Finished Installing Icon Stage 1 and TJM 50mm Heavy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
From what I can tell I'm the first to have a TJM 50mm heavy (non-progressive) and Icon 2.0 Stage 1 shocks with 30mm poly spacers all around. I've been reading posts for weeks but I can't find this EXACT combo of shocks and springs.

The ride is awesome over my stock LX suspension. Still need to have my caster plates installed as it wanders a bit but I love it! Achieved a solid 4" on each corner.

I'll post up some feedback once I get it all wrapped up.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for everything? This is the set up I've been thinking of going with for a while now. Thanks

You have no extra weight? I'm ASSuming that's why you got 4" lift instead of ~2-2.5"?

From what I can tell I'm the first to have a TJM 50mm heavy (non-progressive) and Icon 2.0 Stage 1 shocks with 30mm poly spacers all around. I've been reading posts for weeks but I can't find this EXACT combo of shocks and springs.

The ride is awesome over my stock LX suspension. Still need to have my caster plates installed as it wanders a bit but I love it! Achieved a solid 4" on each corner.

I'll post up some feedback once I get it all wrapped up.

Pictures?

What tires and size will you be going with?

And how would you describe the "awesome" ride?

You have no extra weight? I'm ASSuming that's why you got 4" lift instead of ~2-2.5"?
No bumpers or sliders. A roof rack and sliders are on the way though. I have a Diehard Platinum up front and about 250lbs of tools, recovery gear, Puma, subwoofer type stuff in the back. With camping gear and the kids loaded up, I'll run another 400lbs. This is why I kept the 30mm spacers in place. The springs really gave me only 3".

Last edited:
Pictures?

What tires and size will you be going with?
I'll post some pics tonight. It was too dark last night. The fantasy is 35", reality may be 33". Once the Prinsu rack is on, I'll know exactly what size tires to keep it fitting in my garage. I've considered a spare set of rims with 35" tires for weekend warrior work. I'll know in October when the sliders and rack arrive.

And how would you describe the "awesome" ride?
Firm and controlled but not jarring or abrupt. Velvety and silky but not floaty or squishy as the original Lexus suspension was. I had a rental Tundra for a week and it's similar to that. Road ruts and bumps are absorbed and the truck recovers in a matter of fact fashion. The rebound and compression seem very well balanced considering the truck is pushing 5800lbs now. I need a dirt road to run down for some real feedback. I'll post up once I can drive it for a week.

I rode in an OME 2.5 lift and it felt like a leaf spring 4x4, didn't care for the sharp, jarring ride even though it managed it fine.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for everything? This is the set up I've been thinking of going with for a while now. Thanks
The springs were $375 with free shipping from Summit Racing, the Icon shocks $722 with tax from Super Duty HQ here in town including a nifty set of aluminum blocks to hold the 5/8 (or 3/4) shafts and tax.

The truck weighs 5450 with fuel, 2660 front and 2800 rear.

The springs were $375 with free shipping from Summit Racing, the Icon shocks $722 with tax from Super Duty HQ here in town including a nifty set of aluminum blocks to hold the 5/8 (or 3/4) shafts and tax.

The truck weighs 5450 with fuel, 2660 front and 2800 rear.
Here's the aluminum blocks. Used a C-Clamp on this and it was wonderfully effective.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440353366.592024.jpg

Achieved a solid 4" on each corner.

He's probably right as how it sat I'm sure the stock setup was sagging. So measuring strictly before and after, no settling it came out to that. 50mm is really only about 2", plus with the spacers that gets it to about 3" on paper, so the 4" gain in reality is slightly skewed. But what's an inch anyway, I'm sure it looks amazing...I think...if it happened...can't wait for pics.

Here's the initial measurements, the drivers side is 1/8" higher in the front and 1/4" in the rear. I'm guessing that things will settle and normalize a bit over the next week. I'll measure and post up hub to fender again in a week or two.

Before:
Ground to Fender (275/65-16 tires)
DF - 34"
DR - 34-3/8
PF - 34"
PR - 34-5/8

Hub to Fender
DF - 19-3/4
DR - 20"
PF - 19-3/8
PR - 20-1/8

After
Ground to Fender (275/65-16 tires)
DF - 38-1/2"
DR - 38"
PF - 38-3/4"
PR - 38-1/2"

Hub to Fender
DF - 24"
DR - 23-3/4"
PF - 24"
PR - 24"

Net Gain Hub to Fender
DF - 4-1/4"
DR - 3-3/4"
PF - 4-5/8"
PR - 3-7/8"

Firm and controlled but not jarring or abrupt. Velvety and silky but not floaty or squishy as the original Lexus suspension was. I had a rental Tundra for a week and it's similar to that. Road ruts and bumps are absorbed and the truck recovers in a matter of fact fashion. The rebound and compression seem very well balanced considering the truck is pushing 5800lbs now. I need a dirt road to run down for some real feedback. I'll post up once I can drive it for a week.

I rode in an OME 2.5 lift and it felt like a leaf spring 4x4, didn't care for the sharp, jarring ride even though it managed it fine.

Thanks for the detailed description!

2?...
Can you give a roof height?
What's the need for the aluminum shaft block? It's a needed rebuild tool or to change a shock mounting eye?

Best riding 2.0 smoothie shocks for Cruiser you will find.

They are also 26.4" long [670mm] so longer than most straight up.

We normally run them with our slinky long travel coils 3" lift to keep the coils captive on tourers, so our 400kg constant load coils would be similar in rate to the TJM [King] coils your using, but without the spacers.

2?...
Can you give a roof height?
What's the need for the aluminum shaft block? It's a needed rebuild tool or to change a shock mounting eye?
I don't have a roof height yet, I was planning on letting it settle a bit then measuring prior to the roof rack install. I'll post that up soon.

The aluminum blocks are placed on either side of the hardened steel shaft to hold the shaft while you tighten the bushing nuts. They are intended for bench shock rebuilds according to the guy at SDHQ. Beats using vice grips and ruining the polished hardened steel finish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom