Engine swap or rebulid the 2F. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. Here we go again. I'm in the process of tearing down my 78' 40 series.
SOA front, 4 linked rear, f/r ARB lockers/ 4.88 gears, Orion tcase with the stock 4sp tranny. All of this will stay the same, although I would consider a H55 and a split tcase.
Since I'm doing a refurb seems like the right time to strongly consider engine swap or at the very least 2F rebuild.
I would love to keep the DNA Toyota, but.....
Looking for opinions based on personal experience regarding swapping in a 5.3 L.
Help, this has been a problem for me to decide.
I would like to make the call and move on.
The rig is a trail built truck and used to get to the trail head and back home. I would also like to be able to travel down the highway farther from home to get to trails as well. This has been a concern in the past with 2F in it's present condition.
I want a engine I can trust and depend on.

Comments please and thank you!!

Diesel swap!

Crap, I'm no help in this thread, I run the mighty 2F but I don't wheel mine, it's a forest service road runner in search of trout.

I rebuilt my 2F about 5 years ago. Loved the experience, and love the low end torque while wheeling. It was a heck of a lot more expensive than finding a chevy donor to drop in to it. After machining, and all the extra parts I didn't plan on having to buy, I was in for about $6,000. 3,500 right off the top for the machine shop....

LilJohn, Ive only ever seen 3 choices though: 1. tractor engine slug mobile, 2. pristine restored garage stored eye candy, or 3. Chevota you are totally enjoying ???

Opinion Alert!!!

If you are a purist, rebuild the 2F. If you're not a purist this is the perfect time to switch to an LS engine like the 5.3 or 6.0. The initial cost will be higher than a 2F rebuild. The upside is better gas mileage, parts availability, horsepower and drivability. also, if an LS-based engine is having a bad day it will tell you why, just plug in a code reader.

Other pluses of a modern engine include the ability to adjust itself for altitude without having to manually fiddle with jets and fuel mixture, smooth throttle response, and like all fuel injected engines it's not affected by the angle it's at when you're off road. (unless you're on your lid, then all bets are off :rolleyes: )

FWIW, new crate engines start at around than $6K. Complete low mileage used engines start at about $1,700. Buying a good donor vehicle gives you most of what you need, particularly with regards to accessory items like PS, alternator, starter, PCM, pulleys, sensors, etc., which can add up quickly if you buy them piece by piece.

Just my 2 cents.

Opinion Alert!!!

If you are a purist, rebuild the 2F. If you're not a purist this is the perfect time to switch to an LS engine like the 5.3 or 6.0. The initial cost will be higher than a 2F rebuild. The upside is better gas mileage, parts availability, horsepower and drivability. also, if an LS-based engine is having a bad day it will tell you why, just plug in a code reader.

Other pluses of a modern engine include the ability to adjust itself for altitude without having to manually fiddle with jets and fuel mixture, smooth throttle response, and like all fuel injected engines it's not affected by the angle it's at when you're off road. (unless you're on your lid, then all bets are off :rolleyes: )

FWIW, new crate engines start at around than $6K. Complete low mileage used engines start at about $1,700. Buying a good donor vehicle gives you most of what you need, particularly with regards to accessory items like PS, alternator, starter, PCM, pulleys, sensors, etc., which can add up quickly if you buy them piece by piece.

Just my 2 cents.

really good running engines can be had for like, $200.

I'd go for either a 5.3 or 5.7. Both are easy to get parts for, lighter than the 2f, and will produce a lot more horsepower and torque.

Purpleaction

I wish. I am having my 1987 2F rebuilt by C & P machine in Pensacola. Next one I will probably be sending to Mosley Motors after I save enough dough.

Purpleaction

I wish. I am having my 1987 2F rebuilt by C & P machine in Pensacola. Next one I will probably be sending to Mosley Motors after I save enough dough.
Cant wait to see how it turns out.

If your biggest issue is highway speeds, I see that as more of a gearing problem.
I've always been pretty well treated by a number of I6's I've had in multiple vehicles, and actually never had a V8 in anything I've owned. But don't see where you'd really be that much more willing to keep one revved for substantial periods of time vs. an I6, unless it's full of very pricey parts.
While long steep passes could be an issue for the 2F, it has enough power for highway speeds while it's flat, just has to turn a lot faster than is generally comfortable for most of us. Swapping a V-8 isn't going to change the RPM to speed ratio.

If your biggest issue is highway speeds, I see that as more of a gearing problem.
I've always been pretty well treated by a number of I6's I've had in multiple vehicles, and actually never had a V8 in anything I've owned. But don't see where you'd really be that much more willing to keep one revved for substantial periods of time vs. an I6, unless it's full of very pricey parts.
While long steep passes could be an issue for the 2F, it has enough power for highway speeds while it's flat, just has to turn a lot faster than is generally comfortable for most of us. Swapping a V-8 isn't going to change the RPM to speed ratio.

His gearing should be fine on 37s. The v8 is much nicer with the higher torque and power if you have a lot of meat to turn. Higher gears in the axle with a 2f makes it even worse. I have 4.11s in my white cruiser on 35's, and a SBC, and it pulls very nicely on trail and on highway. Living at nearly 9000ft does not help, but it does much better than the 2f ever would.

While long steep passes could be an issue for the 2F, it has enough power for highway speeds while it's flat
This is true. Steep passes slow me down with my mighty 2F but I can run 70 all day on the open roads.

I also understand that I'm driving a 1974 FJ40 and not a Porsche, or the ole' diesel dually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom