This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd considered this an option a while back and now someone is implementing it...

1701843415635.png

1701843358889.png

1701843133352.png

Now all I'd like to do is figure out how to do it for less than $400 (USD) a side for calipers. More and more cars have electric parking brakes.

I'd considered this an option a while back and now someone is implementing it...

View attachment 3499944

View attachment 3499943

View attachment 3499941

Now all I'd like to do is figure out how to do it for less than $400 (USD) a side for calipers. More and more cars have electric parking brakes.
I wonder how much they appreciate fjording rivers...

I wonder how much they appreciate fjording rivers...
Although they do have O-ring seals on the calipers water could be a potential problem.

Maybe one on a tcase ebrake would be ok, might be eaier to wire than to make custom brake cable. Purchase price would be the question.

Wilwood mechanical I used works ok. Beats finding a rock when I'm back and forth through the back gate :lol:
PXL_20220517_155414695.jpg

Because 40 series T-case drum brakes don’t hold awesome… but for the money it would cost the stock drum could be rebuilt 5 times over. A mechanical calliper looks like the better option though.
Not so true… well adjusted without being soaked in oil (like most of them are) they work very well. Plus you get the benefit of locking the whole driveline when in 4wd.

I’ve never had complaints (once maintained and adjusted) with the tcase brake on a 40.

I’ve had more issue with the bell cranks on 60 and later 40 axle e-brakes.

YMMV.

But for the sake of someone being the devil's avocado..

How many of us are still running non split cases with a tcase ebrake? I haven't even seen one in ten years or more.

The split case ones exist but are not exactly easy to find if you don't already have one.

Not so true… well adjusted without being soaked in oil (like most of them are) they work very well. Plus you get the benefit of locking the whole driveline when in 4wd.
Well the rear drum brakes still “lock everything in” when 4wd is engaged. More surface area, more hold. No leaky TC but there’s axles seals that keep the opinions going.

I’ve never had complaints (once maintained and adjusted) with the tcase brake on a 40.

I’ve had more issue with the bell cranks on 60 and later 40 axle e-brakes.

YMMV.
Are you saying that my E-Brake would hold better if I went through it again? It's not oil soaked or anything... just hasn't had much done to it since I rebuilt it in Dec '91. For all I know it may have been beyond measurement back in '91... but it did work in the beginning.

Well the rear drum brakes still “lock everything in” when 4wd is engaged. More surface area, more hold. No leaky TC but there’s axles seals that keep the opinions going.
There's also a mechanical advantage factor. Tcase brake has 4.1 over the wheels. (Or 3.7 if that's your kink)

I guess in theory that lets them get away with the smaller surface area.

Maybe they didn't account for the neglect of the owners ... My first cruiser the lever cut the center hub off as neat as a lathe because the guy kept adding spacers to the ebrake cable 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom