Finally Started (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 20 yrs, I have decided to fix the rust in my cruiser. It is a 78 that I am going to install an aqualu tub. I started repair front panels and hood. I am probably going to have a few questions and hope you guys will help.

Since this will not be a complete off frame restoration, my first question is addressing the frame. It is pretty solid with just surface rust. The attached pics show what I am dealing with. I have wire wheeled some areas. With motor/Tran still in, should I spray paint? Brush Rustbullet? Any other recommendations?

20210216_164421.jpg

20210216_164426.jpg

20210216_164448.jpg

20210216_164448.jpg

20210216_164503.jpg

If not doing a frame off, still try to get all the gunga hiding inside the channels out. You’ll be surprised what’s hiding in there. I don’t see much rust to speak off so nothing wrong with cleaning it up and spraying new paint on it. Check the rear though by spring perches and frame brace based on the rear qrtr panel rust. I did chassis saver but had frame blasted so it would adhere well. Good luck! I’m doing all panels and patching... will be nice to compare progress.

If you're replacing the tub, you're pretty much doing a frame off. Pull the drivetrain and go for it 🤠

Cowl and firewall isn't that bad - camera phones make great tools. If I was that far in (and keeping the rig for a while), I'd just strip it down. They're pretty simple rigs, and in some ways "all-in" is easier than trying to work around stuff in place.

Either way, definitely see what's hiding in the frame...I had half a beach inside my frame rails. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom