????????? Factory service manual/ front axle rebuild?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WHAT UP H8ERS!!!!!!!! I'm getting close and ready to do my front axle rebuild. And yes. I have read the thread several times. AWESOME!!!!!!! I have never worked on an 80 let alone any vehicle. (NOOB) I will definitely rely on the axle rebuild thread, but would the 91 FSM help any? If so, how do I get my hands on an 91 FJ80 FSM? Do the Haynes or Chilton manuals offer any help for the front axle rebuild? Also, does the front axle rebuild differ any from a 91 FJ80 and a 97 LX450? Comments on the front axle rebuild video that I've seen on several threads? Thanks
Al
IMG_0584.jpg

Well, I go to my FSM's pretty regularly for all kinds of things. Sounds like this will be your first major mechanical undertaking, so in my opinion having a FSM would be a good tool to have. It always helps to have pictures and the step by step directions laid out there for you, for both dis-assembly and assembly, and it will also be great for all those other things that you WILL be doing in the future.

Not sure how long you have before you are looking to tear into it, but I found my 1991 FSM on ebay for a good price. It was actually the very first thing I bought after I bought the 80. I actually have the correct FSM for every one of my 3 Toys and I go to the regularly. you can also check around on some of the online book stores. I picked up the 3 volume FSM for my 88 4runner at a place called abebooks, they had several other FSM's for various years.

Haynes and Chilton are good basics, but they typically cover multiple years and are not as detailed as the FSM. I have both for my pickup and after I got the FSM, I rarely use the Haynes.

Take your time, double check yourself and try to enjoy yourself.

Good luck,

Tucker

***coughing****
1994 FSM
1996 FSM

These aren't specific to your year but will help point you in the right direction until you can find one for a '91. Best of luck.

THANKS FELLAS! Yup, the Chilton and Haynes don't seem to be specific to the 91. I checked out abebooks and the result was similar to half.com. What about that video being sold on MUD? Any comments on the video? What about obtaining a FSM straight from the Toyota Dealership? Has anyone done that?

Toyota Parts and Service <- Toyota Publications, pretty sure you have to call them during business hours though.

You should be able to get the pub # and price from the drop downs. Ebay is a source, but they're way overpriced from what I've seen.

:cheers:

Chap79. Thanks for that. I may be trying to get the info incorrectly. Yohavos. I'll give them a call. I got the publication #. $90 Bucks!!!!! Ouch!!!

I'd be happy paying that for a new manual, bud...

Here's an example of the Fleabay gouge: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Service Repair Manual | eBay

Many people will tell you it'll be the best $100 you spend... that book + IH8MUD + a little motivation = excellent cruiser ownership!

Wow that is pretty high, I think I got mine with the electrical manual for about half that, shipped.... And my 3 volume 4 runner manual from Abe was less than that. Keep an eye out and maybe you can score one for less.

Thanks again fellas! I guess $100 buck is not that bad when you do think of all the $$$$$$$$$$$ one can save. Along the lines of FSM I also own a 97 LX 450. Will a 97 LC FSM be compatible with the LX. I asked CDan and his reply was that the only difference was the electrical and the AC. What do you guys say?

I say listen to CDan. He knows his stuff. But since you have a 91 also, then I would remind you that the 97 FSM is not going to cover the 3FE, trans, semi-float rear, brakes, plus the afore mentioned electrical and AC, just something to ponder.

Thanks jynx. I was thinking of just buying both. I'm sure that there are drastic differences between the 91 3FE and the 97 LX 450. I believe both are available from Toyota at $86 a piece.

huh. About two years ago, my 95 fsm came to me from Toyota for $115, shipped.

To answer your question - yes, you will find it useful to have the FSM for this and other jobs you are sure to undertake on your 91. Welcome to mud!

What I can't figure out is why my :princess: looks at me weird when I curl up on the couch with my FSM for some light reading... :hillbilly:

I recently went through the search for a '91 FSM. American Toyota gave me a Toyota number to call. Toyota said they no longer sell them and referred me to helminc.com. They sell them for about $70. Haven't bought mine yet. :doh:

WHAT UP H8ERS!!!!!!!! I'm getting close and ready to do my front axle rebuild. And yes. I have read the thread several times. AWESOME!!!!!!! I have never worked on an 80 let alone any vehicle. (NOOB) I will definitely rely on the axle rebuild thread, but would the 91 FSM help any? If so, how do I get my hands on an 91 FJ80 FSM? Do the Haynes or Chilton manuals offer any help for the front axle rebuild? Also, does the front axle rebuild differ any from a 91 FJ80 and a 97 LX450? Comments on the front axle rebuild video that I've seen on several threads? Thanks
Al

To me the FSM is a tool - I am certainly no master mechanic but one thing I have learned is that if I'm going to fix something myself on any of my vehicles then I need to invest in the proper tools. I justify the cost by figuring how much I would have to pay someone to do the work instead of doing it myself. In the long run the FSM will serve you well (assuming you want to continue doing your own work) by saving you a lot of head scratching time, preventing potentially costly errors, and generally making you a happier camper about working on your cruiser (most people will start taking shortcuts if they get extremely frustrated when trying to fix something - and that can be bad). I just purchased my first cruiser (1995 80) and ordered my FSM for ~$115 shipped - yea it's pricey but to me it's well worth it. If you are on a tight budget at least drop $16.95 for haynes/chilton manual and that'll probably get you through along with info here.

I got a disc with the FSM and lots of other helpful info from jonheld. worth the price without a doubt.

I got a disc with the FSM and lots of other helpful info from jonheld. worth the price without a doubt.

I got mine from Helm Inc but no disk. My order said I was supposed to. Need to call them and follow up.

If you want some good info, see the link in my siganture below.
I realize I'm not supposed to market personal items here, but it's for your own good.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be on the lake drinking beer. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Jon, I haven't been to you website lately....very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom