FJ40 hood, bib and fender alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
My 40 is a mishmash of various model year parts. I'm running a split hood, an old style bib with parking lights somewhat newer fenders and skirts. The cowl is either a 76 or 78 model year, the frame is a 78.
I'm having an issue with the standing seam on the front inside edge of the hood rubbing against the radiator, to the point that it will eventually wear a hole in the radiator.
It doesn't hit when sitting on flat ground but when I wheel the truck, rock crawling sort of thing, the front end flexes such that the panels move around. The hood hinges are tight so it's not that. All of those front body panels move around against each other. In it's normal resting state, currently, the hood sits back farther than it should on the top of the bib. All the other seams between those front body parts seem to be about correct. There's no obvious sagging or misalignment.
I can't imagine the radiator is too tall.
I think I'm going to start from scratch so to speak and loosen the fender bolts, the bib to the skirts and fenders and try to align everything up better.
I guess my question is: were there any differences in body panel sizes from early, say 66 67 68 versus 76 and 78 era 40s?

Could be a lot of things. Loose or missing bolts/plate nuts, bent stiffeners, rotting frame flexing, mis-matching parts, Bubba Body Work....
Its 45 years old, chyropractic work is expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom