Favorite Floor jack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Another recent thread reminded me that I probably need to replace my aging Craftsman floor jack.

I'd like something that lifts higher (I often have to place a couple of 2x8 blocks to get enough height to change tires.

Any favorites that you'd recommend?

I've had a pro eagle kratos for years and like it. Honestly not sure why you'd buy it over the badlands one at this point. Benefit is it doesn't deafen you when rolling around.

I have a 1.5 ton pro eagle which lacks in lift height and is marginal on weight capability. As mentioned, the quietness has a big appeal, as well as the ability to run over small pebbles (or zip ties) is nice.

Would definitely also get the harbor freight badlands version for the ability to lock in the shaft for trucking it about.

Downside is they’re a bit heavier than the lightest jacks out there, so if your usage involves lifting the jack often, there are better options.

I have one of these and it works very well compared to my (soon to be supplanted) old craftsman floor jack. It is showing out of stock currently, but they pop in and out of stock occasionally.

Smooth on the way up and down.

I have one I do not recommend. My Big Red Torin is almost impossible to release down smoothly. The truck usually crashes down pretty hard. It goes up high enough for all routine work and is stable, but I would not buy it again.

I have a 1.5 ton pro eagle which lacks in lift height and is marginal on weight capability. As mentioned, the quietness has a big appeal, as well as the ability to run over small pebbles (or zip ties) is nice.

Would definitely also get the harbor freight badlands version for the ability to lock in the shaft for trucking it about.

Downside is they’re a bit heavier than the lightest jacks out there, so if your usage involves lifting the jack often, there are better options.
I was trying to get one of these for months. All the HF around near me never showed it in stock and once one finally did, I showed up and they said they were all spoken for. I guess you can pre-order but have to call the store since they don't allow on-line purchase. I ended up with this one which has been enough to get my LX off the floor to change tires.

If you haven't had an aluminum jack before, for sure try one out. They are so light, it's easy to sling them around anywhere. I have an Arcan 3Ton jack as well, red, and used to be cheapest at Costco ( https://www.costco.com/3-ton-profes...and-steel-service-jack.product.100222458.html ). It looks like Home Depot has the equivalent (I think?) for cheaper per @gasman4u's post above. HD also appears to have one that extends slightly taller for $60 more (https://www.costco.com/3-ton-profes...and-steel-service-jack.product.100222458.html ), not sure what else about it is different.

Been happy with my Daytona. Plenty of models to choose from. In Project Farm's tests... it compared well to the snap on.

Some find him annoying. Some find his testing methods unrealistic. I find that he costs me money... :)

I have a 30 year old Craftsman aluminum "professional" floor jack that is still going strong.

I have both the HF aluminum 3 ton and their badlands.

Badlands works great if you really need the height, but it does not have swivel casters so repositioning it can be a task in itself. The aluminum 3 ton is excellent, but only if its on a smooth surface!

I got the HF Daytona Super Duty 3 Ton recently to replace my run of the mill HF Chicom unit that is fading. It is heavy but works great. Stabbed the transmisison and Tcase in my Excursion without problem. Easy to raise and lower with precision. I'd buy again at full price.

The Torin is an interesting one, itll go higher enough and does good work. Like mentioned, lowering it is like surgery, the hand required to get it smoothly is intense.

Lifetime would be great, but the problem is the jack for the coupe/sedan isn't always the jack suited for the a low slung sports car which isn't the right jack for the high pickup or SUV. Unfortunately, I have several jacks for different purposes. I need a big honker for the 200. The Daytona seems pretty compelling as much as I am loathe to trust a HF floor jack...

Lifetime would be great, but the problem is the jack for the coupe/sedan isn't always the jack suited for the a low slung sports car which isn't the right jack for the high pickup or SUV. Unfortunately, I have several jacks for different purposes. I need a big honker for the 200. The Daytona seems pretty compelling as much as I am loathe to trust a HF floor jack...
I have no issue w saving $ with HF hydraulic jacks, but would never trust their jack stands, even before they were recalled (or any cheap jack stands for that matter). I have an old HF jack, and it has been bulletproof for close to 15 years. I wouldn't mind a jack with a larger lift height like the badlands, but I get by.

The best floor jack is one I don't have to use!

I have this MAXIMUM 3-ton, which I got on sale for about half, if not a third of the currently advertised price. Lift range is from 4" to 23" - much better than most other options.

1777018.jpg

I get to "Will the performance of this tool decide the fate of a track weekend", answer "no" and get cleared to buy the Badlands lift 😂. But with jack stands, that's a definite "Buy Craftsman or Equivalent".

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say it, the HFT Daytona 3 ton is the best I've ever used, and ive owned many!

Mine is going on 4 years with zero issue.

VERY smooth release, let down.

Also, goes low enough, works on my little silly Prius too! :)

I also have an old Craftsman one thats 20+ years old as a backup, that still works, usually... :p

Last edited:
View attachment 3279420

I get to "Will the performance of this tool decide the fate of a track weekend", answer "no" and get cleared to buy the Badlands lift 😂. But with jack stands, that's a definite "Buy Craftsman or Equivalent".
I used to be a HUGE craftsman guy (still have a LOT of their hand tools when they were still made in USA - some professional line stuff too). Once my SEARS started to liquidate all their "old" made in usa stuff, I went on a buying spree to fill whatever I was missing with their stock on hand. The Craftsman floor jack was caught on sale and will always be my first. I no longer trust it to actually release consistently. My last time, I had to consider where to put my new jack so I could remove the Craftsman. When it decided to release, it didn't exactly go smoothly or slowly. It will be headed to the scrap heap once my HF jack arrives. I never thought I'd be saying I will be replacing my Craftsman anything with HF. True sunsetting of an era I suppose.

I used to be a HUGE craftsman guy (still have a LOT of their hand tools when they were still made in USA - some professional line stuff too). Once my SEARS started to liquidate all their "old" made in usa stuff, I went on a buying spree to fill whatever I was missing with their stock on hand. The Craftsman floor jack was caught on sale and will always be my first. I no longer trust it to actually release consistently. My last time, I had to consider where to put my new jack so I could remove the Craftsman. When it decided to release, it didn't exactly go smoothly or slowly. It will be headed to the scrap heap once my HF jack arrives. I never thought I'd be saying I will be replacing my Craftsman anything with HF. True sunsetting of an era I suppose.
Please donate that. I bet it can be rebuilt with a few o rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom