February 2024 club run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My baby is stuck in 4h. Waiting on parts. Is this a 4h trail?

There are sections and situations where 4L is preferred. Personally, I would be hesitant taking a wounded rig on any run. If this happens on the trail we can manage but going in knowing your rig is compromised ahead of time should be avoided. Factor in the weather uncertainty, I would play it safe. We hope you get the part in time to join the run. Otherwise we will miss you.

I missed the recent club meeting, but interested in this run. Would appreciate some additional details on what kind of trail/conditions/etc. to expect. I've never wheeled in the snow.

There are sections and situations where 4L is preferred. Personally, I would be hesitant taking a wounded rig on any run. If this happens on the trail we can manage but going in knowing your rig is compromised ahead of time should be avoided. Factor in the weather uncertainty, I would play it safe. We hope you get the part in time to join the run. Otherwise we will miss you.
Toyota just called and said the parts are in that I will need and might need. If I have time this weekend I will drop the skid plates, lower the transfer case, remove the shifter assembly, free up the seized parts and replace, it is just finding the time.

Would appreciate some additional details on what kind of trail/conditions/etc. to expect. I've never wheeled in the snow.
The trail is very easy in dry weather. Fire road easy. Snow and mud wheeling is a lot of fun! I feel more connected with my rig after wheeling in the snow. There are lateral movements in snow that rarely occur when the rig is planted on dry ground. They do happen on rocks and at speed but in those situations would be nearly or actually out of control and difficult to recover partly because they are sudden and surprising. It happens more frequently in the snow and fun after the first few times.

Last edited:
waiting for the latest snow depth report.......my at tires (cooper xlt at), even though 3 peak snow rated, do not have the snow traction i expect/need. wondering if I should invest in chains........

Yes, I have extensive snow driving experience: Lived at alta utah for 2yrs (600" snow typically, only brought out the chains 2x on my astro van w. summer tires:rofl:), ski patroled 20+ yrs at snow valley, & grew up in northern VT (did I say ski).

Hey, maybe that's why I moved to SoCal.

Look on Craigslist. I found some really nice ones for the correct width but with larger circumference and just put them on and cut to length. Paid 75 but they are worth much more, they have the asphalt destroying cleats on the rungs. In Crestline and roads, paved, are all clear.

most excellent. How much snow off the road do you have and what elevation?
We are less than 5000 and there is snow just not a lot. Holcomb probably has much more.

Weather is looking good. No new snow is expected.Whatever white stuff we get is likely already on the ground. See you all Saturday at Mile High Cafe.
Anyone getting breakfast?
i'm planning to meet for breakfast. Looking forward to this run!

My son really enjoyed the Calico run, and has been pestering me to take him out again - and I'm happy to oblige. Getting kids off the vidz and out in nature isn't always easy, so you gots to take every opportunity you can to get them out there. But this will be my first time Snow wheeling - or honestly, ever driving a vehicle with snow on the road/trail. So pardon my noobishness, but I wasn't quite clear where we landed on the discussion of the necessity of chains. It appears a fine gentleman who lives to ski and who has extensive experience driving in snowing conditions had (at least at one point) some concerns about having adequate traction with his AT tyres. I get that we aren't expecting any new snow, but that there's going to be snow on the trail. My rig has well-worn "RT"s. I wasn't planning on getting chains. Kinda sounds like they wouldn't be necessary. Am I reading that right?

My son really enjoyed the Calico run, and has been pestering me to take him out again - and I'm happy to oblige. Getting kids off the vidz and out in nature isn't always easy, so you gots to take every opportunity you can to get them out there. But this will be my first time Snow wheeling - or honestly, ever driving a vehicle with snow on the road/trail. So pardon my noobishness, but I wasn't quite clear where we landed on the discussion of the necessity of chains. It appears a fine gentleman who lives to ski and who has extensive experience driving in snowing conditions had (at least at one point) some concerns about having adequate traction with his AT tyres. I get that we aren't expecting any new snow, but that there's going to be snow on the trail. My rig has well-worn "RT"s. I wasn't planning on getting chains. Kinda sounds like they wouldn't be necessary. Am I reading that right?
When we planned this run, we were hoping it might be a “snow run”. However, I doubt that’s the case now. There’s no snow in the immediate forecast, and the “Snow Imagery” function on my OnXOffroad map isn’t showing any snow on our route.

However, I’m not sure what an RT tires is. How does that compare to all-terrain or mud-terrain tires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom