First FJ60- Loving the forum so far! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to come in and introduce myself to the group. I just picked up my first FJ60 ('85) about 2 weeks ago and already loving this thing. My wife has been trying to convince me to buy a bronco for years... but that's something that I have never had an interest in. As soon as she saw her first FJ60 she was over the bronco :) Over the past few months, I looked at a few within a couple hundred miles of me before finally settling on one that came available locally. The price was right, rust was minimal, so I'm looking forward to working to slowly restore this thing over the next couple of years.

What I am most looking forward to is learning more about engine/drivetrain work, carburetors, body work, upholstery, etc as I am planning to do as much of it myself as possible. I started on rebuilding the knuckles this weekend and figured out that's a job in itself.

Anyway, I've been browsing the forum for a couple months and have been blown away by the amount of knowledge on this board... I have learned a ton already! Looking forward to sharing my build with the group.

IMG_3036.jpeg

Sweet looking rig!

Shenandoah Valley!
Nice looking 60! You will find local like-minded individuals in our DMV LC community that posts over here: <VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/va-dc-md-capital-land-cruiser-club.79/>. We also have monthly meetings (first Wednesday of the month) at Kilroy's in Springfield, VA. If you are looking for people that know everything about how to fix whatever needs fixed on a LC, these are the guys. We also have a few organized events annually and there are plenty of wheeling trips too.

Welcome! The single best advice for you is to go to the Resources button in the tool bar at the top of the page and download Factory Service Manuals. I keep this in a folder on my computer and they have been invaluable. click on it Resources and drill down ie...Toyota, then Land Cruiser, then FJ60 and find valuable factory service manuals also known here as "FSM" that you can download. I recommend the 84-90 Chassis and Body, the 2F engine repair 1991 printing(found in the fj40 section and the drivetrain section as the 1980 2f Engine repair FSM), The 1981 2F emissions control, the 86 Maint, 85 Chassis and body supplimental. click on the FSM you want then click the download button on the upper right of the page (in orange)

Also there are some good videos in FAQ section at the top. There is a good one on knuckle service. More info on knuckle rebuilds in the 84-90 chassis and body and it gets deep into technical stuff... torque specs, what grease to use, how to adjust the shims.

Second best advice I can give you is don't throw out old Land Cruiser parts with the exception of wear and tear items like wipers, carpet and clutches. Things like alternators, exhaust/intake manifolds, radiators, USA carbs, emissions components, aren't being made anymore and they can be refurb'd and made to keep going. Any interior part is NLA so box it up and keep it or sell it here in the classified ads.

Some people (kids mostly) buy toy models to assemble when they’re young because, well frankly, it’s a lot of fun.
The FJ60 is just another toy model - big boy style- and it’s even funner to work on than a plastic model.
There’s 2 realms to FJ60 ownership: driving them off road (which is really fun) and working on them (which is arguably even funner).

Nice looking 60! You will find local like-minded individuals in our DMV LC community that posts over here: <VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/va-dc-md-capital-land-cruiser-club.79/>. We also have monthly meetings (first Wednesday of the month) at Kilroy's in Springfield, VA. If you are looking for people that know everything about how to fix whatever needs fixed on a LC, these are the guys. We also have a few organized events annually and there are plenty of wheeling trips too.
I’ll definitely check out the group! And I could definitely always use the local help and expertise!

Welcome! The single best advice for you is to go to the Resources button in the tool bar at the top of the page and download Factory Service Manuals. I keep this in a folder on my computer and they have been invaluable. click on it Resources and drill down ie...Toyota, then Land Cruiser, then FJ60 and find valuable factory service manuals also known here as "FSM" that you can download. I recommend the 84-90 Chassis and Body, the 2F engine repair 1991 printing(found in the fj40 section and the drivetrain section as the 1980 2f Engine repair FSM), The 1981 2F emissions control, the 86 Maint, 85 Chassis and body supplimental. click on the FSM you want then click the download button on the upper right of the page (in orange)

Also there are some good videos in FAQ section at the top. There is a good one on knuckle service. More info on knuckle rebuilds in the 84-90 chassis and body and it gets deep into technical stuff... torque specs, what grease to use, how to adjust the shims.

Second best advice I can give you is don't throw out old Land Cruiser parts with the exception of wear and tear items like wipers, carpet and clutches. Things like alternators, exhaust/intake manifolds, radiators, USA carbs, emissions components, aren't being made anymore and they can be refurb'd and made to keep going. Any interior part is NLA so box it up and keep it or sell it here in the classified ads.
Thanks for the advice! However, I must be losing it because I cannot seem to find the "resources" button anymore! I swear I saw it when I first joined, but no longer see it. Anyone know what my issue might be?

I just checked and having a silver membership does not add the tool bar. It should be standard ... here are the silver membership advantages

• The coveted 'Silver Star' or 'Gold Star' banner
  • Max 10 attachments per post
  • Single Desktop banner, ZERO banner ads on Mobile
  • Personalize your User Title
  • Upload a Profile Banner Photo
  • Ability to CHANGE your username
  • Bookmarks feature - organize and customize links to individual posts
  • Increased signature line options
  • Additional Inbox features, including increased attachment uploads
  • Unlimited Inbox messages
  • Additional alert features
  • Member blocking options

...and most important, the appreciation of the membership for your support!

If the 85 still has glass tube fuses, take them out one by one, clean the contacts with fine sand paper and replace with brand new fuses.. 9n my fj40 this fixed 80% of my weird electrical gremlins.. First thing I did on the 60.

Second hit.. 8f you are chasing an electrical gremlin and feel confused, always start by assuming it's, a problem with the grounds, fix those first. You'll be right more often than you'd expect.

Last edited:
Just wanted to come in and introduce myself to the group. I just picked up my first FJ60 ('85) about 2 weeks ago and already loving this thing. My wife has been trying to convince me to buy a bronco for years... but that's something that I have never had an interest in. As soon as she saw her first FJ60 she was over the bronco :) Over the past few months, I looked at a few within a couple hundred miles of me before finally settling on one that came available locally. The price was right, rust was minimal, so I'm looking forward to working to slowly restore this thing over the next couple of years.

What I am most looking forward to is learning more about engine/drivetrain work, carburetors, body work, upholstery, etc as I am planning to do as much of it myself as possible. I started on rebuilding the knuckles this weekend and figured out that's a job in itself.

Anyway, I've been browsing the forum for a couple months and have been blown away by the amount of knowledge on this board... I have learned a ton already! Looking forward to sharing my build with the group.

View attachment 3592058
what!??! all this chit chat from these guys n not one has given you the official welcome into this den of misfits???? let me do so then :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
n @g-man speaks truth on the manuals 👍 i was fortunate enough to find those in the old school version, which i prefer.
welcome aboard mister n that's a good looking beast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom