First foray into a vintage Cruiser....1987 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice looking truck. Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:(official greeting)

The stock distributor was replaced with a non-usa dissy or possibly aftermarket dissy. Also, the coil is one I'm not familiar with. Maybe if you get a chance, can you take and post a few high-res pix, please?

Also, I would strongly suggest a silver star subscription so you can post lots of pix and avoid all the pop-ads. At 20 bux/year it's well worth it and you'll save buckets of money and time with people being able to answer your questions faster and more precisely.

(click on your user name and go to 'account upgrades' and choose your weapon).

ToyotaMatt s website: VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/

is this helpful? If not, let me know what you need and I’ll try to get those pics for you.

0EA2D535-587C-4D40-AE94-8FD450132EF1.jpeg

781BFAC5-D147-40DE-9D02-637680E89ADD.jpeg

48437134-9C4C-4411-924D-852354985E9C.jpeg

CEB3AA4C-369C-40DF-9DF2-B474661BF16B.jpeg

58E417D1-CE7A-46CA-BD6C-008D3AA15A99.jpeg

I can't really tell from the pix if that's a Toyota (Denso) distributor or a Trollhole (Chi-Com aftermarket). You have to unclip the side clasps on the cap and post of pic of the guts. Either way, it's not the stock dissy or coil/Igniter. Or, check for a foil Toyota sticker on the side of the dissy housing.

Coil looks like a Diamond Brand coil that that used to be sold by TPI 4x4 with a non-USA distributor (like yours) as a power package (it's not).

Either way, if it's running well, don't mess with it.

The Webber is the weak link. If it's something you wanna master, by all means, have at it. Look into city racer or a desmogged Aisan carb. It will save your patience for more more minor things. 😉
Just my $.02

The Webber is the weak link. If it's something you wanna master, by all means, have at it. Look into city racer or a desmogged Aisan carb. It will save your patience for more more minor things. 😉
Just my $.02
The more I’m looking into the Weber setup, I’m beginning to think you’re right. That may be the first motor thing to go. Still trying to figure it out though.

The more I’m looking into the Weber setup, I’m beginning to think you’re right. That may be the first motor thing to go. Still trying to figure it out though.

It's not an easy swap back to stock unless you have the stock Throttle linkage and Air Cleaner and a few other bits. Just something to be aware of and factor in.

Holley Sniper Fuel Injection might be more practical for you, and you've got the expert's expert in Memphis:

@FJ60Cam

That looks just like the 19100-61080 non-US distributor in my '71 FJ40. I bought it used on the Pirate4X4 site more than 20 years ago. It was sold by TPI, which would make sense given @Spike Strip's input on your coil.

That looks just like the 19100-61080 non-US distributor in my '71 FJ40. I bought it used on the Pirate4X4 site more than 20 years ago. It was sold by TPI, which would make sense given @Spike Strip's input on your coil.
That would also make sense because TPI is a Nashville based shop and I’m not sure how long this truck has been in the Nashville area. The previous owner sold the truck through a Brentwood auto dealer (15 min south of Nashville). Not sure where he bought it from, but my guess is it’s been in the area for a minute or that he put it distributor on.

Welp....went to try to adjust the weber carb today per the weber setup to try to get my idle below 1000 rpm. No go. Looks like I need new jets or start rabbit trailing down other issues. The idle mixture screws are bottomed out and the idle speed screw is WAY too far in.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? If not, get one,

Soooo....more to this story. I’m just a moron and don’t know what I’m doing. Thought I had a Weber 38, but it’s a Weber 32/36. Will attempt to destroy my truck by working on it again tomorrow. :/

I’m just a moron and don’t know what I’m doing.

Unless you are a certified ASE mechanic, everyone starts this way. You don't have to work on your own truck, its just easier on the wallet most times if you do. Maybe get a cruiser guru to initially dial it in and then take it from there. These trucks are just not really the sort of 'get in and go' vehicles they used to be. Lots more to owning them than paying registration and filling with gas, but it all part of the Cruiser experience. As you work on one system, try and educate yourself as much as you can on how that system does what it does. As you touch more and more systems, you will understand more and more about the truck. The good news for you is that these are as dead simple as you can get. so you have a fighting chance at actually working on it, which is different from a modern vehicle that requires an IT degree to fix. One step at a time. Just remember everyone starts somewhere, you aren't born with mechanical experience, and no one knows everything (although a lot of mud members come real close). Even the experts on here started somewhere and most started when these trucks were brand new. The rest of us are playing 30+ years of catchup. Since owning mine I found myself doing things I never thought I would be capable of. I assure you, if I can figure this out, you can. GL. HTH.

Unless you are a certified ASE mechanic, everyone starts this way. You don't have to work on your own truck, its just easier on the wallet most times if you do. Maybe get a cruiser guru to initially dial it in and then take it from there. These trucks are just not really the sort of 'get in and go' vehicles they used to be. Lots more to owning them than paying registration and filling with gas, but it all part of the Cruiser experience. As you work on one system, try and educate yourself as much as you can on how that system does what it does. As you touch more and more systems, you will understand more and more about the truck. The good news for you is that these are as dead simple as you can get. so you have a fighting chance at actually working on it, which is different from a modern vehicle that requires an IT degree to fix. One step at a time. Just remember everyone starts somewhere, you aren't born with mechanical experience, and no one knows everything (although a lot of mud members come real close). Even the experts on here started somewhere and most started when these trucks were brand new. The rest of us are playing 30+ years of catchup. Since owning mine I found myself doing things I never thought I would be capable of. I assure you, if I can figure this out, you can. GL. HTH.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have definitely dug into the whole Weber carb thing and learned a ton about them in just the one day. Lots of resources on them (especially on Jeep forums). Also talked with a mechanic today who is pretty well versed in them and Land Cruisers too. I kinda wish the truck had been left stock (carb anyways) cause now I'm trying to match information from a lot of different places and hoping it works. =/

But I am super excited about this truck and this forum too. Lot's of great info, builds, and everything from "how tos" to "don't dos" with them. Hopefully I'll find a mechanic guru around Nashville that might be willing to help an old dog learn new tricks by wrenching on this thing.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have definitely dug into the whole Weber carb thing and learned a ton about them in just the one day. Lots of resources on them (especially on Jeep forums). Also talked with a mechanic today who is pretty well versed in them and Land Cruisers too. I kinda wish the truck had been left stock (carb anyways) cause now I'm trying to match information from a lot of different places and hoping it works. =/

But I am super excited about this truck and this forum too. Lot's of great info, builds, and everything from "how tos" to "don't dos" with them. Hopefully I'll find a mechanic guru around Nashville that might be willing to help an old dog learn new tricks by wrenching on this thing.

I'm sure there are plenty in Nashville, there's a bunch of us couple of hours up 65 in Louisville, too!

Last edited:
If it hasn't been done already, mark your flywheel and pointer before checking timing. Really makes it much easier.

Also, a good set of JIS screwdrivers helps along with a nice assortment of metrified wrenches, sockets, etc.

Good luck!

1614288179627.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom