Elocker Install Writeup!! Opinions and Input Needed!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boston Mangler said:
Didnt do much, i pulled the plug off of what i thought was the tcase sensor and out a paperclip to bridge the wires, nothing happened except the ATP light came one when it was in park. The ABS or Diff Lock Light never came on. Maybe i pulled the wrong plug.

Responded to your email Kevin.

I'm getting stoked already! I poped my dash to look for the switch plug and the right kick panel for the ecu plug, and they're there! Most excellent! So, that means that the majority of the harness is or should be there, or are those parts always there? I was thinking of putting in a complete axle from some parting-out place on the web on the rear first, and as budget allows, do the front later. Where else do I need to look for harnesses? Excellent post, Mangler!

mason said:
I'm getting stoked already! I poped my dash to look for the switch plug and the right kick panel for the ecu plug, and they're there! Most excellent! So, that means that the majority of the harness is or should be there, or are those parts always there? I was thinking of putting in a complete axle from some parting-out place on the web on the rear first, and as budget allows, do the front later. Where else do I need to look for harnesses? Excellent post, Mangler!

I mention most of what is needed for harnesses and such in the writeup :D

Read my write up in about an hour or so and i will have more details about what is there and what ya need and bla bla. I am going to edit it now. If your not afraid to get into your wiring, this is fairly simple!

Gotta give Kudos to cruiserdan, he has been a big help!

Details coming!

Front Locker Harness from locker to firewall (this is a simple plug and play install, as my 93 already had the plug coming out of the firewall!

BM, is this the locker harness that is coming from the firewall?

Last edited:
4x4CPOSEADOG said:
Front Locker Harness from locker to firewall (this is a simple plug and play install, as my 93 already had the plug coming out of the firewall!

BM, is this the locker harness that is coming from the firewall?

Not sure yet, i havent traced it into the interior yet . I am talking about the outside of the firewall (engine compartment).

Any more news on your install?

Yes, need to do some testing this weekend or next before i post the info (need to verify it), but i think it is 99% done. I am picking up the locker from a friend of mine who is currently out of town. I still need to order the shaft and seal and gasket as well. Updates soon!

Thanks
Kevin

What is the status of this project? Is this done yet? If so, then I would like to know which connector in the driver side panel did you connect the 5 wiring harness? I looked at the EWD and cannot find the connector to which this 5 pins were supposed to be connected to run the rear locking differential.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
What is the status of this project? Is this done yet? If so, then I would like to know which connector in the driver side panel did you connect the 5 wiring harness? I looked at the EWD and cannot find the connector to which this 5 pins were supposed to be connected to run the rear locking differential.

Project isnt done, busy busy as hell, working, racing, traveling, etc... Probably going to be a few weeks at least, before i get the time to finish this up. Frustrating, i got all of the parts here waiting, but no time to do it!

Here are some pics of the plug you ask about

cowltobody.jpg

and

cowltobody2.jpg

BM,

That is way kewl. I'm going to start digging on that connector tomorrow. Thanks.

Dang... for some reason I was picturing a harness with 5 wires. That thing looks like it has about 20 :eek:.

Originally posted by Rookie2
Dang... for some reason I was picturing a harness with 5 wires. That thing looks like it has about 20

From what I understand, you have to make a 5 wire harnesses with end terminals and then be added into that connector. It is much easier to just piggy back that 5 wire harness into the existing floor wire harness than to trace those wires that are integrated deeply inside the wire looms.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
From what I understand, you have to make a 5 wire harnesses with end terminals and then be added into that connector..

Correct!

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
It is much easier to just piggy back that 5 wire harness into the existing floor wire harness than to trace those wires that are integrated deeply inside the wire looms.

I am not understanding you? You can't trace any wires inside the loom, because they are not there, that is why you add them! :D

Rookie2 said:
Dang... for some reason I was picturing a harness with 5 wires. That thing looks like it has about 20 :eek:.

Actually, it has 15, you have to ADD the last 5 to it to make 20! :flipoff2:

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
I'm going to start digging on that connector tomorrow.

Dont use a shovel, you might damage the connector!

UPDATE! 14 ft long 5 wire harness not required!

Originally posted by Boston Mangler
I am not understanding you? You can't trace any wires inside the loom, because they are not there, that is why you add them!

WRONG answer Sherlock! Upon meticulously digging and tinkering with connectors, couple of trips to the dealer, and massive researched, I found out the wires are integrated in the floor wire number 1 harness that runs from connector ID1 (connector located in front left kick panel) all the way to the rear left quarter panel connector right below the jack mount and this connector is called BQ1 in the EWD.

Front connector called ID1, you use pin 3 (green), pin 9 (green-yellow ), pin 10 (green-orange), pin 13 (white), and pin 14 (green-black)

Rear left quarter panel connector called BQ1, you use pin 1 (green-blue), pin 2 (green), pin 5 (green-black), pin 6 (geen-yellow), and pin 12 (white).

Now what is needed is 5 female pins terminated with 3 feet long 14 gauge wires to be added to the female side of the connector BQ1 and it will go through the rear firewall grommet to connect to the rear diff lock wiring harness connector Bh2 (part number 81265-60081 list price $94.03)

So there you have it! All I need now is the whole front and rear axle assemblies with diff locks, then I will be all set as far as RETROFITTING OEM LOCKERS.

Last edited:
This is GREAT! The only thing that bothers me is... HOW COULD THIS BE?? Dan wouldn't be telling us we had to fab a 5 wire harness, if it were already there. Is this a post 93/94 thing?

When I went to the local Toy dealer here, I spent some time in their library with permission from their Sales manager. I looked at 95, 96, and 97 LC EWD and all three EWDs yield the same wire color coding, pin numbers, and connectors. I did not get the chance to look at the 93 and 94 EWD, because the Part Manager and Head Mechanic having argument in the library so I walked away. But that's what I got from reading.

Maybe the 93 and 94 don't have wirings in the ID1 and BQ1 connectors. I'll take a look next time in their library. Maybe we can ask CDan.

Wow, Noel, boasting a little prematurely eh?? It appears you are excited because you think i am wrong and you want to prove it?

The pins are missing in my harness as depicted in my pic, i can assure you of that, if they werent, i wouldnt have taken the pic and counted the wires! If there in yours great, your a step ahead, but dont go bashing me, saying i am giving false info! For my 1993 FZJ80 that is how the wires are, whether or not they are the same on yours i have NO CLUE and i cant give info for something i havent seen! What i HAVE seen, is MY rig and MY wiring and my pics are RIGHT for a 1993 FZJ80

Please remove your edited pics, they are incorrect for my writeup for a 1993 and they may confuse people! Maybe your 97 LX is different, my writeup is for a 1993 FZJ80 and will be written for said vehicle, please either remove your pics or edit them citing what rig your referring to in them!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom