Failed emissions 84 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok this is my second test and Im perplexed by the results. After the first test I had the Toyota tech adjust my carb and he said that I was almost there but that recommended a cat to get me there. so here's the results from test 1
High speed
HC. CO
Standard 220. 1.20
Reading 89. 1.43
Result. Pass. Fail

Idle test
HC. CO
Standard. 220. 1.20
Reading. 326. 5.69
Result. Fail. Fail

Had carb adjusted and added a bottle of guaranteed to pass. Ran thru a full tank of gas and took her to get tested after driving for about 1 hour. Results from test 2
High speed
HC. CO
StAndard. 220. 1.20
Reading. 105. .96
Result. Pass. Pass

Idle test
HC. CO
Standard. 220. 1.20
Reading. 798. .61
Result. FAIL. Pass

So what would cause the HC's to skyrocket and how can I fix it? Think there is still too much carb cleaner in the system? As an added note the cruiser is originally from Australia so doesn't have any US emissions.

If it is built without emissions, then it is not designed to ever be able to pass them. Everything you do to make it pass is a "cheater" adjustment. Adding a cat might make it pass, but it might not, and if you have a visual requirement, you will still fail. You could try to add the smog junk for an 84 FJ 60, but your carb and intake are not ported to operate these parts. I remember the nightmare I had trying to make my Piggy smog legal. It was missing almost all the smog parts when I bought it. Good Luck!!

Does it idle smoothly? As far as cruisers go I mean. High hc at idle usually means a misfire. With your low co, it could just be a little lean. If your yota tech has a gas analyzer, he should have it close though. A tuneup may be in order, and make sure the intake has no vacuum leaks. If it still won't bring the hc down, a cat might help burn the last bit off. Good luck.

I had the same experience over several years, high HC at idle - valve adjustments did the trick for me

Move to Texas, your vehichle is too old to need emmisions checks!!!!!!!!!!

If your troopie is an import from Australia you should be able to get around emissions..

Check with your import agent, I just got mine through had to get another stamp but I got it listed a exempt..

You are also probably going to struggle as Australia has different regulations so even if you bought all the correct pollution gear you may have to change the intake to get it all set up..

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom