Eliminate the charcoal canister? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am going to try to find it I one of the other stores. I would like to have it put it in as soon as I possibly can but my daughter decided to have her appendix removed today

Mine sprays gas when I drive above 9000 feet in the summer. I need to do this. Do these AutoZone canisters also fit the 91 to 93 fj80's?

yes, it is roughly the same size as stock. You will need to strap it in place though. I used big zip ties and it works fine.

The original support for the canister work just fine. Best thing to do is to remove the bottom clamp/support and just use the upper support.

Charcoal Canister

Just ordered one from AutoZone.. had free next day shipping

Mine sprays gas when I drive above 9000 feet in the summer. I need to do this. Do these AutoZone canisters also fit the 91 to 93 fj80's?

Fits my 92 well enough. Mines rigged with zip ties. Lmao

I wonder if anyone has tried to capture the vapor in a condenser coil for it to drain back into the tank? Our milage already sucks, I don't like the thought of wasting fuel vapor into charcoal.

I wonder if anyone has tried to capture the vapor in a condenser coil for it to drain back into the tank? Our milage already sucks, I don't like the thought of wasting fuel vapor into charcoal.
Fuel vapors are stored in the canister and then purged to the engine for use. Even if you directly vent the fuel tank to atmosphere, you will likely see zero difference in fuel economy.

I want to delete the canister purely because its in the way. My australian FZJ80 is really crowded around the battery/fusebox and I struggle to add any electrical gear. If that canister wasn't there, I could use the brackets to mount more fuse boxes/a big isolator switch.

My understanding is people remove the canister, plug the hose to engine/VSV, then put a breather/filter on the fuel tank hose and mount it low. Why is it mounted low? So the fuel drains to the ground?

My understanding is the fuel tank expands/gets hot when driving, so fuel vapour will exit the hose when driving. Does the tank cool and contract once you park up? ie. does the hose experience vacuum? I wouldn't want to suck dust and contaminants into my fuel tank, hence the filter.

I have thought about doing this but the idea of fuel fumes venting freely into my engine bay scares me. It seems like 1 spark and you got a fire....

I removed my clogged canister for a while however the fuel smell will drive you crazy. Replaced with the Autozone canister, no smell and no more pressurized fuel tank. Wish I did the Autozone unit sooner.
What part did you order from auto zone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom