Engine Builder Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the pistons are $1400.00 that engine would 5K plus before the throttle is ever touched......geeez

If the pistons are $1400.00 that engine would 5K plus before the throttle is ever touched......geeez

Only $1100 for the pistons. Add gaskets/rings/bore/deck/align hone/balance/head work/cam and now you're getting close to $600 ..... per cylinder.

So, we never asked ...... is something going on with this engine causing the notion it needs a build? A discussion in another thread I likely missed?

I even hinted about a sciency gearhead :rofl: you finally show'd up

I'm not sure how but the sciency gearhead remark never showed up on my notices. :flipoff2:

The blackstone report is certainly short of flattering. I agree with the remark someone made regarding holding out for a second report. Also, Mark (@65swb45) is spot on regarding how the 2F is seriously hard to kill. Short cycle the oil changes and you may have a few years yet.

Another option if you feel up to it would be to find another 2F you can put on the engine stand and rebuild yourself at your leisure and then, like we so often mention in here, HAMOM that new baby into the engine bay.

Last edited:
Top to bottom rebuilt (new everything) or some other level of "rebuilt"?

THoff in Raleigh could likely do it. I've had them do some things recently and have a good turnaround.
2nd THoff. He went through my head on my Lx when I was doing my HG. Turn around was quick.

I bet I’ve sent him 6 heads on various projects. Good experience every time.

now you're getting close to $600 ..... per cylinder.

This is why the vast majority of people do not rebuild F/2F engines. They're too expensive to rebuild, if you can find the parts. Far cheaper to find a used one and slap it in.

Is there visual identifiers on this .5 head. I happen to know where some heads are.

Casting number 60051 I believe. If you happen to have access to one, great. Otherwise chat with your <knowlegable!> machine shop regarding how much milling can happen to your existing head (not much) and if you would then need custom pushrods.

This is why the vast majority of people do not rebuild F/2F engines. They're too expensive to rebuild, if you can find the parts. Far cheaper to find a used one and slap it in.

Sooo right. Or they abandon the F/2F entirely. The truly nervous part (obviously) is not knowing the history of the used replacement.

A rebuild of the 2F (maybe with the .5 Head, I have found one for $550.00 + shipping) is my only option. I realize that it all boils down to money. But I have spent so much already collecting new and NOS OEM parts I can't see doing anything else.

$550 sounds high to me unless there has been a lot of work done to it

I agree. Cruiser Solutions in CO. Everything they have is high and they don't provide shipping costs until after the order has been placed and then they tack it on

or @NCFJ , He may have a pullout from one of his ls swaps, or one upcoming.

To my knowledge, I have not pulled out an F1.5. I have only pulled 2f and 3FE motors from 60 and 62 series. I may well be incorrect. I do not profess to know much about Toyota motors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom