Engine Builder Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may need to have my 5/80 2F engine rebuilt. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks
Tom

Auto Machine in Fayetteville did my 1FE. they are old school father/son shop, but they seem to do good work, they were recommended to me from an old Toyota mechanic. they also worked with me on installing Toyota parts, quick turn around and provided a warranty.

I may need to have my 5/80 2F engine rebuilt. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks
Tom

Top to bottom rebuilt (new everything) or some other level of "rebuilt"?

THoff in Raleigh could likely do it. I've had them do some things recently and have a good turnaround.

So you'd have to find a later head to run the 'flat' top Pistons? Is everything else essentially the same?

To retain the same compression ratio, yes. IIRC, yes, everything else on the inside is (more or less) the same. Lots of things outside the long block changed between '75 and '87.

I believe 75-80 2Fs are domed.

Correct ... and if your end goal is to come out with a little more performance a 74 F.5 head will bump the compression a bit (if you can find one)

I’ll put mine on a pallet. Send me the bill

Happy to, but when you get it back it might look a little funny. :D

engine-1.jpg

So, for clarity, @Rice uses a proprietary process where he takes two F series blocks, machines off the two bad cylinders on each, grinds them into a 30 degree V shape, and welds them together in a new, more shapely configuration. He then precision machines a new crankshaft, camshaft, and other internal components, all to exacting tolerances. He adds a new intake system, and can plumb for either carb, or fuel injection.

The engine is slightly wider, but a lot shorter, allowing for a larger radiator, and additional accesories, like power steering, and Air Conditioning.

THe exhaust system is reworked to accommodate the new block configuration.

All in all, a great way to triple or quadruple the output of the engine.

That's a lot of work, I just buy those V8s from GM already welded up :)

So, for clarity, @Rice uses a proprietary process where he takes two F series blocks, machines off the two bad cylinders on each, grinds them into a 30 degree V shape, and welds them together in a new, more shapely configuration. He then precision machines a new crankshaft, camshaft, and other internal components, all to exacting tolerances. He adds a new intake system, and can plumb for either carb, or fuel injection.

The engine is slightly wider, but a lot shorter, allowing for a larger radiator, and additional accesories, like power steering, and Air Conditioning.

THe exhaust system is reworked to accommodate the new block configuration.

All in all, a great way to triple or quadruple the output of the engine.

@NCFJ is right .... that really is a lot of work. Smarter just to keep those other 4 cylinders.

engine-2.jpg

<<<<<<HIJACK = OFF>>>>>>

So tell me about this 74 F.5 head

Your engine has domed pistons and an open chamber head to match. 73 and 74 engines also had domed pistons but it was a small dome and a small combustion chamber to match .... so running the smaller chamber will give you about a 1 point compression bump. The 74 head is a bolt on with no mods because the F.5 engine used the same internal rocker oiling system that would also be used on the 2F. The 73 F engine fed oil to the rocker via an external tube.

Add a custom ground cam (I can suggest a few specs :hillbilly:), 3F exhaust, and some +1mm pistons (not for HP but for a clean cylinder seal) and Vroom.

Enable = ON :lol:

Another option is to raise the CR with these:

Man-A-Fre Forged High Compression Pistons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom