Elocker Install Writeup!! Opinions and Input Needed!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll jump in and try to clairify things a bit.

I had never had an occasion to look at the LX450 harness part numbers so I peeked at that catalog.

Here is the skinny:

ALL US LX450's use the same floor harness that travels down the left sill. It makes no difference if the vehicle has diff locks. ALL years of 80 series have D/L and non D/L versions of that harness.

So, converting a 450 would only require building a short harness to go from the rear axle harness up into the quarter panel as opposed to going all the way to the cowel as required for an 80.

It is not a complete plug in unless the rear sill harness is also changed as that harness contains the ground path for the locker and makes the bridge between the axle wire and the floor wire.

D-

GOOD NEWS AND EVEN WORSE NEWS!!!!

Hey Guys, Sorry i have been slacking on this writeup, been busy as hell with work.

The good news is that i finally got around to bench testing this locked via the dash controls and harness i made up via Cdans advice!

I basically put the locker on the tailgate, installed the 5 "Oem Male Prongs" into the female end of the plug shown here:

cowltobody2.jpg

I then ran the wires to the locker and spliced them into the harness i got from KOFFER that attachs to the diff itself, turned the rig on, pushed the center diff lock, turned the magical dial and the actuator moved into the lock position and the indicator bulb on the dash lit up (solid) to indicate it was locked! VERY STOKED!!!!

I am still waiting on 2 diff studs and then the locker will be install hopefully tomorrow AM.

Now the bad news, i wanted to fully document this with pics and such, BUT i have been busy as hell working and such, so we took a vacation to Yosemite last weekend. Well, we got 1/2 way there, spent the night in the hotel and came out to find my rear window pried open and a bunch of stuff stolen. List of the big stuff: Canon Powershot A95, GPSV that i just gave to a friend, and a 30GB Ipod

As of now i got no camera to take pics. I should have one soon and will post pics of the final product that should be done this weekend!

This is a very simple mod and i give CDan HUGE thanks for the help and advice via phone!

Where's Charles Bronson when you need him?

Well, i got everything installed today, wired it up and whammo, it locks and unlocks perfectly and the dash indicator bulb comes on and everything, very very stoked! I know this sounds lame to you guys with lockers, but for me, this is a big deal! :D

Hardest part of the entire thing was getting the cone washers off of the axle flange to get the shaft out! What a freaking pain!

Most annyoying/awkward part of this was notching the housing while its all in the truck!

Many pics and details coming soon!

Huge thanks to Koffer and Cdan!

Feel free with questions!

I appreciate your feelings as I traveled that same route. It is indeed satisfying to see the transition through. I trust you throughly cleaned the axle housing after you cut the notch. I suggest that you do a drain and refill in about 100 to 200 miles and then again in about another 400 miles or so. You will be amazed at the ammount of metal you will get out, especially on the first drain.

Congratulations my friend......:cheers:

D-

cruiserdan said:
I appreciate your feelings as I traveled that same route. It is indeed satisfying to see the transition through. I trust you throughly cleaned the axle housing after you cut the notch. I suggest that you do a drain and refill in about 100 to 200 miles and then again in about another 400 miles or so. You will be amazed at the ammount of metal you will get out, especially on the first drain.

Congratulations my friend......:cheers:

D-

Yes, sir, cleaned the hell out of it with brake cleaner, magnets, etc... I stuffed rags in the tubes also to make sure nothing got in there!

Thanks for the suggestion on the drain after 500, i will do that.

I was BAFFLED by how much metal was on the drain plug when i drained the original stuff! There was TONS of it stuck to the magnet, probably close to a full tablespoon! Funny thing was, the teeth all looked perfect and the bearings were fine, curious where it all came from, nothing looked messed up!

Thank god for those magnets!

Yea, that's a pretty cool "OEM mod". :cheers:

Congratulations - the lockers are the ticket. I'm tickling mine Monday on my first trip of the fall. :bounce:

The front will come as soon as i find a complete housing.

Cdan, does the birfield need to be changed between elocker and non elocker housings? I would guess that the splines need to be longer on the elocker version, but i dont recall hearing about this.

Front mod is a simple plug and play if you use an elocker housing which is what i am going to try to do!

Many more details on the rear coming soon, once i get a camera!~

The only differences on the front are the diff and the axle housing, everything else is the same.

sleeoffroad said:
The front locks in a diiferent way and the inner axle shafts are the same for elocker and non locker.

Awesome! Thanks!

cruiserdan said:
Here is the skinny:

ALL US LX450's use the same floor harness that travels down the left sill. It makes no difference if the vehicle has diff locks. ALL years of 80 series have D/L and non D/L versions of that harness.

D-

Can we officially add that to the list of why LX's are better than LC's then?? :D

No.

Thanks for asking tho.....:flipoff2:

Rookie2 said:
Can we officially add that to the list of why LX's are better than LC's then?? :D

It was already added to the list of differences and you can interpret those differences any way you want. This one certainly doesn't offset the bungled job Lexus did with the crippled sliding window in the cargo area. :D

-B-

Rookie2 said:

Dan's right, there is no need for a list, everybody knows LX's are vastly superior! :grinpimp:

Beowulf said:
It was already added to the list of differences and you can interpret those differences any way you want. This one certainly doesn't offset the bungled job Lexus did with the crippled sliding window in the cargo area. :D

-B-

I thought you went away..?? :flipoff2:

Rookie2 said:
I thought you went away..?? :flipoff2:

I'm down :frown: but not out. ;)

-B-

LandCruiserPhil said:
What symbol shows up when the unused hole when illuminated?

None, its empty with just blackness

I may have missed it, but can you detail the harness which has to be added? I have installed both lockers, and am now in the wiring phase. I have located everything, I think. I assume the fabbed harness is attached to the rear axle harness just under the left quarter, so if you could detail which wires in the axle harness need to go to which wires in the plug at the passenger kick panel I'd really appreciate it. Also, did you put a plug at the axle end, or cut off the end? If you put in a plug, was it OEM, available from the dealer?

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom