Ether use question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's something up with my glow system. Thought it was just a corroded wire, but it looks like this will require a little work to find out where the problem is. I'm not great with electronics...

Anyhow, I have disconnected the glow plug plate and used ether three times to get er started for a few times where I have needed the truck. Not intending on using ether every day for an extended period of time, but I do have a couple of questions about ether use:

1) If I do this a few more times, will I cause any long term damage to the motor? I know that using ether is not the best...

2) Is there any particular technique I shout be using? I've had my girlfriend do as short a spray as possible (.5 second) directly into the intake off of the air filter while I'm turning the engine over.

3) Is there any other way of safely starting the truck without the glow system? My block heater also is not working. I can't get an oil pan heater where I am at the moment, but I have two battery heaters that I'm going to wrap around the oil pan and see if that will help with a cold start.

It's not that cold where I am at the moment - gets down to around 8-10 degrees Celsius in the morning. Thanks for any feedback.

Before I used ether Id advance the timing to get it started. Ether is some nasty business for an old engine. I used it once and swore I would never again. Try putting a halogen work light right up under the oil pan for several hours, or perhaps a couple of them under there. I worry you will break some rings or something with ether. Folks use it, but your doing it to a majorly old motor.

For long term heating go for an inline heater for your lower rad hose. Not expensive and very effective. I prefer it over block heaters.
g

Before I used ether Id advance the timing to get it started. Ether is some nasty business for an old engine. I used it once and swore I would never again. Try putting a halogen work light right up under the oil pan for several hours, or perhaps a couple of them under there. I worry you will break some rings or something with ether. Folks use it, but your doing it to a majorly old motor.

For long term heating go for an inline heater for your lower rad hose. Not expensive and very effective. I prefer it over block heaters.
g
Ya I didn't feel good about using ether on the old girl, especially since I've had the new engine in for only week...

Great call on the halogen light. I'll try that with the battery warmers and see if that works.

Rad hose heater looks like a great option. Will pick one of these up on my next trip down island.

g
Have you got a unit that you would recommend for the inline heater?

Synthetic oil will make it much easier to start as well...8-10C isn't even cold yet, it really won't start without glow at those temps? Better get that glow system working before winter comes, lol.

Synthetic oil will make it much easier to start as well...8-10C isn't even cold yet, it really won't start without glow at those temps? Better get that glow system working before winter comes, lol.
Ya I was reading a thread yesterday about which oil to use for winter... Very interesting. Good thing I'm driving to Baja next week!!!
What would you recommend for the coast? Doesn't really get much colder than 0* here.

Ya I was reading a thread yesterday about which oil to use for winter... Very interesting. Good thing I'm driving to Baja next week!!!
What would you recommend for the coast? Doesn't really get much colder than 0* here.

I'm using Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic all year in mine, I was surprised how much easier it cranks over when it's COLD compared to the non-synthetic 15w40 Rotella I was using previously. We saw -36C last winter here, and it always fired up, but it did sound a bit cranky at first when it's that cold out.

I don't see any downside to using the same oil even if it doesn't get that cold where you are. Once warm it acts as a 40 weight oil, so it's thinner when cold, without being too thin when hot.

1) If I do this a few more times, will I cause any long term damage to the motor? I know that using ether is not the best...

2) Is there any particular technique I shout be using? I've had my girlfriend do as short a spray as possible (.5 second) directly into the intake off of the air filter while I'm turning the engine over.

Check the ingredients in your can of ether. Most of the ones I have used are only about 60% ether,the other ingredients are there to slow the combustion down and make it less explosive. The stories related to damage from ether are from the old days when they used pure ether or used it incorrectly.
The .5 second spray is ok. Just enough to start it .
If the engine just starts and runs at low rpms ,you have the technique right. If the engine roars and goes to high rpms then ,that's overusing it.
Some farmers start their old diesels on ether everyday.

Last edited:
I'm using Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic all year in mine, I was surprised how much easier it cranks over when it's COLD compared to the non-synthetic 15w40 Rotella I was using previously. We saw -36C last winter here, and it always fired up, but it did sound a bit cranky at first when it's that cold out.

I don't see any downside to using the same oil even if it doesn't get that cold where you are. Once warm it acts as a 40 weight oil, so it's thinner when cold, without being too thin when hot.
Awesome. I'll give it a try when I'm back from Mexico. Thanks for the tip.

Check the ingredients in your can of ether. Most of the ones I have used are only about 60% ether,the other ingredients are there to slow the combustion down and make it less explosive. The stories related to damage from ether are from the old days when they used pure ether or used it incorrectly.
The .5 second spray is ok. Just enough to start it .
If the engine just starts and runs at low rpms ,you have the technique right. If the engine roars and goes to high rpms then ,that's overusing it.
Some farmers start their old diesels on ether everyday.

Great. Thanks for the reply. Got the glow system all sorted and she's starting beautifully, so no more ether!

How much ether was in your can?

A much milder option to use instead of either is WD40.

I have had many IDI 7.3l Ford and International diesels. There are occasions when they have an issue starting due to repair or owner induced problems. When this happens, they can be a bear to start, and both manufacturers warn in the manuals and on placards around the engine to not use either...ever, due to severe damage to the glow plugs, and possible other parts.

I have buddy who ran a International dealers service department, and he told they use WD40 in these situations. Is much less combustible than either, so it burns cooler and with flash, so it's easy on the engine. This is what they used to start these IDI engines when needed. I have seen many posts about using WD40 by others also. I have used it to start my 5.9 Cummins after a mid channel fuel filter change.

I have only needed to use it twice and it worked both times.

Just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom