Firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will be interesting to hear what the issue/ fix is.
Definitely.

It bothers me. I paid good money for a quality saw, it's practically a new saw, I bet I have less than 10 cords of wood on it.

Definitely.

It bothers me. I paid good money for a quality saw, it's practically a new saw, I bet I have less than 10 cords of wood on it.

Are you on here? They can probably help you through the problem without taking it to a shop, if you want to do it that way. They talked me through when I had to tear my MS461 all the way down, runs great ever since. Great experience on this site, some are Stihl mechanics.

Just went to this site…seems like a good one.👍🪵

Before and after. The brush is now a habitat for the quail and rabbits.

View attachment 2984444

View attachment 2984446

View attachment 2984447
Love this! The property in Oklahoma always had couple covey of quail over the years but I haven't seen any for awhile Moving there next month but was looking at old oak I had removed to build shop (it was dying and half almost fell on my tractor last year. We are going to use the trunk and have some chairs and mantel made for our fireplace in our new home. Not the hunter I use to be but nothing like having quail scare ya when your not paying attention. Food plots and areas of protection from the predators high on my list.

Just went to this site…seems like a good one.👍🪵

VERY good forum for chainsaw related info. Been a member for years.

Are you on here? They can probably help you through the problem without taking it to a shop, if you want to do it that way. They talked me through when I had to tear my MS461 all the way down, runs great ever since. Great experience on this site, some are Stihl mechanics.

I am not, I may look into it.

The saw is going to the shop tomorrow morning regardless. There's no reason I should have a saw that I paid good money for doing this. No excuse.

Hell, that mofo won't even start right now.

too late for you perhaps, unfortunately, but I remember last time when buying Stihl saws that if I bought some OEM Stihl bar oil at the same time, the warranty was doubled. I think there were another couple of things that would do it too. Any chance you could claim something like that?
And of course, some credit cards will do it too.

too late for you perhaps, unfortunately, but I remember last time when buying Stihl saws that if I bought some OEM Stihl bar oil at the same time, the warranty was doubled. I think there were another couple of things that would do it too. Any chance you could claim something like that?
Definitely worth a shot, I vaguely remember something like that.

Found my receipt from when I bought it, along with the sixer of oil.

11-March-2020

Imagine that.

dang, close...
however, your official Stihl warranty, doubled with the Ultra (hopefully) oil is now 2 years. So if you paid by Credit card, would they not extend it by another 2 years? May be worth checking?

then again, maybe this is just a trivial thing to fix anyway and it'll be just fine...

Last edited:
dang, close...
however, your official Stihl warranty, doubled with the Ultra (hopefully) oil is now 2 years. So if you paid by Credit card, would they not extend it by another 2 years? May be worth checking?

then again, maybe this is just a trivial thing to fix anyway and it'll be just fine...
Cash is king.

Looks like it's not good, piston is smoked. I'll probably bump the M-Tronic thread to follow-up on.

Looks like it's not good, piston is smoked.

Any idea why? I’ve had two of my saws need piston work, one because the air cleaner got knocked aside and sawdust was getting by. The other we think because it was too caked with crud to cool, and overheated. At the time having a shop do it with OE parts was gonna be two thirds the cost of replacing the saw. One I did myself with OE parts, except I had the shop connect the piston and rod for me. The other I set aside for many years, and my son recently got it going with aftermarket parts.

Any idea why? I’ve had two of my saws need piston work, one because the air cleaner got knocked aside and sawdust was getting by. The other we think because it was too caked with crud to cool, and overheated. At the time having a shop do it with OE parts was gonna be two thirds the cost of replacing the saw. One I did myself with OE parts, except I had the shop connect the piston and rod for me. The other I set aside for many years, and my son recently got it going with aftermarket parts.
The shop is looking into it. Possible warranty coverage also.

It's bull**** a saw of this caliber would have issues like this after less than 10 cords of wood. I baby that thing as well.

The shop is looking into it. Possible warranty coverage also.

It's bulls*** a saw of this caliber would have issues like this after less than 10 cords of wood. I baby that thing as well.

Hopefully warranty will cover it ....or the shop 'push it through' for goodwill.

Anything electronic can fail. Since you saw is M-tronic it has a sensor and a solenoid to control fuel/air mixture.

Anything goes wrong there while operating full throttle and it would take long to fry a piston or score a cylinder.

Hope they get it fixed for you.

or the shop 'push it through'
This was the conversation, I was ticked about the situation, being 6 weeks past the warranty period. They kind of said "that 2 years isn't concrete". I hope they find a blatant defect that is something Stihl related.

Maybe I can twist some necks ang get that 500i on a partial trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom