Expedition BJ74 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for trouble...

IMG_0413.JPG

Get It !!!

IMG_0630.JPG

Hi,

These pics are not displaying. ;-(

Nice job Bruce. It is nice to see a decent machine on 70 tech

SO far so good Rob.

I put the toybox in last fall and forgot the idler shaft keeper on the t-case. After losing the idler on the street I hurriedly swapped the case and didn't top up the Marlin or the H55f. :rolleyes: Both are whining pretty good now so another drivetrain rebuild is likely in the cards before I head to the Canadian Arctic this summer.

I've added leafs and coils in the rear and still am sagging a bit to the drivers side. Using leafs was way dumb. Four links and bags are the only way for an expo rig. The front end works well though (after I rewelded the shock mounts on the trail). It just needs some anti inversion shackles.

Still struggling to figure what shuts the engine down at high revs with high boost. 4000RPM @ 10PSi or 3000RPM@ 18PSI and the intake shutter slams. Pull the vac line to the shutter it works great.

I added an ARB fridge to supplement the Weaco Freezer and now carry a tiny 1000W genset for long basecamp stays.

Coool, was wondering how the axles were holdingup with those big tires.

Definitely a build I would like to undertake one day, nice to see your are still doing expedition style trips in it.

Rob

probably covered this already-- by why not go with 9.00x16 for the road tires, that should put you in at something near 36", and is an easy size to replace if you destroy one.

Still struggling to figure what shuts the engine down at high revs with high boost. 4000RPM @ 10PSi or 3000RPM@ 18PSI and the intake shutter slams. Pull the vac line to the shutter it works great.

There is a small vacuum line that goes from the air cleaner ducting to the shutter control (or the VSV... can't remember) - if there is too much pressure difference in the intake before the turbo, then this causes the shutter to slam shut. Check your air cleaner element or your intake ducting for obstructions of plugging/clogging of the filter etc...

My feeling is that this feature is a safety feature if something blocks the intake... like a mis-placed rag or perhaps a river crossing full of water...

If this is not clear, drop me a line at work and I'll explain it better.

~John

There is a small vacuum line that goes from the air cleaner ducting to the shutter control (or the VSV... can't remember) - if there is too much pressure difference in the intake before the turbo, then this causes the shutter to slam shut. Check your air cleaner element or your intake ducting for obstructions of plugging/clogging of the filter etc...

My feeling is that this feature is a safety feature if something blocks the intake... like a mis-placed rag or perhaps a river crossing full of water...

If this is not clear, drop me a line at work and I'll explain it better.

~John

John you're a fawkin wizard! I looked at that line and just figured they wanted filtered air for the mechanism. Once I put a tranny back in this rig I'll pull that line and give it a try.

EDIT

The more I think about it, the problem got worse and worse as the air filter got clogged and hasn't happened since it was changed. Geez I wonder what would happen if I changed my oil?

Last edited:
Nice work. Do you think you could get some more pics of your front axle were you cut into the housing? I see you have one pic but could you get one from the other angle?

Nice work. Do you think you could get some more pics of your front axle were you cut into the housing? I see you have one pic but could you get one from the other angle?

You should check out this thread for tube extensions. If you are considering custom axle shafts or doing a cut and turn this seems like a good solution.

G'day, sweet looking rig you go there and some awesome photos.

What boost do you normally run through the motor? Done any mods to help support it? ie cooler or exhaust/fuel? And how are your EGT's?

G'day, sweet looking rig you go there and some awesome photos.

What boost do you normally run through the motor? Done any mods to help support it? ie cooler or exhaust/fuel? And how are your EGT's?

If I hammer it the boost will run to 19PSI. On normal highway running(120KPH) the boost will run at about 15PSi and EGTs 1100F. With the same fuel and the wastegate connected it'll stay at 8PSi and go over 1400F untill I take my foot out of it.

I put together an intercooler for the prototype of this rig but haven't bothered using it. The exhaust of 2.5" open with a couple bends to keep the noise tolerable.

Hey Bruce, I heard a rumour that you were about to start working on the 74 again... can it really be true?

~John

You should check out this thread for tube extensions. If you are considering custom axle shafts or doing a cut and turn this seems like a good solution.

We used to do that about 15 years ago to widen mini-truck axles to fit into SAS swaps better (rear end was wider in the IFS trucks). Used a cruiser short side on the mini housing to add the width and then re-worked the perches...

~John

He needs it to commute to work in :grinpimp:

Don't laugh. That's exactly what is happening. It gets better mileage than my (psquared's) HDJ81. Peter clobbered Radd on pricing for H55f rebuild kits and we'll soon be having a rebuild party and get some BJ74s rolling again. I'm looking forward to driving it again. I haven't touched it since the $800 tow bill last August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom