Expedition BJ74 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have found since i moved down here my mileage is WAY better than it was in Alberta.
less head winds.
less hills
slower moving traffic.

so... you are selling the HZJ81 then?

i have found since i moved down here my mileage is WAY better than it was in Alberta.
less head winds.
less hills
slower moving traffic.

so... you are selling the HZJ81 then?

I moved *from* Ontario as soon as I was old enough to vote. It would take more than better fuel mileage to get me back to the Liberal homeland.

No, I'm not selling my HDJ81. I need it to get the kids to soccer.

i keep forgetting your a family man now...
yah, i hear you
but
Alberta is heading down that road lately. i hear provincal cales tax is looming for there next year...

so after everything I assisted with in that truck - roll cage, new rear doors, getting that mofo heavy tent on top and off again.....you know you need to put the passenger seat back in, right?

so after everything I assisted with in that truck - roll cage, new rear doors, getting that mofo heavy tent on top and off again.....you know you need to put the passenger seat back in, right?

WHOA !! first post on 'Mud and it's in the 70 series forum !!

:flipoff2: Welcome Aboard Phillipa (and the 'Mud salute)

~John

How's progress Mr. Loewnbrau?

~john

No progress to report. I'm busy buying and selling houses. Hopefully the one we end up with will have a garage (and no pink shag rug) and I can trade in the air nailer for the impact.

Is the farm for house trade working in your favour? Sounds a little like the "one red paper clip" trade-scheme that went on a few years ago.

A garage/workshop would be a nice move.

I'd love to have a farm... the workshop I have already.

~John

you mived? which area are you in now?

<you do know that (AFAIK) that old place i had is for sale. THAT garage made me a lot of entertainment value (as well as $$$$$$$$$) over the years.>

Wow instant familly and Phillipa is a member of MUD. I envy you Bruce. R U coming to Churn this year?
Bring the familly in the 81. The 74 is calling you to fix her.

If I hammer it the boost will run to 19PSI. On normal highway running(120KPH) the boost will run at about 15PSi and EGTs 1100F. With the same fuel and the wastegate connected it'll stay at 8PSi and go over 1400F untill I take my foot out of it.

I put together an intercooler for the prototype of this rig but haven't bothered using it. The exhaust of 2.5" open with a couple bends to keep the noise tolerable.

What fuel adjustments have you made?

So far I have only played with the max fuel screw, I increased it by just over 1.5 turns.

Accelerating full throttle to 60mph reaching 4th gear EGTs raise to 1184F pre turbo. While working the car hard offroad and hard onroad up some long steep hills max was 1292F pre turbo briefly.

Boost wise I am getting 10psi at ~1900rpm, 15psi at 2400rpm, 16psi 3000rpm. The only times it goes higher than that is at higher engine speeds under high load (ie over taking at 75mph in 4th gear)

I would really like to make peak boost earlier and easier (18.5psi) than screaming past 3000rpm to get it.

i don't know how i lost track of this build.
after chatting with you this morning i did the search and found these pics. i like this idea much better than the spacers on the front ...
now to finish the read.
cheers.
Update on the wheels. I got the axle together and tried a wheel on only to find the that front part of the luke arms (where the drag link connects) hits the tire. I need about 1/2" less BS. I pondered cutting and welding the arm but quickly decided that I didn't have access to a welder that I'd put up to that. I've been using a Miller 135 that is fine for the little stuff. In the end I ordered up a SKY mfg wide track kit and picked up some IFS hubs at the wrecker. I'll match it with some wheel spacers on the back for now and might try to widetrack the back using ifs hubs later in conjuction with a disc brake conversion.

Brad I think the FJC wheels are about an inch narrow. You can see a bit of crown in the tread. I'm going to run them anyway and will know after I put 10,000kms on in July whether it was a bad plan or not. I think I remember a vender that takes aluminum rims and machines them for a beadlock. I should look into that.

Sky's Off-road Design - Home

Update! I drove it to work this week. I still have a 1/4 tank of the fuel I bought in Whitecourt in 2009. I should probably run some Biobor though it and swap the filters but it is running well with the new transmission.

that's friggin awesome it's back on the road. It was sad to see it getting towed away...

Do you have a write up of the air converted e-locker? Built looks great!!

No writeup, no. I never did end up using it because the long spline axle I have needs some Longs that I can't afford. Its sitting in my shed.

Thanks, I love this truck but it isn't entirely useful to me anymore. I keep stealing things out of it for the 81 which has really become the rig of choice now that I have kids and dogs that I want to take with me. I'm beginning to think that it will go to the States next May when it is 25 years old. I'll use the money from it and the 81 to buy and modify a soccer mom Tundra. Then I'll lose the Dodge and turn the mine truck into a runabout/commuter rig. All in my alley, in my spare time, with no tools or money. :doh:

I did get a chance to take it wheeling a while ago. It doesn't work very well. :grinpimp:
random stuck.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom