Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because that is how they do business.

Jose's gonna get paid!

His plan all along. This is how he is paying for the build. Genius, freaking genius.

Yeah, maybe if he sold the stock image to them, not the same when they steal it, use it on an ad campaign without permission.....

I would be flattered. I don't really know why this board is so polluted with this type of thought process?

It's this exact type of mentality that keeps vendors at bay and the expansion of the fj/fzj aftermarket timid.

Jose has one of the greatest 80s ever built and it's going to be famous regardless of Marlin crawler, trail gear, slee, etc.

Again, I'd be flattered and find a lot of the opinions here digressive and some of you guys sink your (our) own ship, so to speak.

Speaking from someone who has spent nearly 20 years in the advertising field, this is a definite no-no. Posting on a public forum does not give public use of the image. The image is still owned by the person who TOOK the photo and not the person IN the photo. There is a distinction. There is a threshold for alteration before a photo has been altered enough to constitute original art. This image has not met that. Removing the person IN the photo eliminates the need for a release for personal image use.

A simple email is all that is needed to both ask for and grant permission for usage. Since the image was used for advertising purposes, the owner of the photo is due the usage of the photo and any restricted usage that goes along with it.

My previous company has sued and been sued for unauthorized image use. I've suffered through both sides and when you think it's obvious, you get thrown for a loop.

It could have cost them nothing to get permission. It could cost them an uncomfortable learning lesson. Either way, I would persue it.

On a side note...there is a little bit of irony though that an original idea has been stolen and made for cheaper and it happened to Jose. I'd have expect it to be on a Chinese website :flipoff2:

I would be flattered. I don't really know why this board is so polluted with this type of thought process?

It's this exact type of mentality that keeps vendors at bay and the expansion of the fj/fzj aftermarket timid.

Jose has one of the greatest 80s ever built and it's going to be famous regardless of Marlin crawler, trail gear, slee, etc.

Again, I'd be flattered and find a lot of the opinions here digressive and some of you guys sink your (our) own ship, so to speak.

I understand where you are coming from. And your point does have merit. The fact that the photo was used without permission (as far as we know). This is part that irritates me. To me this shows a great deal of disrespect to Jose. This man has built as you stated "one of the greatest 80s ever built". He has been so willing to share this build with us. So quick to share all of the things he has figured out, issues he has run into, ideas he has come up with. he has done all of this for the community. I myself have used ideas he has brought to the community. I have already purchased gear from vendors he has used on this rig. Not because he is sponsored by them. But because he sponsored them. The part of this photo that has upset me is that credit was taken for something glorious that is not theirs to take. It is the principle of it. Don't change the color, don't crop the background, don't crop Jose out. Ask, just ask. That is all.

Booger Weldz, please don't take this as an argument starter or a shot at you. I have read many of the post's you have submitted and appreciate what you have to offer as well. I just kind of wanted to express what I felt about this situation, and what I really believe others may feel as well.

:beer::beer::beer:

You guys also seem to forget that Jose has a photography BUSINESS. So yeah, using one of his photos without permission, for business, for profit, isn't very cool.

You guys also seem to forget that Jose has a photography BUSINESS. So yeah, using one of his photos without permission, for business, for profit, isn't very cool.
Yeah, I was not sure if that was a side business, or just another hobby. Either way the request should have been made.

Guy's

The intent of even posting this up in this thread wasn't to "vendor bash".

I received the email and went... Wait a min... And laughed at how many things had been changed from the original.

I personally would be flattered and stoked to see my rig in a publication... No doubt. I think I've been in David's rag a few times (4WD Toyota Owner)

It will be up to Jose when he's back in country to figure things out, who knows maybe Jose has something already worked out... Then again...

None the less kicking this back and forth does none of us any good. It's between Jose and TG.

And let's be honest.... All of us on 37's + are on Longs or will soon be.... So at least the AD is relevant!

-A

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439826957.016964.jpg

Because its dishonest.

I understand where you are coming from. And your point does have merit. The fact that the photo was used without permission (as far as we know). This is part that irritates me. To me this shows a great deal of disrespect to Jose. This man has built as you stated "one of the greatest 80s ever built". He has been so willing to share this build with us. So quick to share all of the things he has figured out, issues he has run into, ideas he has come up with. he has done all of this for the community. I myself have used ideas he has brought to the community. I have already purchased gear from vendors he has used on this rig. Not because he is sponsored by them. But because he sponsored them. The part of this photo that has upset me is that credit was taken for something glorious that is not theirs to take. It is the principle of it. Don't change the color, don't crop the background, don't crop Jose out. Ask, just ask. That is all.

Booger Weldz, please don't take this as an argument starter or a shot at you. I have read many of the post's you have submitted and appreciate what you have to offer as well. I just kind of wanted to express what I felt about this situation, and what I really believe others may feel as well.

:beer::beer::beer:

Thanks, for sure! I don't actually know Jose, but we are most certainly 'E' friends.

I have used his build thread and even shared texts with him when deleting the ABS circuit on my truck and one of my buddies.

He's just as friendly, helpful and informative in person (again Internet or whatever) as he is in his build thread.

Lets applaud this and just be proud our E. friends truck is so great and someone recognized it as such, and there's a pic out there.

80 series USA peeps are seriously shooting yourself in the foot(and do this again and again on this forum) when a vendor steps up and offers something.

To try and make my point without having to type much and annoy/bore you folks.... There is no hellfire advertising here and no presence of that. It is one of the very best products for some of us yet the vendor refuses to come here or advertise because of things very much similar to the TG attack and results of a simple picture being doctored to show a new product.

It's a badass truck and its owner Damn nears wheels it at least once a month. What's gonna happen when it shows up on the cover of a 4wd mag or toyotas only?

My truck(s) have been in magazines and I've never received a penny. I was flattered and appreciative of the scenario.

Wtf is up with some of the 'why' posts.

No wonder 80 series aftermarket almost doesn't exist. Some of you guys are seriously ruining this hobby, specific to this vehicle. while dirt poor, white trash minitruck(or whatever most of you think of the pirate4x4 crowd
/audience, get all the good parts, all the innovation and all advances...

Because its dishonest.
It's a Fawkin pic of a really well built truck for chrissakes(that some one painted orange and stuck a decal on the windshield , not shoplifting or worse, come on man)

If you owned a Ferrari and had a supermodel girlfriend <edit> and people magazine put out a public pic of you...

Would you be pissed ?

No you'd be proud of the hard work you put in and things you had done to be able to have that.

We're just as happy with our 80s as those guys. Are vehicles just go further of the beaten path and we have better forums to discuss issues and be able to upgrade parts or fix things ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder 80 series aftermarket almost doesn't exist. Some of you guys are seriously ruining this hobby, specific to this vehicle. while dirt poor, white trash minitruck(or whatever most of you think of the pirate4x4 crowd
/audience, get all the good parts, all the innovation and all advances...

And all this time I thought the aftermarket support was there for minitrucks just because there are so many more of them and because they actually have more parts that need upgrading than an 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom