Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah it's nuts! And if you're in the market for a 5th gen 4Runner (2010+), it makes no sense to buy used. Here's an example: 2012 w/ 40k miles, $33k http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/4300256147.html These trucks seems to just stay expensive. It's only feasible once they get really high miles on them and at that point it doesn't make sense; would have just kept our current car.

Yeah they do stay expensive for a while. That's why I bought the 80, I would never have an SUV as my dd so guess I would never buy one new. On the bright side the 80 has been pretty much trouble free for the most part, but that's also some really big shoes to fill for what ever I happen to get later.

Sweet looking new ride! I parked next to a new runner the other day and it almost had me thinking about going down to the dealer to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Congrats on your new 4Run Jose. Looks bad ass!!!! I too would make a 4Run my next vehicle.

Yeah I hear ya! The 4Runner is for the wife to drive and our weekend car. The 80 is the offroad toy and my daily driver is an '04 Nissan Frontier. It really is amazing how far they've come. My little truck is 10yrs old and it's only luxury feature is power windows. It's a very bare bones utilitarian truck. The new 4Runners are very well thought out. Giant interiors, 120v power inverters, 12v accessory ports all over the truck, reclining rear seats, cupholders everywhere, sliding cargo deck, underfloor storage, Entune navigation with a user friendly interface and voice activated, I just love everything about this truck.

Oh and here's one that blew my mind. I felt like a caveman. Apparently with these fancy new radios you can PAUSE REWIND OR FAST FORWARD live radio. UMWAT!!!!!! It can cache for up to 20 minutes of airtime. It was embarrassing that I didn't know about this.

Yup, Ben's a new member here as well (post #396) and he just picked up a 80 too. We need an intro post Ben! Here's his thread

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/155746-bimrunner-build-thread-pics.html

Sweet looking rig! I'll get to an intro at a point where I have something interesting to report. Did the vehicle registration thingy though. When the white knight gets dressed it'll look good, but perhaps not quite as flashy as the runner. Lift is on order though! Pics give you three months to get the runner lifted, real tires, and at least some new wheels .... And black out that bumper would ya! Lol

Sweet looking new ride! I parked next to a new runner the other day and it almost had me thinking about going down to the dealer to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I think you should...and SAS that pretty little thing :cheers:

Congrats on your new 4Run Jose. Looks bad ass!!!! I too would make a 4Run my next vehicle.

Thanks, no regrets here!

Did you see the TRD Pro Series 4Runner?

I did. They look awesome. Love the new reddish orange color and new front ends. But I didn't want to wait. And I'm sure all those cosmetics upgrades will come at pretty premium from Toyota.

Sweet looking rig! I'll get to an intro at a point where I have something interesting to report. Did the vehicle registration thingy though. When the white knight gets dressed it'll look good, but perhaps not quite as flashy as the runner. Lift is on order though! Pics give you three months to get the runner lifted, real tires, and at least some new wheels .... And black out that bumper would ya! Lol

Looking forward to updates! When I get a free weekend I'll be painting the silver chins and blacking out all the chrome emblems :)

I love the first page wheeling photos.

The dude in the 3rd Gen Runner wheels the piss out of it.

Yeah that truck is bad! Sitting on 40s now, I'll have to get some new pics of it.

MSRP on this one was $39,340 with the options. We got it for $37,400.

WOW, Those new 4Runner is nice. Sooo cheap man. What is the specs? Is this basically a Toyota Prado/FJ Cruiser? Petrol or Diesel?

We dont get them in Aus. Looks like a nice wagon for the family/wife

WOW, Those new 4Runner is nice. Sooo cheap man. What is the specs? Is this basically a Toyota Prado/FJ Cruiser? Petrol or Diesel?

We dont get them in Aus. Looks like a nice wagon for the family/wife
Cheap? That's a lot of money here in the states :) It's petrol. Toyota does not and will not ever sell anything diesel here. The general population thinks diesel is ugly and scary and bad for mother nature I guess. This is the Trail edition. There's also the SR5 (base model) and the Limited. A quick rundown of the specs:

- 4.0L 24 valve V6, 270hp, 278 lb ft of torque
- 17/21 miles per gallon
- Part-time 4x4 with ATRAC (active traction control, kinda like faux lockers)
- 5 speed automatic transmission
- Typical coilover independent front suspension, coil/shock rear
- Exterior dimensions are almost identical to an 80
- 4,750lbs curb weight
- Electronic rear locker
- Multi-terrain Select
- Crawl Control
- Hill Assist Control
- Downhill Assist Control
- Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS, this is pretty cool. The sway bars have hydraulic pistons that tighten down on curves to reduce body roll or effectively disconnect the sway bars when offroad to maximize wheel travel).

Here's all the go-fun buttons on the 2014 Trail

dA91Oot.jpg

For those interested, here's how ATRAC works

And KDSS

Last edited:
Congrats. I see you still got the 80 parked in the garage. Good boy! :D

Very cool man, Im assuming same motor/chassis as our Prados?
2010_toyota_prado_gxl_roadtest_review_026-4b96029725d53-450x240.jpg

Which uses 4.0 litre 1GR-FE petrol V6 (and Diesel Option too). This is $61k AUD ($55K US) for the Base GXL, and they are everywhere here (Diesel is even more expensive).

Australia had that mentality about Diesels too, but in the last 5-10 years, everyone is now wanting Diesels.

Hardly any Multivale Turbo Diesel 80 series were sold new in the 90's, now, when one comes up for sale used, they get sold the next day, and people are happy to pay $30k for one with 300,000kms!!

Very cool man, Im assuming same motor/chassis as our Prados?
2010_toyota_prado_gxl_roadtest_review_026-4b96029725d53-450x240.jpg

Which uses 4.0 litre 1GR-FE petrol V6 (and Diesel Option too). This is $61k AUD ($55K US) for the Base GXL, and they are everywhere here (Diesel is even more expensive).

Australia had that mentality about Diesels too, but in the last 5-10 years, everyone is now wanting Diesels.

Hardly any Multivale Turbo Diesel 80 series were sold new in the 90's, now, when one comes up for sale used, they get sold the next day, and people are happy to pay $30k for one with 300,000kms!!
Yeah the new 4Runners have the 1GR-FE. I think what you call the Prado is what we call the Lexus GX-series here in the states. A brand new 2014 Lexus GX 460 starts at about $50k.

This is the slightly older model GX

2003-2007_Lexus_GX_470_Blizzard_Pearl.jpg

Congrats on the new rig Jose! I might be the odd man out, but the front looks like it got hit with the ugly stick...Looks like the new Supra will carry the same bloodline.

Inspected a new 4-Runner today, and they drive quite!

Congrats on the new rig Jose! I might be the odd man out, but the front looks like it got hit with the ugly stick...Looks like the new Supra will carry the same bloodline.

Inspected a new 4-Runner today, and they drive quite!

Haha thanks man! Don't worry you're not alone, lots of folks think they're hideous. I did too when I first saw pics of it. Then it slowly grew on me. Then I saw it in person and fell in love.

But if all you don't like is the front end, that may soon be easy thing to change. Shrockworks put out a teaser of what they're working on. It's gonna be wild looking because of how the headlight is shaped and the fact that the bumper comes off in one piece leaving nothing around the headlight...

ame6u5eb.jpg

That bumper looks like its going to make it look awesome! It looks like something out of walking dead haha

Congrats on the new rig... The wife and I just bought a 2011 4Runner SR5 Premium for $30K with the extended warranty and Toyota Certified (which normally add about $5k all together). This is her vehicle (like you) so it will see little to no off-roading but that is what I have the 60 for. You are right that the newer 4Rs are about the same size as the 80s and definitely bigger than our previous 2008 Highlander. Got to love this thing though and definitely a comfortable ride. The few long trips we have made (down to Carmel to see fam) we have averaged about 18.5-19mpg running the 70-75mph range. If you back off the skinny pedal to 65-70mpg then you can get the 20mpg+ but I have yet to see the 21/22mpg HIGH that they rate these at, oh well.

And I just found this rig. That's it. I think I'll be copying everything this guy did. It looks perfect!

Lol!!!! You say that nowww ...

:popcorn:

hey jose, any way you could post some center of hub to bottom of fender measurements for your rig?
thanks man!

Had to get new shoes for the wife's 4runner. That could have been my 37s!

13096179765_bb286ae324_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• M80
Back
Top Bottom