First 40...finally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The previous owner of my 60 used liberal amounts of spray paint to "fix" up the body, probably 2 cans worth. I found that "bumper stripper " in a spray can was just enough to lift the spray paint but save the original red. Do a test in a safe spot first though. I think aircraft stripper will take it all off to bare metal.
20170624_151729.jpg
20170625_172829.jpg

I like the wife's work boots! Soda blasting may allow you to strip a layer at a time. It's often used to remove paint without damaging a substrate. Not the cheapest way but an option.

If the white paint is peeling a pressure washer may remove some before moving onto a more time consuming method.

Nice 40! Be careful stripping it back down to Rustic green. P.O. did the same thing to my 40, painted over original Rustic using some cheesy green metallic paint. I tried the stripper route but had a hard time keeping it from eating too much of the original paintjob. Wear some good gloves if you do this, that stuff strips skin too. I gave up trying to remove the paint, too frustrating. I ended up just sanding it down a litte and used Rustoleum spray cans to repaint over it. Easy and cheap. Good luck! :cheers:

Seriously your really moving quick on a number of frontsnand having fun doing it. I have an old soda blaster at my office. Welcome to use if your interested when you get around to playing with paint. Sitting unused for a few years. We moved on to a dry ice blaster.

This is the stuff I used. Way less aggressive than the aircraft stuff, and the spray is nice. I would actually follow up with laquer thinner and it worked great. Amazingly did very little damage to the original paint.
SEM Products XXX Bumper Stripper 77713

I started with mild solvents and kept moving up. I had used the stripper to remove a lousy paint job off a plastic Polaris Indy hood and had it laying around. I don't leave it on long in case it gets after the factory paint.

20170624_152321.jpg

If you do end up using stronger paint strippers, you might try Dupli-Color's stripper. I prefered it over the Aircraft stripper.
IMG_6311.jpg

Nice rig. Congrats and way to get the wife workin' on it and the kids playin' in it. Well done!

Congrats on the purchase. Nice looking 40. I remember your wanted threaded in the classifieds... I drove though your neck of the woods twice this summer - it's beautiful. My wife and I are impressed with how many Toyotas there are in rural Michigan - saw a few 80's for sale along the drive towards Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Enjoy the truck and maybe we'll meet up at a Michigan gathering of cruisers.

Alan

Congratulations! An FJ40 is great family fun. Your kids will remember this adventure forever. My wife didn't get it until her first Rubicon trip. Now every time I'm tinkering on it she says, "Is the 'cruiser running yet, I want to be able to drive it".

The original color was Rustic Green. It was painted over with this "Ivory" color...right over the green. I'm not sure if it's an original white from Toyota or not.
The dash is still green. The white paint is peeling quite a bit and I am trying to figure out if I it is possible to take the top paint off without destroying too much of the original green...not sure how to do that other than a small razor blade. If anyone has any great tips on how to do that, please chime in
Great looking 40, congrats! You should definitely try and get it all back to that original rustic green, such a great color on the 40's.

I was watching a guy strip old paint off a car, and it seems to me it came off a layer at a time. Just an idea.
Good to see you on here @120mm, its been a long time since I've seen you post in the 80 section. If you are lurking around in the 40 section, I can only assume you have the 40 fever just like me. I'm hoping to remedy that soon though!

Great looking 40, congrats! You should definitely try and get it all back to that original rustic green, such a great color on the 40's.

Good to see you on here @120mm, its been a long time since I've seen you post in the 80 section. If you are lurking around in the 40 section, I can only assume you have the 40 fever just like me. I'm hoping to remedy that soon though!

40 fever :hmm: would you need to sell that hj60 to make room?? ;)

40 fever :hmm: would you need to sell that hj60 to make room?? ;)
Never! Will just need to buy a bigger house to hold more Land Cruisers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom