fan clutch replace - who does this crap to their 80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decide to stop being lazy and replace the fan clutch in the 80 that didn't appear to be engaging (from what I thought).

I've only had the rig since last summer and much to my dismay the first time I took it up in the mountains for a camping trip, the thing overheated badly on every incline at slow speed (thank you ScanGauge for *accurate* temp info). I limped it through the weekend doing copious amounts of stopping and cooling down. I figured I'd be in for a HG job if I wasn't careful...and worst case, a tow out of the mountains.

Once home, I plowed through the bazillion posts on overheating and the often humorous posts about fan clutches and their variable performance (thx Landtank and Tools - you guys are the best). I decided to screw it and order up a new clutch from CDan and potentially have 2 on hand - one to be modded, the other as a trail spare. Boy was I glad I ordered one!!

I get out there and unbolt the shroud. A new water pump meant an easy removal. I get the fan clutch out and grab the 10mm socket and pop out the old clutch, take a look and say out loud to no one: What the h-e-double hockey sticks is this ****??? Where is my sweet rebuildable black Aisin???

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

That thing on the left is a complete joke and it's no wonder the motor overheated on the first slow hill it saw!! I can fart more air than that clutch can pull.

I got the new Aisin in without issue and for the first time in who knows how long, I heard a nice whooshing sound on start up. Faded after about 45 seconds. No mods yet...just run it and mod it later.

I'm baffled how anyone could think that that dinky piece of junk would handle the cooling needs of the cruiser. In my best Napoleon Dynamite: Idiots! :bang:

So all better now and ready for some hot weather! :popcorn:
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, certainly a substantial difference there. Hopefully that solves your issues.

PS. Any roots in Vancouver? I knew a J Lindbloom from my church as a youngster...

WOW is right! What a poor excuse for a fan clutch. Any indication as to manufacturer of that gem? Also have you noticed any changes since the install of the blue hub FC?

I was in a time crunch recently and replaced mine with an Autozone cheapy and it looked identical to the one I pulled off. I suspect that clutch wasn't even intended for an 80, it just happened to fit.

Totally agree on it being inadequate...not sure where it came from...probably some cheap parts swap that a shop did and charged the previous owner $300.

I'll hook up my scanguage and watch the typical running temp. I doubt it will have changed much in daily driving as the clutch doesn't engage except during startup. It's too cold right now for it to engage. I guess that means i need to hit the trail for some real world testing.

I'm paranoid about overheating now which is why I'll likely be adding an electric pusher for slow trail duty.

All I can say is if anyone has this fan clutch, either ditch it ASAP or plan to increase your timeline for a blown HG or other overheating related item.

I got lucky and didn't completely torch my engine. On the first day of trail duty and I wasn't looking at my gauges and when I glanced down at my Scanguage the temp was at 248 degrees...I practically had a heart attack. Stopped, idled, checked everything and essentially nursed it on every incline for the next 2 days.

PS. Any roots in Vancouver? I knew a J Lindbloom from my church as a youngster...

Ben! I think you have the right family...and me in specific. 1st EV Free growing up in Vanhooverville! My folks are still there.

I live in Seattle.

Small cruiser world.

Ben! I think you have the right family...and me in specific. 1st EV Free growing up in Vanhooverville! My folks are still there.

I live in Seattle.

Small cruiser world.

Yep Yep. 1st EV Free. Small world!

So how much dog food $ is Cdan getting for the fan clutch these days ?
Gotta love the Scanguage! I think I check mine more often than the speedo.

is the fan clutch you replaced a stock fan clutch or a cheap aftermarket unit installed by the previous owner?

I bought an OEM Aisin "blue" fan clutch from Cdan and replaced the dinky one in there.

So how much dog food $ is Cdan getting for the fan clutch these days ?
Gotta love the Scanguage! I think I check mine more often than the speedo.

Oh heck yeah...the Scanguage is great for temp reading in particular. Really wish there was a real-time trans temp in our rigs that could be pulled...that would be the shiznit. I actually need to mount it and set it up permanently since I don't trust the temp gauge.

As for $ on the fan clutch, I'm forgetting the exact amount but I believe it was around the $130 range plus shipping.

... I'll likely be adding an electric pusher for slow trail duty.

A stock clutch, that is preforming well, will easily keep up with AZ desert conditions. A pusher isn't needed. If more cooling is needed, change the fluid in the clutch.

Yes, all aftermarket clutches that I have seen are much lower performing than stock type.

A stock clutch, that is preforming well, will easily keep up with AZ desert conditions. A pusher isn't needed. If more cooling is needed, change the fluid in the clutch.

Yes, all aftermarket clutches that I have seen are much lower performing than stock type.

Thanks Tools...good to know. I didn't really want to put in a pusher yet but with my experience last summer, I wanted to avoid that again. We were up in the 4-7k altitudes in 90-100 degree heat doing a lot of slow speed up and down. I suspect the new clutch will work fine but I'll do some testing with the new clutch once it warms up.

Thanks Tools...good to know. I didn't really want to put in a pusher yet but with my experience last summer, I wanted to avoid that again. We were up in the 4-7k altitudes in 90-100 degree heat doing a lot of slow speed up and down. I suspect the new clutch will work fine but I'll do some testing with the new clutch once it warms up.

Tools is right. The stock cooling system is so overbuilt that a pusher is wasted money. When my old cruiser was overheating it ended up being a clogged radiator. The old radiator was twice as heavy as the new one from the build up inside it and even then it would only get hot going up large hills.

X2 on what Tools said. The stock fan clutch is more than enough to keep you Cruiser cool on a hot day. I am not sure what the status of your cooling system is, but that should be another point of focus as the warmer weather approaches.

X2 on what Tools said. The stock fan clutch is more than enough to keep you Cruiser cool on a hot day. I am not sure what the status of your cooling system is, but that should be another point of focus as the warmer weather approaches.

agreed. I'm reasonably confident the cooling system is fine. It'll get a system flush as well...the water pump is fairly new and I haven't had any other issues beyond that one trip. That sorry clutch was never gonna be adequate to really "engage" the fan. The new clutch is engaging just like it should. I wanna see frost on the inside of the windows in the 90 degree heat while climbing a 15 degree hill at 3 mph. i wouldn't want the fridge to do overtime keeping my ice cream sandwiches frozen. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom