78 Series Tourer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
never done a thread like this - always tended to be more a Q&A type. Anyway, I am currently in the process of a total interior re-modeling of my troopy so thought I would start with what has been done to the vehicle so far, and then document the interior stuff which is being done over the next weeks as I build it and as parts arrive in from South Africa - which could take a while.

Firstly the interior on the day I got it (getting on two years now)
DSC00040.JPG

Living in Africa good driving lights were first on the list, in fact I bought them in Europe in readiness of getting the car. Output is fantastic, seem pretty damn tough. Only thing is the beams are a bit narrow which a filter on one will cure.

DSC00024.JPG

As the vehicle was going to be carrying some weight the next thing was some firestone airbags for the rear - nice easy solution pending heavier springs. Dead easy to inflate. Fitting was not the easiest, ended up cutting the exhaust out as a side exit pipe was in the near future. Around the same time a longranger (from Oz) 180L rear tank was fitted which was located where the spare used to hang. Fitting was fine although blanking plug for the sender took a bit of messing around
DSC00027.JPG

and so it goes... The spare had to be relocated so I got IEF Engineering (South Africa) to supply a double spare bumper replacement - very solidly made, but measurements were a bit off and it took a bit of bending and shimming. Routed the valves for the airbags to the bumper and recently installed a 12v CAT flood light for camp set up

DSC00026.JPG

I was lucky enough that we had 6 steel wheels from 105 series cruisers lying around - vehicle originally came with splits and sand tyres, so 4 MTs and 2 Dunlops (OEM 105 series) as spares. CAT worklight has outstanding brilliance!

IMG_4062.JPG

Power!

Then came a need for power! The 1HZ is a sweet motor as you all know, but for relaxed travel a turbo was really wanted. Got it from All American Imports in Holland who really know their stuff - all genuine toyota stuff too. Fitted a boost compensator and pyro/boost gauges at the same time.
DSC00023.JPG

I had experimented with a home made side exit exhaust, but to be honest the noise was too much - GF couldn't open her window any more on boost! I had planned a side exit so as to fit a water tank in all the wasted space, so Tourfactory of Germany supplied a beautiful SS piece which sounds JUST right and seemed to make it pull even harder!

DSC00025.JPG

It's not cheap, but Helmut from Tourfactory makes some really great kit for 78/79s

IMG_4065.JPG

At the same time I got him to supply a 100L SS water tank - really his version of another fuel tank. Not such a clear picture but you can see how it makes use of all the dead space where the huge muffler was and under the prop shaft. Only thing is I now need a 79 handbrake cable as the 78 one is too short with the tank.
IMG_4066.JPG

To fill and draw water from the tank I fitted a glind (again Oz) shower heat exchanger and flojet pump - fantastic! Hot water on demand, and with the help of two ball valves and by using push fittings on the bumper (which you can see on the lightforce snap) I can either draw from the tank, fill the tank or just shower from a bucket. Contemplating making it so that I could also recirculate water while driving and heat the tank - why not! Will probably get a General Ecology Filter so as I have no problems with the water being completely potable. The heat exchanger hose routing was not entirely finished when this one was taken:

DSC00022.JPG

Then the cheap SAGA EGT gauge packed in, so Thermoguard from Oz shipped a digital EGT which just happens to fit exactly under the radio in the spare DIN slot. Below the dash you can see another temp gauge which is going to probably check the water tank temp, but is currently bolted to the head. Again an Oz device designed to protect against overheating. On one of the blanks above and to the left of the temp gauge you can just see an LED warning light, which is a low water alarm plumbed into the radiator top hose. This I fitted after a head gasket failure on my old Defender 300Tdi, and because I wanted to be safe rather than sorry after cooling system modifications... If coolant level drops the LED comes on and a LOUD buzzer. These Ozzies really think about this stuff! The headunit I replaced with a Blaupunkt plus amp, speakers and sub. The factory unit has to be probably the worst OEM sound system fitted to a modern production vehicle!

DSC00062.JPG

Now the rear...

At first my thinking was that the interior I would do so that everything could be put back to 13 seater standard. National Luna SS fridge I got from a mate in South Africa and it is the biz! To run it and various accessories I installed a home made battery box with a CAT 100ah calcium cranker connected to a Sterling Battery to Battery Charger (very clever device) and a Clipper Battery monitor. These all work very well, but is not really space saving:

DSC00032.JPG

The battery monitor is great - designed for boats, big backlit display showing current battery voltage and charge as a bargraph at the side, as well as A/hrs used and time remaining on the battery at current use. Would really recommend this.

DSC00030.JPG

Anyway, space is at a premium as we don't really do this packing lightly thing:

Ghana%20%2C%20Burkina%20Faso%20and%20Mali%202007%202008%20036.jpg

And I never intend to be putting the vehicle back to 13 seats. Right now we only need two seats and maybe later a small bench behind the front seats. So everything came out and the interior lining was ripped out. Amazing how much space is in these panels:

DSC00059.JPG

The beginning is to replace the panels with 8mm custom pressed marine plywood (Mahogany) with the Battery stuff, amp, subwoofer, compressor and some hatches for recovery gear etc. Here's last night cutting up the custom ply (there are a few advantages to working in timber...). The wood stuff I leave to Julia as she is way better with power tools than me!

IMG_4064.JPG

The plan now is to semi finish the panels, fit all the stuff behind them and a milford cargo barrier, then wait (impatiently) for the African outback drawers that are in a container as of tonight in Durban. Ghana customs permiting there should be a set of Dobinsons heavy duty rears and lighter duty fronts (no bar and no winch and no intention of fitting) in our store this weekend.

Here's our other two - 105 series company car and GFs company Golf:

DSC00033.JPG

Will update with the springs soon,
Cheers
Gil

Nice build up. Was the National Luna fridge expensive? For some reason they are nearly double the Weaco/Engals in Oz

logistics

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I live in the wilds of Western Ghana in the forest. Now Yotas are common here - we have 4x 75/79 work trucks and 8x 105 series. But modifications other than bush repairs are totally unknown, and parts supply is a nightmare. The tank was fitted 6 months after being bought! Luckily we regularly have containers from EU and ZA being shipped, but even simple stuff like a small ratchet strap needs some forward planning. Of course the 'pro' to the cons is that tomorrow I can jump in the 105 and go check a forest Op in the rainforest, 4x4 for 6 hours and get paid for it!
Gil

National Luna

Ross, the NL was a good price as I got it from ZA. At the time it was quite a bit cheaper than a waeco or Engel in Europe. I heard they were pricey in Oz but in their home country they are okay. Saw loads of them in Namibia recently - they do a really good double door fridge/freezer.
G

Koooool build, keep those pics comin..

Does the 105 have a solid front axle?

Rob

Last edited:
if you have air bags why do you want heavy version rear springs?

well thought out ride, there M8...congrates..

and thanks for posting this up.

Ross, the NL was a good price as I got it from ZA. At the time it was quite a bit cheaper than a waeco or Engel in Europe. I heard they were pricey in Oz but in their home country they are okay. Saw loads of them in Namibia recently - they do a really good double door fridge/freezer.
G

One more question. Is your battery gauge like this one ?

BATTERY MONITOR ABR 'SIDEWINDER' 4WD 12V POWER, CARAVAN - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 02-Nov-08 19:30:00 AEDST)

Ive been looking at the Arrid range of gauges at the 12V Shop but they are all more or less the same,only one very small digital unit

Cheers guys! Yup the 105 is solid front axle. The airbags, well they are great but IMHO they are a helper rather than a solution - on one trip I almost lost a bag due to chaffing (okay was really my fault as I hadn't fully checked clearances). Without the support of the bags the whole rear sags BADLY. We run airbags on a few logging trucks, and to be honest they have all been replaced with std springs. I am not knocking 'em , but for long term remote travel I just have a few nagging doubts. When I bought them (again cheap from ZA) I always sort of planned that they were a stop gap for a while until HD suspension. On a weighbridge (45L diesel and no water) the troopy was on 2700kgs. The bat monitor is the exact same one - very useful esp running a cranking bat for a fridge (first cheap cranker didn't last long!)

Nice troopy. My main question is, do you think 100L of water is enough for two people? I would personally want more, but you can't have everything I guess. I guess it depends on the available space.

Nice troopy. Where in Ghana are you living? I had the chance to visit Tarkwa several times and loved seeing all of the 70 series worktrucks.

Cheers

I am about 2.5hrs west of Tarkwa, 120kms.... Yeah, the mines down there have some very cool 79s. Ghana Toyota have opened a branch just to cater for the miners!
Re the water, I think 100L is quite a bit - if somewhere where water is plentiful then obviously it's not an issue, and if somewhere very dry, then 100L under the car is quite a supply - even 2 people consuming 10L a day (obviously not showering etc but still a high personal consumption) means 5 days. A couple of plastic jerries and that becomes a week!

Last night I finished the prep of the plywood panels, so tomorrow hopefully start fitting stuff behind them and mounting. Will get some more pics up then.
G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom