Triple-locked LX470 blew plug out of cylinder 7 at 270k. New engine advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a 2003 LX470 that - like many of us - I've personalized quite a bit. Brand new 33" tires, brakes, rotors, bearings, custom bamboo tailgate cover / drawer system, lithium ion battery system, front and rear lockers, 4.30 gearing (5spd normally 4.11), completely rebuilt front and rear suspension, new Toyota CV axles, dissent bumper, gamiviti rack, etc... Ongoing exhaust manifold leaks, and very mild rear main seal leak. No other concerns on the rig, transmission consistently in clean bill of health.

Immediately after I finished the front-end rebuilds and got brand spankin new Nokian tires mounted, I blew a spark plug out of cylinder 7. I had it towed directly to a mechanic once it sounded horrible and they found the damage (see pics below). Note the tip of the spark-plug fell into the cylinder. Owner of the shop has a built 100 series, but they aren't Toyota specific. Shop is recommending putting either a used engine in, or a reman from FVP Powertrain (FVP Engines & Transmissions | Underhood Powertrain | FVP Parts - https://www.fvpparts.com/products/underhood/powertrain/engines-transmissions). Their experience with FVP is favorable, and the reman will have 4 year unlimited mile warranty. I have found 2 other reman suppliers with 7year warranties.

All installed, used would be ~12k, reman ~14k. I'm sure I could do this myself, but I'm not going to. I'm not looking for another project right now.

Reading the forum, consensus seems to be against reman engines, but my mechanic thinks it's better to get the warranty on a reman than to spend nearly the same on a rebuild. I'm concerned used at this point would be a crapshoot and I don't want to spend months searching for a "nice" used engine.

I need a better of diagnosis of exactly what's wrong and current condition of all the bits, but does anyone have suggestions to source a solid engine? If I spend money like this on this rig, I'd like to know I have another 200k+ on it and still a super reliable vehicle.

Also, any great ideas on how it could be rebuilt to be more... interesting?

Thanks for any advice!!

REMAN long block (fvp powertrain)5964.29
coolant100.28
engine coolant thermostat37.34
spark plug162.48
coil packs1342.88
drive belt74.11
supplies37.95
Engine mounts300
Headers / exhaust manifolds700
tax1070
Labor (Engine R&R)4359.92
Inspection129.95

LX470_2.jpg

LX470_3.jpg

LX470.jpg

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_A09236FCCF81-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had same issue.

Non OEM coil

Get piece off the motor and use helicoil. It has been over 10years and 100k miles and couple of spark plug changes.

If he doesn’t feel comfortable then find an RV place (they have done these alot on Ford motors) or a Ford shop.

No need to spend all that money.

Helicoil and peel out.

For 12-14K, I would just buy another running LX off Marketplace for 8k and move all my junk over.

I had same issue.

Non OEM coil

Get piece off the motor and use helicoil. It has been over 10years and 100k miles and couple of spark plug changes.

If he doesn’t feel comfortable then find an RV place (they have done these alot on Ford motors) or a Ford shop.

No need to spend all that money.

Helicoil and peel out.

Like Bomar said, heli-coil or time-sert and go. Ford V10 owners have been dealing with for many years and most just throw an insert of their choosing and go. It's not a terrible job to do with the head on but it's better than pulling the head off, unless it's a must.

You'll get varying results for feedback on this, in the end it's up to you. You hav nothing to lose by at least attempting to throw an insert in and seeing what happens.

Like everyone else said borescope pictures of the cylinder will be the most revealing to see what damage the head of the spark plug did in there. If you decide to go with an insert I would only recommend timesert. Can’t hurt to give that a try and check compression numbers.

Hi All,

I have a 2003 LX470 that - like many of us - I've personalized quite a bit. Brand new 33" tires, brakes, rotors, bearings, custom bamboo tailgate cover / drawer system, lithium ion battery system, front and rear lockers, 4.30 gearing (5spd normally 4.11), completely rebuilt front and rear suspension, new Toyota CV axles, dissent bumper, gamiviti rack, etc... Ongoing exhaust manifold leaks, and very mild rear main seal leak. No other concerns on the rig, transmission consistently in clean bill of health.

Immediately after I finished the front-end rebuilds and got brand spankin new Nokian tires mounted, I blew a spark plug out of cylinder 7. I had it towed directly to a mechanic once it sounded horrible and they found the damage (see pics below). Note the tip of the spark-plug fell into the cylinder. Owner of the shop has a built 100 series, but they aren't Toyota specific. Shop is recommending putting either a used engine in, or a reman from FVP Powertrain (FVP Engines & Transmissions | Underhood Powertrain | FVP Parts - https://www.fvpparts.com/products/underhood/powertrain/engines-transmissions). Their experience with FVP is favorable, and the reman will have 4 year unlimited mile warranty. I have found 2 other reman suppliers with 7year warranties.

All installed, used would be ~12k, reman ~14k. I'm sure I could do this myself, but I'm not going to. I'm not looking for another project right now.

Reading the forum, consensus seems to be against reman engines, but my mechanic thinks it's better to get the warranty on a reman than to spend nearly the same on a rebuild. I'm concerned used at this point would be a crapshoot and I don't want to spend months searching for a "nice" used engine.

I need a better of diagnosis of exactly what's wrong and current condition of all the bits, but does anyone have suggestions to source a solid engine? If I spend money like this on this rig, I'd like to know I have another 200k+ on it and still a super reliable vehicle.

Also, any great ideas on how it could be rebuilt to be more... interesting?

Thanks for any advice!!

REMAN long block (fvp powertrain)5964.29
coolant100.28
engine coolant thermostat37.34
spark plug162.48
coil packs1342.88
drive belt74.11
supplies37.95
Engine mounts300
Headers / exhaust manifolds700
tax1070
Labor (Engine R&R)4359.92
Inspection129.95

View attachment 3509839

View attachment 3509840

View attachment 3509841

View attachment 3509844

View attachment 3509845

A shop down where I'm at (Orange County, CA) threw in a new long block, all new components you can think of, for $4500. Reputable shop.

I ordered this scope Amazon product ASIN B0CJY5C9QX with an articulating head and took photos of the cylinder today. At 270k the cross-hatching is impressive!

Looks like metal piece dropped in, left some marks, and was ejected out the valves.

Now we're thinking that we just throw on a new head and fix the exhaust manifold leaks (R&R of both heads / manifolds). Agreed it might work to throw a spark plug in and drive off, but I want to set this up right to depend on the rig. Assumption is that threads in block are degraded.

Untitled.001.png

Untitled.002.png

Untitled.003.png

Untitled.004.png

looks minty, even the thread LOOK ok, maybe re tap? and run it

Maybe because I turn wrenches all day every day for the last few decades and just plain tired with little desire to work on my own projects, but I see nothing that would keep me from throwing some new plugs and coils in it and calling it a job well done.

The upper few threads look a little squared but a chaser could clean them up. Should hold torque just fine, if not then you know the next step. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom