First Post - Need Help with Tire Rub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the new owner of a 2020 Land Cruiser. This is my first post although I have spent more time on this site than I care to admit.

My tires are rubbing on the trail (and sometimes even when I pull into my driveway). I don't know the terminology however the front two tires hit on on the body molding directly behind them. Tires are Toyo ATIII size 285/70R17. I figured by staying with this size I'd clear however that is not the case. I have BP-51's with a 2" lift. I've always been a truck man and have chopped that area before however with a little nicer rig that this is I'd prefer sometime more subtle if possible. Enclosed are some pics of the molding that is catching but also a pic or two of the rig and I have never posted a thing.

New owner....new to the LC world with temporary tags still.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

FA9BF661-0D09-4FC0-B46D-C91424ACD0B9.jpeg

D1B5BE34-7A2C-47DA-815F-BF33933E1D26.jpeg

615BABEE-01F3-4FA2-8342-461BDB2958B5.jpeg

D6B299EF-E23E-44D4-95A8-8F5DD1821E09.jpeg

D4B7366B-B0BD-4394-8B52-6F9594D3180D.jpeg

It’s likely offset of those wheels not tire size.

Hard to tell from your photos but it looks minor. Some folks heat up the liner and massage it out the way. You can also drill new holes in the liner and pull it forward.

I can't help with the interference, but that is a great first post with photos! Welcome!

I was thinking of drilling new holes for support and removing some of the area that rubs. Thanks for the support. Very quick responses. Nice to know I was on the right track.

First step would be to verify you have an alignment with as much positive caster as possible. Sometimes they just set it 'within spec' but with a whole lot more to give....it would pull the tires forward. If you dont have aftermarket upper control arms they will also give you that needed caster.

Great first post and thread. Way to step in here with awesome pics of a rig that's already looking like it's well on its way.

If I'm not mistaken, those are Icon Rebounds. Offered in +25 and +0 offset. I can't tell from the pics but it looks like they are +25.

Following @tbisaacs lead, yes, the rubbing is likely due more to wheel offset than tire size.

You can do a little trimming or heating it up and molding it. If you have aftermarket upper control arms, you can align it such that it buys a bit more clearance at the rear. Or a combination of both.

Can you circle where it is rubbing?

I will verify the alignment and caster this week. I do have aftermarket upper control arms. Good input.

Nice eyes.... they are icon rebounds with I believe +25 offset. Also I have 1.25” wheel spacers.

I’ll see if I can’t get this ironed out starting with an alignment and caster check first and then move on to body molding modifications if needed.

Thanks

I will verify the alignment and caster this week. I do have aftermarket upper control arms. Good input.

Nice eyes.... they are icon rebounds with I believe +25 offset. Also I have 1.25” wheel spacers.

I’ll see if I can’t get this ironed out starting with an alignment and caster check first and then move on to body molding modifications if needed.

Thanks

oh yea, ditch the spacers and likely you’ll be fine.

Pishhhh, that's minor! Just start cutting 😂

Yeah, 25mm and 30mm of spacer is -5mm effective or so. It can be done if you want the poke, but you'll have to trim. Agree with others you're better off without the spacer, for a lot of reasons.

Hey, that’s why I’m here. I figured I’d get some good advice and it looks like I did. I love the way the stance looks now but I’ll be so much more comfortable knowing there’s no rubbing going on. Thanx

@Overlandlc200 Nice setup and photos. Hope you get your tire rubbing sorted out.
May I ask where you got your BP-51 lift installed if you did not do it your self?

I had Ed Martin Toyota in Indiana do the custom build for me. Told em what I wanted and they installed everything. Excellent service. The main advantage of having a dealer do the work is that it’s under warranty. Eric Sargent is the main point man there and they do several builds at a time. Very nice work.

Some folks heat up the liner and massage it out the way.

Yep, that's what I did. I used a heat gun and pushed the plastic where I wanted it with a piece of wood (hammer handle). It worked well and keeps it's shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom