Engine Noise Issue 2019 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my sister's land cruiser. 46,000 miles 2019.

She has had issues with engine noise for two months and it was at the local Toyota dealer for one month. The valve cover was removed on the driver's side for inspection of the valve train with no issues supposedly found. Please help as the engine sounds terrible. Any advice will be helpful.

do you have a recording of the noise?

can someone instruct me on how to upload a video or audio file?

Additional notes:

Noise only occurs at idle or very low speed. it sounds like a diesel truck during this moments. at highway speed the noise goes away.

Additional notes:

Noise only occurs at idle or very low speed. it sounds like a diesel truck during this moments. at highway speed the noise goes away.
Any performance issues? Or just noise?

Yeah, need better recording. Can’t hear crap with that semi roaring by.

here is the noise in the driveway with no background noise. hood is up and sounds terrible. i am shocked the local toyota dealer sent her away with it.

Only thing obvious to me is the standard 3UR valve train noise. POSSIBLY something a little more knock-like but extremely quiet and I’m definitely not sure.

If you are concerned pull an oil sample and send it off for used oil analysis. If anything is going wrong with the bottom end, even extremely early, they will absolutely find it.

here is the noise in the driveway with no background noise. hood is up and sounds terrible. i am shocked the local toyota dealer sent her away with it.

Sounds normal to me. When was the last oil change?

EDIT: Sounds like typical valve train noise to me as well. Try switching to 5w-30 at the next oil change. Lots of folks, myself included, have made the switch and noticed reduced valve train noise after doing so.

Last edited:
oil was changed at the dealership when it was there for review of the noise. The vehicle is noticeable loud when idling in a parking lot, to the point that it attracts attention. This just started and was the reason it was sent to the local dealer for review. I understand the local dealer in Oxford, MS held it for a month waiting on a qualified tech (traveling tech?) to evaluate because they are having staffing issues. There are no codes nor is the CEL on.

According to her, the local dealer acknowledged that it does not sound right but with nothing to note in the diagnostics they told her to drive it after the qualified tech inspected the valve train. I guess the only option is an oil sample after putting some miles on it and sending to blackstone laboratories.

I have 2019…and i “think” that mine sounds like that. Need to check when i get home.

Hard to judge whether excessive. Do know the fuel injectors can make a ticking noise. Interesting though the Toyota dealer has opened up things. Seems bad news. Better get Toyota corporate/factory to assess this. I guess having it documented with the dealer is an important minimum for any come back and repair later on.

oil was changed at the dealership when it was there for review of the noise. The vehicle is noticeable loud when idling in a parking lot, to the point that it attracts attention. This just started and was the reason it was sent to the local dealer for review. I understand the local dealer in Oxford, MS held it for a month waiting on a qualified tech (traveling tech?) to evaluate because they are having staffing issues. There are no codes nor is the CEL on.

According to her, the local dealer acknowledged that it does not sound right but with nothing to note in the diagnostics they told her to drive it after the qualified tech inspected the valve train. I guess the only option is an oil sample after putting some miles on it and sending to blackstone laboratories.
Have you listened to any other 200 LC engines for comparison?

Yeah and they put more 0w-20 in it. Change the oil to 5w-30 and see what happens. Hell, they may have even put 0w-16 in it, knowing dealership lube "techs"!

my personal experience, we have a 13 lx 570 with about 130k miles. I have used 5w-30 for the 30k miles. The latest oil is the valvoline extended protection (EP) 5w-30. The engine is very quiet. The valvoline ep has great additive package. A lot of moly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom