Fender Flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg102065#msg102065 date=1076360738]
Do you need to use pop rivits like the other type?

[/quote]

The flares have a lip on them that gets trimmed off, and there is some other extra material on the mounting side that gets removed too, but I used, as did the orange and yellow trucks in the links, 1/4" bolts with a good size fender washer, and put the holes for the fasteners up towards the top edge of the flare, on the inside. Once you get a set in front of you, you will understand what I am talking about, and see where you can place the bolt holes. I like the fact that you are not using pop rivets, and or screws. The bolts are a far more positive form of retention, a cleaner install as they are not seen, and makes taking them off easy too, if you ever have to.( I have, as I have repaired crash damage and painted the truck a couple times in the last five years;) )

Really easy install, do not sweat it.

-Steve

If you're looking for inexpensive stuff, you may want to consider a universal set that I have found. They are made by Pacer and cost $40 for a set. I have not put mine on yet (on the trail beater), but they seem like a pretty heavy extrusion (urethane). You'll have to modify them a bit - cut an angle where you make the turns, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Good Luck...

none of the FAQ threads seem to have an OEM part# or application for the TJ flares, I don't know a thing about jeeps, is there a particular model or year that I am looking for flares for (wrangler/sahara/islander/hello kitty) or are they all the same?
the local stealership is less than helpful, I just want to know exactly what I need so that I can be in and out with minimal frustration

none of the FAQ threads seem to have an OEM part# or application for the TJ flares, I don't know a thing about jeeps, is there a particular model or year that I am looking for flares for (wrangler/sahara/islander/hello kitty) or are they all the same?
the local stealership is less than helpful, I just want to know exactly what I need so that I can be in and out with minimal frustration

Rear TJ flares look ok.And a cheap mod.
But if you wanta use Heep parts.Might as well use YJ rear flares.
They would be cheaper.Because they are the older year model.
I've gone through the Heep thing.

MY 40 came with YJ rear flares on it, from the PO.
It was the 1st thing I took off.
I like my Jeeps.
But they have no place on a 40. IMO.

I thought that the yj ones were rounder? anyway, I just want to get a bit more width, 'cause I'm tired of the forward flung mud from my exposed rear tires.
the only thing I can source locally is bushwacker$ @ 250/pair
anyway, need a model/year of tj for the ones mentioned by poser and others.

I put a set of free YJ flares on my FJ as a temporary thing. But now I found a set of free TJ flares. Much nicer.

More TJ Flare questions

I looked around on Ebay for TJ Fender Flares. I see that they list the model years, like '97-'04. Are these what everyone seems to be recommending? I bought a pair of JT outfitters that did not fit my wheel wells. The rear of the flares extended well below my tub. It is a fiberglass tub from a PO and I do not know how it was cut. I have some 15 1/2" wide swampers on it and really need some flares to protect the new paint job. I would have trimmed the JT Outfitter's flares except that they had rounded, moulded ends and would have looked bad. Can the TJ flares be cut down at the ends and still look decent? PS, I don't know a TJ from a CJ from a....

Yeah I dont think they would look bad cut if need be. The TJ flares are more square the the CJ style and others. The nice thing is they TJ flares are wide so if you want you can cut a huge gaping hole to put them in for more tire clearance.

TJ Flares

Here is some pictures I used to help me decide on TJ's or not. Hope it helps. TJ Flares Hung.JPG

TJ Flares Photoshopped.JPG
The second picture is photo shopped to give me a better idea of what it will look like.

The Tj flares are pretty wide they look great with wide tires but not so with skinny's. I can get you a back picture if you wish.
TJ Flares Hung.JPG
TJ Flares Photoshopped.JPG

my tires aren't that wide, but they stick out pretty good
attachment.php

I think that the stock width tj flares will be fine.
what year and model are the ones you are using
or is a tj a tj a tj?

Last edited:
thanks for the pics, I am hoping to mount them a bit lower and trim the flare a bit more (as opposed to the body) if need be, I think I just need to get my hands on a set for a test fit to see if they look okay w/ my wee tires

I could get a set of Metal Flares for the 40 made here for about $140 each side but I think rubber ones are more popular. :)
Ehsan

yeah, it's nice to have something that will bounce back if it takes a hit. I considered getting the aqualu ones, but in the long run, I think the rubber will be more forgiving

TJ Flares

Here is some pictures I used to help me decide on TJ's or not.
tj-flares-hung-jpg.157982
What’s wrong in that picture, why the flare looks different/longer than in other FJs?
fj40-rock-sliders-white-knuckle-off-road-2_595.jpg

s6301388-jpg.921820

roundup2007_00520_jpg.jpg

URL][img]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom