Fender Flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to put 33x12.50 (actually 305-70R16) MT/R's on my '78 40. I need to cut out some of the rear fenderwells, and put flares on it. What's a good durable brand? I've heard some of them crack easily.

Not lifted yet. Don't see more than a 4" lift with Revolvers in the rear. I plan on ARB's. Fairly heavy duty 4wheeling - not extreme. Rubicon type sruff.

4" lift will do fine over 33"tires. I run with a few guys using that exact set-up. They touch under extreme articulation but not enough to worry about. Bouldery stuff will wipe the flares right off. ARBs are nice to have. I just haven't found room in my budget yet.

I have 4" wide rear TJ flares on the rear of my red 40. I am 6.75" wider than stock, WMS-WMS, but, I have two friends that are using stock TJ rear flares, on their 40's, the yellow and orange tucks.

They can be seen here:

Yellow truck:

17May03-20.jpg

17May03-35.jpg

Orange truck:

17May03-46.jpg

14Jun03-10.jpg

Some may lose it over the idea of a jeep part on a Toyota, but I have not found another brand flare that can take the abuse of being pinned between and smashed flat on a rock or tree and the body of the truck, and bounce right back. The paint might be missing, but the flare will still be there.

Stop by a 4x4 shop that installs larger flares on jeeps, that is where I have found the sets that are on these trucks. Did not pay more than 75.00 for the pair of stock take offs...

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
The PO mashed both sides in the rear, so I need to trim them anyway. That's why I'm getting some type of flares. I'm just not sure which type yet - I've heard some crack really easily. I saw some rubber ones a couple of days ago that looked pretty durable, but I didn't see a brand on them, so I figured sombody here would know...

Cant go wrong with stock tj flares. I bought mine off of Nolen after he beat on them. Then I've beat on them some and they still look good.

Joseph

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg101703#msg101703 date=1076297275]

Some may lose it over the idea of a jeep part on a Toyota, but I have not found another brand flare that can take the abuse of being pinned between and smashed flat on a rock or tree and the body of the truck, and bounce right back. The paint might be missing, but the flare will still be there.

Stop by a 4x4 shop that installs larger flares on jeeps, that is where I have found the sets that are on these trucks. Did not pay more than 75.00 for the pair of stock take offs...
/quote]

That's okay - I can handle jeep parts. For $75 bucks I'll buy two pair for when the first set falls off...

:D
[/quote]

I've got the SOR UB40 flares. No cracking, still flexible. Lost some lustre, but still look good.

Do your state laws require the flares? I'm just curious why a flare is needed. My 35s hang out pretty good and I don't have any problems with it.

You guessed it, state law...

Try again with the link...

Can not find them on the site...

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg101735#msg101735 date=1076299231]
You guessed it, state law...

[/quote]That sucks. How many states have that crap?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg101743#msg101743 date=1076299741]
Try again with the link...

Can not find them on the site...
[/quote]

For some reason the entire line did not become a link. If you past the entire line in your browser, it will take you there.

Here is a picture of my vehicle with 33" tires and Bushwakers. The 2 " of lift created by the shackles will be replaced by a 4" lift this weekend.

Ken

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg101760#msg101760 date=1076300625]
That sucks. How many states have that crap?
[/quote]

Far more than not.

I know people that have been harrassed in Moab about rubber sticking out past their body on jeeps and Land Cruisers, and past the flares too, by the state police. The only state that I am aware of that does not have a law about tire size to body/wheel openeing is AZ.

-Steve

So Ken,

Are those mounted with pop rivets and a dozen holes in the body panel?

Actually, drilled holes with sheet metal screws. Allowed me to take them off when I painted it.

They shouldn't have that problem here in Utah. I used to do inspections and the state law said the tire didn't have to be covered.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=11230;start=msg101783#msg101783 date=1076302132]
They shouldn't have that problem here in Utah. I used to do inspections and the state law said the tire didn't have to be covered.
[/quote]

Was part of a group that was pulled over in '95 when I was out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom