Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like the day you build me some beefy axles?
1381823cc658f075e4a2248de0abb320.jpg

Yup, haven't carried a spare tire for a while which I know is risky. I'm going to hate myself when that day inevitably comes.
I know this is a late reply, but the original reason for asking is I was wondering if putting the tire on the back is a weight nuisance, or messes with the handling or something, messes with clearance. I have the 4x4 labs front bumper on mine, and I'm saving up to get the rear bumper. Just wondering, if I'm on the right track.
I also don't like the Idea of having a bunch of stuff hanging off the back of my rig.,,,but I guess thats what most people do.

Ever wonder what our inline 6 sounds like with open headers? Gotta admit it's kinda cool. Too bad she's all bark and no bite.

Ever wonder what our inline 6 sounds like with open headers? Gotta admit it's kinda cool. Too bad she's all bark and no bite.

That sounds way better than I was expecting

Some minor updates...

Started by orderig a few things from Brian at 4Wheelunderground.

Rear lower links will be 2.25 x 0.375" to match the front. These are heavy as hell and visually impressive. I don't think I'll ever bend 3/8" wall DOM tubing

45IVk3Fh.jpg

Also picked up a set of 14" 2.0 remote resivoir Radflos from Brian to match the front setup. Final spring rate for the rear is still TBD. He's going to send me some springs to test out before we place the final order with PAC.

8n4Oyf0h.jpg

Then I removed the emulsion coilovers and swapped in the new resis up front. The old emulsion coilovers will be installed in the rear. Still need to figure out the reservoir mounting.

Q9G1rwdh.jpg

Things are moving along slowly. Got the axle all cleaned up and have now started to look at where brackets will go. First up was to fix the threads on driveshaft studs at the tcase. Ordered a cheap M11x1.0 tap and die from eBay and cleaned up all the studs, nuts and bolts. Good as new!

uiCDDgmh.jpg

Ujh3Jkgh.jpg

NNDQ6mDh.jpg

Then brought the axle back under the truck and connected the driveshaft. As I'm running a double cardan (from Tatton) I'll need to get the pinion angle somewhat correct so I know where to locate the brackets.

6sdCKlOh.jpg

Here's my angles at estimated ride height. I'll fine tune this once the truck is sitting on her own weight but for now everything is where it should be. And picked up several inches of clearance under the pinion which is nice.

HGXq6lhh.jpg

Made up some PVC link before I cut into my expensive DOM tubing. I'm still waiting on one last heim to ship so I can't quite finish the lowers yet. New lower links will be about 40" bolt-to-bolt, about a foot longer than stock.

EG67o8Ch.jpg

Nice view of the triangulation

Ehj5nBDh.jpg

clcB1ymh.jpg

gb9Z8XEh.jpg

So as expected, the giant truss I bought wouldn't fit. Well it would, but it was super tall and would have left no room for up travel. So I chopped most of it off and sealed it up. Dimensions are now almost identical to the universal truss sold by RuffStuff. Should have just bought that one from the beginning and saved a bunch of time and money. Oh well.

vvgkXQ8h.jpg

And here it is tacked on the axle where I think it will go. Still have a lot of work to do before I can run the calculators and start checking for clearance. Up next I'll need to build the wishbone upper link and the bracket for the uniball joint.

N4VG5y7h.jpg

gHfFkzfh.jpg

m0WgcnIh.jpg

Some minor updates...

Started by orderig a few things from Brian at 4Wheelunderground.

Rear lower links will be 2.25 x 0.375" to match the front. These are heavy as hell and visually impressive. I don't think I'll ever bend 3/8" wall DOM tubing

45IVk3Fh.jpg

Also picked up a set of 14" 2.0 remote resivoir Radflos from Brian to match the front setup. Final spring rate for the rear is still TBD. He's going to send me some springs to test out before we place the final order with PAC.

8n4Oyf0h.jpg

Then I removed the emulsion coilovers and swapped in the new resis up front. The old emulsion coilovers will be installed in the rear. Still need to figure out the reservoir mounting.

Q9G1rwdh.jpg
Nice progress. From what I understand, the link diameter has a huge affect on the links strength from bending over link thickness.

Nice progress. From what I understand, the link diameter has a huge affect on the links strength from bending over link thickness.
Both help. I dont think 2.25 .375 wall is necessary but its not like weight savings are a top concern for any of us

How much more down travel do you think this new rear setup give you over your previous setup? Also, how much overall travel did the front 3link give you? Awesome build thread by the way, really enjoying it!

How much more down travel do you think this new rear setup give you over your previous setup? Also, how much overall travel did the front 3link give you? Awesome build thread by the way, really enjoying it!

The front uses the full 14" from the coilovers. About 6" up, the rest down. I'll be running 14" coilovers out back as well with the hopes I can use it all. And thanks!

Where would mount the coil overs, top of axle and trough floor? Curious as I know there’s not much room... also will you will run them as vertical as you can ?
Looking forward for the next steps

Where would mount the coil overs, top of axle and trough floor? Curious as I know there’s not much room... also will you will run them as vertical as you can ?
Looking forward for the next steps

My goal is to run them behind the axle slightly slanted using the 4WU mounts. If there is not enough room then backup plan is mounted vertically on top or slightly behind the axle through the floor but I would like to avoid that if I can. The nice thing is these brackets give you a lot of adjustability. The axle mounts can be rotated up or down and the frame mounts can be pushed front or back. I could even build a square tube crossmember to change the orientation of the coilovers and mount them inboard a bit.

FRX7pR2.jpgh

Jt35glOh.jpg

FPecDShh.jpg

sKsxsE7h.jpg

And hell, if the JK guys can run coilovers like this with BOLT-ON brackets, this HAS to work on the 80 :)

B9Euzgd.jpg

I’m digging into that too using : offset chassis brackets for the LCA, 4WU coil over bracket mounts too . Those are sexy
I‘Ve been wheeling my wishbone for years though. Time to 3 link the front using 4WU based kit and the rear I can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with

Sweet Baby Jesus!!
Cannot wait to see the outcome of this chapter.
She's an absolute beaut!

I’m digging into that too using : offset chassis brackets for the LCA, 4WU coil over bracket mounts too . Those are sexy
I‘Ve been wheeling my wishbone for years though. Time to 3 link the front using 4WU based kit and the rear I can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a disaster as this is the first time I redo a suspension on my own. But I will be relying on the geometry calculators to make sure I don't really screw things up. I think you'll be very happy with the 4WU kit.

BTW, I sort of doubt you'll get 2 degrees of wrap on the pinion with links and heims.

What do you think is realistic to use for setting the angles? I was basing this off some of the articles I had read. 0.5 ~ 1º perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom