Fan Or Pulley Noise Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife started up the truck this morning and it was making a very loud noise from what I could hear over the phone. It sounded like the fan was hitting something. I just got a chance to look at it and I’m kind of seem dumbfounded. Not sure where the noise is coming from. I have noticed that it looks to be a replaced part since where the fan bolts to is Blue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. New to that’s forums so sorry if I’m posting the the wrong place. Here’s a video of the noise. It’s a 01 lx470 239k.

Sounds and looks like the fan clutch bearing or the fan bracket bearing connected to the clutch. I believe the blue fan clutch is OEM.

I'd agree with Bullelk. You could also pull the serpentine belt and rotate somethings around to see if anything else is wearing out.

That is your fan bracket bearing letting go. You can see the fan wobbling. The bad noise is the fan rubbing on something, most likely. Hopefully not your radiator. You should replace it ASAP, because when it lets go it can do a lot of damage.

You are about 80% of the way, labor wise, to replace the timing belt and water pump. You may consider it, even if your only half way there in miles.

Simple, grab the fan by hand and move it on all directions, if you feel a movement then the pulley is bad. OEM lasts easy 250 K miles any non-OEM probably 50K.

Gracious. My fan bracket bearing just went out on me with not a peep of a warning. I could have been many places today but happened to be 1/2 mile from home.

Bad one off now waiting on new Aisin bracket to arrive.

Bonus pictures of my 16 year old timing belt with 297k miles.

IMG_8071.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8067.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

Trust me, ONLY an OEM belt can go this long. NEVER EVER do this with Gates or any other make. Not sure how Mitsuboshi would hold, but I do belts every 10-15 years or 125 K miles because I use OEM except in my Prizm, where you can do the belt in about 1 hour and it is non interference engine.

If you plan to keep the truck longer trouble free on the front end, stay with an OEM fan bracket. AISIN is good, far better than any aftermarket, but OEM is 3-5 times better than AISIN.

If you plan to keep the truck longer trouble free on the front end, stay with an OEM fan bracket. AISIN is good, far better than any aftermarket, but OEM is 3-5 times better than AISIN.
Ahhh. I thought AISIN was OEM.

Ahhh. I thought AISIN was OEM.
Any part in a Toyota box is made superior to the part made by the supplier. I experienced it on many occations. For example, Denso makes alternators for many auto makers but the alternators they make for Toyota can last 250+ K miles while denso alternators made for other makes will last about 100K miles.

Toyota owns the largest shares on Denso, Aisin and I believe Tokico too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom