Engine rebuild advice: northern Virginia (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

My 1999 lc with 330k needs an engine rebuild. Any recommendations in the northern Virginia area? Rough idea in cost, seen anywhere fro $4000-$6000.

I bought my land cruiser from a good friend, and did the timing/etc for the 3rd time about 300k, so bad luck.

Most of the bones are good, minus some East coast rust, particularly on the fenders. My son in colorado is interested in taking it, so any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Send it to your son in CO and have Paul @2001LC do the rebuild

What about Land Cruiser Heaven in Hagerstown, MD? I don't have any direct experience with them (moved from NoVA to TX before they opened) but I've admired some of their project trucks and I know they do engine rebuilds. Worth a conversation, I've seen they've built some nice 100s. Their IG account is @landcruiserheaven and you can check some of their stuff on there.

Will reach out to Paul @2001LC and start a discussion.

Frank at landcruiserheaven has done a bit of work on my lc already (front axles, brakes/rotors, harness), and awaiting response from him, will reach out again.

Any other recommendations shoot my way.

Thanks all,
Eric

I know a small shop in Berryville, VA, they are primarily focused diesel shop mainly, but one of the mechanics in the group is a former Certified Toyota Mechanic that worked at a local dealer for many years. I have taken a few of my Yota vehicles their for maintenance items I simply from a labor perspective I care not to take on myself even though I have my own workshop and lift. I talked to them today about your forum post and they won't take on a 4.7 engine rebuild. But they would be open to diagnose why you need a rebuild (your post doesn't say) as well they are open to drop in a warrantied replacement 4.7 engine you or they source. If you are interested send me a DM and I'll pass along their contact info.

Don't rebuild and swap instead?

I already know i need the rebuild, leaking coolant into at least cylinder 3 (head gasket replacement/etc). Got an estimate for ~$4500 with starter and other bits from land cruiser heaven just now (OTRAMM in works). Advice so far is to rebuild my current engine (had 3 timing chains done on it already) vice a swap engine of unknown origin.

I am putting my lc up on a lift soon, ensuring the rust is superficial and not an issue.

SBWelds: sending DM once i figure out how. (PM).

I already know i need the rebuild, leaking coolant into at least cylinder 3 (head gasket replacement/etc). Got an estimate for ~$4500 with starter and other bits from land cruiser heaven just now (OTRAMM in works). Advice so far is to rebuild my current engine (had 3 timing chains done on it already) vice a swap engine of unknown origin.

I am putting my lc up on a lift soon, ensuring the rust is superficial and not an issue.

SBWelds: sending DM once i figure out how. (PM).

I'm sure they already told you this, but head gasket failure is very rare on the 2UZ. How badly was the motor overheated and what did the shop say on the subject?

Got a detailed quote on engine tear down and rebuild: 6700, shop does this work almost exclusively. Shop is seeing about a swap which would cut the price to engine + labor, my conservative estimate is about $2500ish + engine cost out the door.

Got another phone call quote estimate for 4500 for a rebuild, going to get some some concrete details to compare.

that said , sourcing a swap engine is not out of the question, but worried about quality/source of engine.

if anyone has experience or recommendation for with for engine swap, please forward.

regarding 4.7 with 328k needing this work being rare, my tlc seems to be that rare one.

There is almost no reason to rebuild an LC 4.7 when there are a gazillion of perfectly good low-mileage motors from Tundras out there. Buy from a reputable auto recycler and don't worry about it. I would NEVER rebuild a 300k+ mile motor that had been overheated, even one as good as the LC 4.7. It will, IMHO, never be as good as a motor that was not rebuilt.

if anyone has experience or recommendation for with for engine swap, please forward.

regarding 4.7 with 328k needing this work being rare, my tlc seems to be that rare one.

Give the shop I gave you a call and talk to them. Only out a phone call. They have done many engine swaps for Gas and Diesel engines. It didn't sound like they had done a yota 4.7 before. My assumption for labor was around that $2500 number you threw out when I talked to them in regard to your situation.

Specifically, the replacement engine, in the past I have seen in order to meet compliance for the factory warrantied engine would require you to perform a replacement of the timing belt and some other items for the warranty to be good. So it isn't so much a drop and go, expect a few items to be replaced. Typically this is notated somewhere in the contract/sales receipt. Different engines may require different items to be replaced to meet that warranty.

Give the shop I gave you a call and talk to them. Only out a phone call. They have done many engine swaps for Gas and Diesel engines. It didn't sound like they had done a yota 4.7 before. My assumption for labor was around that $2500 number you threw out when I talked to them in regard to your situation.

Specifically, the replacement engine, in the past I have seen in order to meet compliance for the factory warrantied engine would require you to perform a replacement of the timing belt and some other items for the warranty to be good. So it isn't so much a drop and go, expect a few items to be replaced. Typically this is notated somewhere in the contract/sales receipt. Different engines may require different items to be replaced to meet that warranty.
With the engine out, all the hard stuff becomes more trivial

Get a low mileage Tundra motor and swap it - there's some good detailed engine swap thread on here to if you search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom