First oil change since purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I want to start changing my own oil. With the exception of the oil and the metal cap removal adapter, am I missing anything needed for an oil change? Is the factory recommended 5,000 mile interval with full synthetic the way to go? Anything I need to look out for? Finally, what oil do you recommend for a daily driver with 56,000 miles?

Hey everyone,

I want to start changing my own oil. With the exception of the oil and the metal cap removal adapter, am I missing anything needed for an oil change? Is the factory recommended 5,000 mile interval with full synthetic the way to go? Anything I need to look out for? Finally, what oil do you recommend for a daily driver with 56,000 miles?

5,000 miles is too soon to be changing synthetic oil. As Bang Bang stated, minimum would be 10,000 between oil changes with a good synthetic oil.
Otherwise you're just wasting money and your time under your rig.

5,000 miles is a good OCI for a 7.8 liter capacity motor. For a daily driver I would not recommend 10K OCI on any motor regardless of oil type. You will get a lot of different opinions on this. I error on the side of longevity.

I also recommend bi-annual coolant, brake fluid and power steering flush. Diffs/Transfer case/transmission service every 25K.

The 10K oil change interval (OCI) can work, but (IMO) only for vehicles that see highway driving under light throttle and don't experience dirty/dusty conditions, or heavy engine loading (lead footed driver, towing, off roading). My GX checks zero of those boxes so it gets a 5K OCI with Mobil 1. Even driving in good conditions, but with short trips, can reduce the lifespan of the oil. Oil is cheap/easy to change; leaving it in too long can cause sludge/varnish in the engine, gumming up on the rings, excessive oil consumption, and other forms of premature engine wear.

A few other recommendations:

1. Only buy Toyota filters from actual Toyota dealers. Don't chance it with eBay or Amazon filters. There have been many reports of fake parts - not worth it when you can simply stop by your local dealer and grab a few filters.
2. I grease my driveshaft U joints and slip joints at every oil change. You'll need a grease gun for this. I use Lucas Red and Tacky grease.
3. For my 0W20 vehicles I've had the best luck with Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic. It's usually $25-28/5 quart jug at Wal Mart (by far the cheapest place to buy it). I ran Valvoline 0W20 in our Subaru once (they were sold out of Mobil 1) and it started burning it around the 5K mark - it's been back to zero oil burning with Mobil 1 in it. Just buy 2 jugs now, keep the half jug, and you'll only need to buy 1 jug for the next change.

Last edited:
Another recommendation I can make is to swap to a Toyota 15620-31060 aluminum oil filter cap. Other popular oil filter options are TRD PTR43-00081, Sakura EO1102, Sofima S5077PE, Ryco R2664P and LUBER-FINER P968.

10k miles, anything less is a complete waste of time and money for fools. You could fill that engine with hog piss and change it every 50k, wouldn't make a bit of difference. Toyotas are built to be abused. Just follow the manufacturer's guideline.

10k miles, anything less is a complete waste of time and money for fools. You could fill that engine with hog piss and change it every 50k, wouldn't make a bit of difference. Toyotas are built to be abused. Just follow the manufacturer's guideline.
10K intervals are typically for "normal" driving - e.g., light throttle on the highway. Factory maintenance schedules usually don't apply for heavy towing, off road use, driving in dusty conditions, or lots of short trips (which most of our GX's see). I don't have a GX460 manual available, but most vehicles with a factory extended OCI typically clarify that it's not valid for those types of condition.

The inside of my engines are spotless from 5K OCI's, including my oil-consumption-prone Subaru FB25. From having seen varnish-filled engine insides due to extended OCI's, why chance it to save $45 in oil and a filter a few times a year?

10K intervals are typically for "normal" driving - e.g., light throttle on the highway. Factory maintenance schedules usually don't apply for heavy towing, off road use, driving in dusty conditions, or lots of short trips (which most of our GX's see). I don't have a GX460 manual available, but most vehicles with a factory extended OCI typically clarify that it's not valid for those types of condition.

The inside of my engines are spotless from 5K OCI's, including my oil-consumption-prone Subaru FB25. From having seen varnish-filled engine insides due to extended OCI's, why chance it to save $45 in oil and a filter a few times a year?
This. Only a buffoon penny pinches on the most critical service item on the engine.

Well this one is lively. I just change it when the truck tells me to.I assume it knows something more than just miles since Ive had mine for less than 15k and its asked to be changed twice. I also changed it when I got it proactively. I do mostly short trips and trail it a lot so it seems to have picked up on that…. It asks for a change every 6-8k so far. Oil is cheap, rings and bearings are expensive.

Last edited:
Same thing goes for the transmission too… change that out every 60k… way too many guys on here with burnt, black, fluid because the previous owner thought it was a lifetime item.

Differentials and transfer cases apply too :). My fluid was nasty 15k-ish miles after i changed it due to frequent mudholes and creek crossings. I'm using cheap Valvoline conventional fluid and changing all 3 annually from now on. I take used oil and other to my local parts store who recycles it for heating oil, so it's not wasted.

There is nothing wrong if you stick with the factory interval, most synthetic oil can last 10k miles and would still have enough to go a little further.

Plenty of 4 cylinder Toyota engines had oil burning issues in those years. Toyota's fix on the Prius is to install different rings that press harder into the cylinder walls and different pistons to accommodate them. Not the least bit relevant to oil change intervals, or any parts on the v8s. Just an eager lower-friction design from the get-go.

I hope you don’t listen to every jackoff “professional” on youtube.

Last edited:
Plenty of 4 cylinder Toyota engines had oil burning issues in those years. Toyota's fix on the Prius is to install different rings that press harder into the cylinder walls and different pistons to accommodate them. Not the least bit relevant to oil change intervals, or any parts on the v8s. Just an eager lower-friction design from the get-go.

I hope you don’t listen to every jackoff “professional” on youtube.

Think however you like on your own vehicle. I have enough experience with repairing all kinds of vehicles and equipment to know better than listen to anyone who discounts 3k-5k OCI's. AMD (Car Care Nut) gives solid advice and has outstanding positive YouTube content.

I know with 100% certainty that doing these extended OCI's or any service interval only has negative outcomes. Regardless of engine size. BTW the 1UR-FE is no more reliable than a properly maintained 4 cylinder or most any other motor that is taken care of and maintained.

Reactions: r2m
Nothing like a good oil change interval argument lol.

FWIW my previous vehicle was a 2010 FJ Cruiser which also had a 10k manufacturers recommended OCI with 0W20 full synthetic. I followed this recommendation and that engine didn't burn a drop of oil between changes over six years, even when I sold it at 145K.

Likewise, my GX doesn't burn a drop of oil, and importantly the oil is still clean and translucent at 10k, just a little darker. To be safe I use Mobil One Extended Performance, which claims to be good for 15k OCI. IMO, if you use good oil this motor will be just fine. And yes I wheel and overland my GX and tow a small camper at times. I'm not worried a bit.

Do you really think a hyper-conservative company like Toyota would go along with 10k intervals if it was harmful to their cherished reliability? There is a reason this engine holds over 8 quarts of oil, compared to the old school american V8s that held 5 quarts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom