FINALLY - '67 FJ45 LPB Resoration Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kotekaman

Keeping it in low range
Threads
Website
dasmiffs.com
FINALLY - '67 FJ45 LPB Restoration Begins

My '67 FJ45 is finally getting restored (not resored as the thread title suggests...)!

I don't realistically have the time (or the skills) to restore this 45 to the quality it deserves (I spend too much time working), so I am having a group of cool cruiserheads who do this for a living perform the restoration (see banner above the shop window on the first attached photo).

I started out with an FJ40, but before any work was started, I swapped it for the FJ45. A lot of reasons for that, but I think the main one was advanced cruiser sickness had set in (maybe it becomes terminal when I HAVE to own a bone stock FJ25?)

As described in the above link, I fell in love with cruisers while relying on the 70 series as a daily driver/work truck while working in Indonesia. Since then, I have been making plans and working with the shop to get my own cruiser built. After some disappointments and delays, I was able to hook up with Onur, who is now the General Manager for the company. Onur is a true Toyota OEM fanatic, and has given me a lot of good guidance and suggestions for the build. I can say with confidence that the build is in good hands with Onur and the rest of the guys, and am looking forward to watching this build, and getting a professionaly restored/slightly modified FJ45.

The FJ45 ready for body work, fabrication/mock-up:
Mock-Up.jpg

And a picture of her when we first met....
IMG_0558.jpg

The plans for the build are:

Drivetrain:

• Rebuilt 3F-E - I went round and round on this one, from the OEM engine to a LM7 SBC to a Cummins 4BT and everything in-between. In the end, I can't legally get a Toyota IVD-FTV turbo diesel here in the States (believe me, I tried), so I wanted at least a fuel injected gas engine, but couldn't bear giver her anything other than a big, heavy (and reliable) Toyota F engine. I guess I've realized that with this particular FJ45, she's not about getting from point A to B in a hurry, but about the journey in between. At least she'll still have a Toyota "F" soul.
  • H55F Transmission with FJ60 split transfer case
  • FJ60 front axle with disc brakes
  • FJ60 rear axle with drum brakes
  • ARB Lockers front and rear
Suspension and Steering:
  • Will reverse the SOA back to SUA with Proffits shackle reversal and OME 2.5" lift.
  • Saginaw PS
Fabrication/Frame Mods:
  • Interior Roll Cage - Don't plan on rolling, but who does? I've seen the aftermath of a few 70 series PU rollovers, and the cab has crushed nearly flat every time.
  • Rear and Mid-Frame sliders - Don't think she'll be a serious wheeler, but let's be realistic, I live a few hours from Moab, she'll want to go, but she's got a big a$$ hanging out behind the rear axle...
  • Custom Front Bumper (winch, grille guard)
Other:
  • Paint - Fashion Green #2 (T303)
  • Bedliner inside the tub and bed
  • Interior - I haven't quite nailed this one down yet, I want the stock instrument cluster, but am not sure if the gauges will be enough to keep me appraised of the health of the newly rebuilt 3F-E.
  • Aftermarket bucket seats
  • Aqualu Bed
  • Everything else as stock as possible!
I have recently moved back to the U.S. (SLC, UT), the FJ45 is getting restored nearby in Tooele, so I should be able to keep close tabs on the progress, and take lots of pictures of the build to post on this thread. Enjoy!
IMG_0558.jpg
Mock-Up.jpg

Last edited:
Just ran across this thread.

I'll add some pics to this. It's going to come out great and I am happy we changed some of the initial direction that we had started out on.

First things first--put a Toyota heart back in.

Robbie Antonson is here working with Proffitt's and he will be building the engine.

:)
IMG_0689[1].jpg
IMG_0692[1].jpg

IMG_0698[1].jpg

Just ran across this thread.

I'll add some pics to this. It's going to come out great and I am happy we changed some of the initial direction that we had started out on.

First things first--put a Toyota heart back in.

Robbie Antonson is here working with Proffitt's and he will be building the engine.

Very interested to see how that bumper integrates with the frame/bed.
I am struggling with what to do with mine...
Subscribed.

Update

Hope Eric doesn't mind I post up some updated pics. Front bumper detail, rear bumper detail and mounting/bracing.

Engine placement (Eric will be installing a brand new H55F with rebuilt split case using only OEM parts) with custom mounts as well as custom cross member integrating OEM isolators.

Side sliders (bolt on) with integrated side steps.

Frame will be going to blasters early next week. 60 series axle housings are getting torn down, ground down, blasted, primered and repainted. All new OEM components--axle shafts, birfs, calipers, all brake hardware, all nuts and bolts are brand new OEM.

I love shiny parts.

IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg

Onur sent some pictures of the mostly finished front bumper with grille guard. Pretty impressive detailed fabrication work, beautiful lines on the bumper. Looks like the bumper/grille guard concept is being taken to a new level!

• Driving Light Cutouts
  • License Plate Indent
  • Shackle Attachments
  • Winch and Fairlead Mount
  • A pretty sweet 3-D grille guard that will flow nicely with the body lines of the FJ45. I really like how the center hoop and fairlead mount integrate into a structural unit.
IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

Update

Things are moving along nicely on the build. If no issues crop up, it should be ready for Cruise Moab! Current Status:

Body Work - Nearly Finished
Fabrication - Finished
Frame is off, ready for sandblasting
Axles - Being Rebuilt
Engine Block - At Machine Shop
Head - Machined, Being Rebuilt
Transfer Case - Rebuilt, mated to transmission

Onur sent a few pictures, I'll try to swing by the shop next week and get a few more.

Completed and assembled trasmission/transfer case:

IMG_1063.jpg

Machined head, getting put back together. Robbie has tweaked the engine a bit to get a bit better performance without sacrificing reliability. Has been ported to increase flow...

IMG_1065.jpg

Bottom of head - has been milled down a bit to increase compression....

IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg

Last edited:
Frame

Got to swing by the shop today and see the build progress. Not a lot of changes from last week's update, but did get to see the finished results of the fab work on the frame. There were a few welds to finish up on the frame, and it will be off to sandblasting tomorrow.

The whole frame:
IMG_2186.jpg

Detail of the mid-frame sliders. The factory running boards will sit just over top of the sliders. They also have the rollbar frame ties integrated into them.
IMG_2185.jpg

The custom cross member/transmission/transfer case mount. An aluminum skid plate will be mounted to the cross member towards the rear.
IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2186.jpg
IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg

More Frame

I guess I'll make multiple posts to get all of the pictures up, as I can't upload more than 3 pictures per post...:)

More frame pictures:

Mount from the frame to the side of the rear bumper/slider (one on each side of the frame):
IMG_2181.jpg

Close up on the frame tie for the roll bar, mounted to the mid-frame slider. Pretty sweet gusset!
IMG_2187.jpg

Engine Mount:
IMG_2189.jpg
IMG_2181.jpg
IMG_2187.jpg
IMG_2189.jpg

Fuel Tank

I'm not a big fan of having a fuel tank in the cab...so I decided to have the shop eliminate the in-cab tank and mount one to the frame underneath the bed. Most of the off-the-shelf fuel tanks had wierd dimensions, or were very small. I wanted to get the most range possible, in a single tank. Proffits delivered, and fabricated a custom aluminum 30 gal tank that fits perfectly where the spare would mount in the frame. It still needs a fuel fill tube, mounting tabs etc..., but the tank fits perfectly!

IMG_2179.jpg

The OEM fuel fill neck in the cab was removed, and the patch is almost complete. Incidentally this modification makes the interior roll cage much easier to fit:

IMG_2217.jpg

A custom fuel neck was cut into the bed, and a FJ40-style fuel door will be fitted. This did require a bit of modification to the bed space in order to allow the fuel fill tube to go from the side of the bed to the tank (still needs to be fully welded in):

IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom