200 series owner and am trying to help my mother in law with buying a vehicle. I’ve always been very impressed with the GX460 and if I didn’t have a LC, would likely buy one.

Since this isn’t for me, I want to feel confident in the reliability. I checked Consumer Reports and was a bit surprised to see lackluster reliability ratings for several model years. My mother in law lives in a small town about an hour outside of Oklahoma City and won’t have quick access to a good Lexus mechanic. So, I just want to make sure this is the right car for her. It seems to check all of the other boxes. She’s been driving a Honda Pilot for several years and likes it okay. The GX is so much nicer though, and I would like to see her have something with a bit more luxury.

Any insight is appreciated. Let me know your opinions and what I should be on the lookout for.

Matt

Service history and current mechanical condition matter--for any vehicle. Don't believe consumer reports, they're not that reputable.

If you buy one obviously do your pre purchase inspection and service history research but also buy one that is one owner and from a southern state. Being a 200 series owner you already know how good these trucks are. I wouldn't hesitate to get a high mileage one for a family member. Mine is almost 14 years old and almost 182k and currently it's still feeling like a brand new vehicle mechanically.

Reactions: r2m
Before you get too carried away have her drive a GX first. Going from a unibody SUV to BOF isn't everyone's cup of tea. If she doesn't like the way the GX drivers then put her in a Highlander.

Another thing to consider is short-term reliability vs long-term reliability/durability. Does she lease cars for 2-3 years then dump them, or keep them 10+ years? It's (relatively) easy for automakers to build vehicles that maintain reliability through a standard term lease, or at least have issues that are easily covered under warranty. Long-term reliability/durability, however, is a different story...

They have a few known issues that are large repairs. Valley plate coolant leak being one. It'll run you around $1.5k to fix.

Hybrid RX or hybrid RAV

She Will appreciate the longer range and less time at gas stations. As others have said, why drive a body on frame truck with poor MPG if you aren’t a land cruiser fan or wheeler

My wife’s GX was flawless for the 55k miles and 5 years we owned it We traded on something with more power.

Hybrid RX or hybrid RAV

She Will appreciate the longer range and less time at gas stations. As others have said, why drive a body on frame truck with poor MPG if you aren’t a land cruiser fan or wheeler

My wife’s GX was flawless for the 55k miles and 5 years we owned it We traded on something with more power.
I'd echo this. I love my "chick car", a 2013 RX 450h, luxury package. It is...serenely...boring. Excellent on long trips, plenty of luxury features, almost 2x the MPG of the GX we have, and a decent amount of room to haul crap. The only quirky thing is that is the only car out of dozens I've owned in my life that for some reason I just cannot seem to park it straight no matter what. Strange... I blame the sight-lines.

As mentioned above, unless she needs the size and 7 seats, an RX is a great alternative if you want to stay Lexus.
The Highlanders are also nicely equipped.
But to the point of your questions, the GX are as rock solid as any other Toyota/Lexus product.
Our last two 100 series Landcruisers were traded in at 260k miles on one and the other 285k miles. Note they were not traded in for mechanical issues, the leather and paint was pretty much gone and wanted something newer and nicer.
EVERY Toyota product we've had has had over 200k miles before trading in or anything major repair.
Yeah, not every Toyota product is 100%, but you're far more likely to get a quarter million mile vehicle with a Toyota/Lexus product than most others.
Go for it!

Thanks everyone. This is what I needed. As pointed out, she definitely needs to drive one first and see if she likes it. She keeps cars for a long time and needs the extra cargo room. So, the GX definitely seems like a good option!

I remember reading an article recently about the top 10 most reliable vehicles ever made and they named the 2017 GX 460 as one of them. I don't remember why specifically the 2017 model, or maybe I'm just biased cause I own one :p, but that's what I remember. I believe it was written by CR, just tried searching for it again but could not find it.

In any case, I haven't had any issues with mine, my dad owns a 2003 GX with 160k miles and no problems there as well.

Gx+ drives like a tank, reliable as hell
Gx- drives like a tank, 14mpg mixed (and I drive like a grandpa)

I bought mine with 135k. Just passed 180k. Exactly one repair. Throttle body that Toyota likely broke cleaning it in the fuel service a week before it went out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom