Engine died while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was so proud of Troopy. She crushed it on really hard trails yesterday and today. She was perfect. After the trails, filled her up at a non ethanol gas station and drove half an hour home. All good. A few hours later, I went out to get ice cream for my wife. Troopy started perfectly, drove to town. Started perfectly to come home. Halfway home, without any warning or symptoms, the engine just died and will not restart. There was no loss of power, no surging, no smoke, no smell, no nothing. It just quit and won't start now. It cranks and cranks but won't turn on. Any ideas on what it could be? I have a carburetor. It was replaced about a month ago. I replaced the points and condenser with an electric system about a year ago. I replaced the coil about a year ago.

Some folks here have run their Pertronix forever without issue. I've encountered several failures. All with the Ignitor II. The red ones. The black Ignitor I never failed me.
I would check for spark first. One of "THESE" work great for a quick test.

And if you don't have spark and don't have a meter, one of "THESE" will work to check for voltage going to the + side of the coil when key is in the "Run" position and also while in the "Start" position.

And if you don't have spark and don't have a meter, one of "THESE" will work to check for voltage going to the + side of the coil when key is in the "Run" position and also while in the "Start" position.
Steamer, Thank you for both of your suggestions. Indications are that it is a fuel problem. Too much fuel. I think my fuel pump may be putting out too much pressure, overwhelming the carburetor. I drove 3.5 hours each way yesterday to take her to Dr. Poor Wally. Hopefully, she will come back as reliable as a 200.

Steamer, Thank you for both of your suggestions. Indications are that it is a fuel problem. Too much fuel. I think my fuel pump may be putting out too much pressure, overwhelming the carburetor. I drove 3.5 hours each way yesterday to take her to Dr. Poor Wally. Hopefully, she will come back as reliable as a 200.
Chances are that a piece of debris got stuck between the needle and seat in the carb, causing it to flood. The carburetor should be disassembled and cleaned.

Have them change the engine oil as well.

I agree with Mark’s advice. I had almost the same experience a few days ago! Had to be towed, 2F would not stay on and it happened out of no where after acting slightly odd for a few blocks. Narrowed it down to a fuel issue and it was not the fuel pump or filter. Cleaned the needle, seat, and jets, reassembled and was good to go. Will need to convince Mark to rebuild the carb soon enough 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom