Builds Finally doing it, 4" lift on my LX (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered up a pair of BHMMAPPING's rear lower shock protectors: https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/434037-80-series-rear-lower-shock-mount-guard.html

attachment.php

Just did a 730 miles trip to Yosemite this past weekend. No creaking at all. Drove FANTASTIC. I still have the steering wheel not straight but once the DIY panhard kits come in I can take care of all of that. Off road, and I use that term loosely on this trip, the truck handled great. The shocks...well, I'm not a huge fan. I think for most people they are fine but what I didn't like is how they reacted on washboard roads. The contents of my truck was bouncing all over the place. On the highway, I can feel every freaking expansion joint. It was annoying. My wife hasn't complained too much other than to say they feel too stiff.

You went with the OME nitros/sport, right?

I have those too, and your description is spot on...fine but could be more refined. Certainly better than saggy old ones.

FWIW, on the Nitrocharger Sport, ARB does state that they do need some miles to "break in". So I would give it a little more before you decide if you like them or not. Also what tire pressure where you running on the washboards?

FWIW, on the Nitrocharger Sport, ARB does state that they do need some miles to "break in". So I would give it a little more before you decide if you like them or not. Also what tire pressure where you running on the washboards?

I will absolutely be keeping these one to get those "some miles". I'm hoping they do soften the rough edges a bit.

Washboard I went a full tire pressure which is currently at 34psi. I knew this going in and that was something I wanted to feel. With my OEM shocks, although with lots of miles, it absorbed a bunch without feeling like I'm getting a good ass pounding. Er...what...I mean...:flamingo:

I won't bore you with too many details, but I have 20k miles on mine with OME stock height springs. They are a little softer now than first install, but I still can feel the expansion joints in the highway as you put it. They were very stiff on first install.

I run about 37 psi on the highway, 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs.

Going camping this weekend again. Most likely camping all along the coast. I wasn't able to get more done before I left. Bummer.

Did another camping trip and off-roading session. The truck performed flawlessly. In fact I would say that the OME Sports have INDEED softened up...a little bit. I purposely did not deflate the tires before going up the trails because I wanted to see how the shocks would perform. The trails were mostly climbing and washboard but there were a bunch of off shoots that had nice big ruts that hadn't seen maintenance in awhile. Never an issue. No squeaking (thank you OEM rubber). Also finally got my delivery of the Panhard DIY weld in kits from LANDTANK/AJIK. Gotta figure out a time to get those done. No idea when.

image-3398510268.jpg

image-3008889364.jpg

thanks Joey! Just an FYI, they are designed so that you use the factory bolt as a centering aid by sliding it down through the center of the press tool and into the bushing.

Figured that was what the hole was for ;)

Getting all of my ducks in a row to finally complete this project. Spent the past four weekends camping so time to get some work done. :D

BTW you never replied about my fan clutch :flipoff2:

Will that press tool cover all of the control arm and panhard bushings?

Will that press tool cover all of the control arm and panhard bushings?

No just the bushings at axle end of the control arms. Do to the way the bushings are designed the tool needs to be a slip fit in the arms bore so to make the most contact with the outer ring of the bushing. We've been talking about putting together whole kits for the entire truck but decided we would see how this one was received first.

No just the bushings at axle end of the control arms. Do to the way the bushings are designed the tool needs to be a slip fit in the arms bore so to make the most contact with the outer ring of the bushing. We've been talking about putting together whole kits for the entire truck but decided we would see how this one was received first.

So you know, no idea this existed until I was going thru Josh's site looking for something else. May be good to at least whisper it from the roof tops ;)

AKELLA sells the bushings, he'd be good too.

Bummer, I do a ton of bushings for various cars at work and it's tough to find the proper size press tools for the reason you mention. I need to do all of my control arm bushings one of these days and having the right size press tool would have given me the motivation. :doh:

BENO got me the bushings and bolts I needed along with the Tierods. It's all coming together to polish this thing off.

image-2451315235.jpg

image-601862428.jpg

image-1244612278.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom