First 40...finally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
Never knew what a 40 was until I joined this forum when searching for my 80. Once I fell in love with that, I knew I needed a 40 and a 60. Now I'm one step closer since finally acquiring my 72 40 FST. Just like my 80, I purchased off the forum and am absolutely smitten with it...

I've only had it less than a week and have already put over 300 miles on it.

IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG

The family loves it too...my wife is now learning to drive a stick because she wants to drive it.

IMG_3481.JPG

I installed the Bestop rear seat for the 2 girls. Still looking to get a OEM style soft top and will slowly be making it better.

Cheers! :beer:

Congrats, that's a good looking 40

And yes it's a slippery road....I wanted a 40 when i was about 13 (so late 1970''s) started with an fj 80 23 years ago...now we have 10 cruisers.....they come in so many flavors you can't have just one

Very nice!!! I love the bows. Id love to find a set and ditch the hardtop for good.

THe pic of your girls is great! My girl calls those ride hands weeeeeeee

Hey, You're lookin' good! That looks like a decent rig!
19 y/o when I bought my first FJ40, Brand New 1971. That was it. Land Cruiser person ever since. TUV..(Tough Utility Vehicle.) Kind of like Harley VS Indian Motorcycles...
Drive a Jeep you drive with the masses, Drive a 40 you drive with the Classes.

Last edited:
Whoo hoo! There it is. Was waiting for you to post up the 40. You showed me a bunch of "maybe" rigs on your search, and this one is way better than the others! Gonna be fun times. Congrats.

Great looking 40! I need an 80 to complete my stable;)

Great family bonding right there! Congrats it's beautiful!

Welcome to the addiction!!
Nice looking rig!!

A.J

Well, I haven't posted much progress on my 40, since I have yet to do much...still driving/enjoying it while I figure out what direction I want to go:

So far I have removed the Warn 8274 from the front bumper. I have taken the front and rear bumper down to bare metal and primed/painted them black. I also painted the bezel black, which I am not positive if I like or not. Bumpers look much better.

The wife helped:

IMG_3547.JPG

Purchased some new rear tail lights, as the originals were pretty dinged up...

IMG_3634.JPG

The front looks much better. Will probably find a new way to install the 8274...I just didn't like how high up it sat originally:

IMG_3637.JPG

The original color was Rustic Green. It was painted over with this "Ivory" color...right over the green. I'm not sure if it's an original white from Toyota or not.

The dash is still green. The white paint is peeling quite a bit and I am trying to figure out if I it is possible to take the top paint off without destroying too much of the original green...not sure how to do that other than a small razor blade. If anyone has any great tips on how to do that, please chime in:

IMG_3638.JPG

Also picked up a set of original jump seats from a forum member, so will work at installing those, though one of the feet has rusted off, so need to figure out a way to fix that.

Still need to purchase:

- Original wheels/hubcaps
- New narrower tires
- Door channels for soft top
- Soft top

Looking good. There is a very recent thread on here where a guy and his wife were stripping a layer of paint to reveal the original color on their 40. I can't recall the name of that thread, but it's worth a search.

Awesome story. If you want tall narrow tires you might want to look at racer65's 16 inch rims w/clips. I am pretty sure more tire options exist for 16" rims. 235 85 R16's look nice on a cruiser.

You probably know this, there is a rear reflector that mounts next to the rear lights.

Awesome story. If you want tall narrow tires you might want to look at racer65's 16 inch rims w/clips. I am pretty sure more tire options exist for 16" rims. 235 85 R16's look nice on a cruiser.

You probably know this, there is a rear reflector that mounts next to the rear lights.

Yeah, the bolts broke when I took them off to paint the bumper...and I lost one of them. They are pretty banged up and dented. I need to find new ones.

I have looked at City Racer's 16" wheels and love them...I may go that route if I can convince myself to spend $3,000 for wheels and tires :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom