eBay “OEM” Dash Pad Advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve found multiple options for OEM dash pads on ebay which are more friendly to my budget. Has anyone purchased an OEM dash pad from ebay? And is it legit?

One such example is this one. What are y’alls thoughts?

I have purchased parts on ebay that were advertised as genuine, shipped from Japan and absolutely they were. Factory Toyota packaging. Legit in my experience. So you can skip the middleman mark-up which was over 100% on the parts I bought.

I'm curious which models were fitted with these dash pads. Are they USA only?
I don't have them on my South African HJ45 (thankfully).
I assume it was an afterthought to make them vaguely more safe in a crash?

Ask the South American lipstick pig sellers where they theirs and go elseware!

Rfitzpatrick
The only thing I’ll add is without our support the vendors that support our Landcruiser community won’t stay in business and without them it will be tough to find lots of parts that aren’t always available on eBay.
In the long run it usually doesn’t cost much more to buy from the vendors here on Mud.

Rfitzpatrick
The only thing I’ll add is without our support the vendors that support our Landcruiser community won’t stay in business and without them it will be tough to find lots of parts that aren’t always available on eBay.
In the long run it usually doesn’t cost much more to buy from the vendors here on Mud.
That’s a great point. Someone pointed me in the direction of City Racer. However, they are sold out and they informed me that restock is a long timeout. I’m not in a crazy hurry, so I’ll keep watching out for vendors.

Rfitzpatrick
I agree that without support the vendors can't stay in business. I understand the economics of supplying parts to a niche market like ours, they don't do volume. But, I'm sure they get these dash pads for at least the ebay price, if not less. If you then double the price and tack on shipping, I'll go to the source. Restoring old cars began as a way for people who could not afford a new car to be able to have something nice, which was me 45 years ago. It has evolved into a playground for the wealthy. You can see the evolution in our language, nothing is old anymore. It's now either vintage or antique.

I agree that without support the vendors can't stay in business. I understand the economics of supplying parts to a niche market like ours, they don't do volume. But, I'm sure they get these dash pads for at least the ebay price, if not less. If you then double the price and tack on shipping, I'll go to the source. Restoring old cars began as a way for people who could not afford a new car to be able to have something nice, which was me 45 years ago. It has evolved into a playground for the wealthy. You can see the evolution in our language, nothing is old anymore. It's now either vintage or antique.
Correct and as we all know well: vintage/antique=$$$...

I actually bought an ebay dash pad 2 weeks ago and it just came in the mail today. I usually like to go with cityracer, toyotamatt, or toyota for parts, but Cityracer was out of stock and this was $100 cheaper than my cheapest local toyota with local pickup. In fact, I bought some of the screws/spacers that go with it from toyota and still says my order is currently "on hold" and "backordered" for some of the parts so who knows when I'll get those. Anyway, this shipped from japan, had a toyota box and part sticker, bubble wrapped, with a paper thank you insert from the ebay seller. It's in as good of shape as the stuff I get from toyota. At first I was worried when I didn't see a cutout for a dash light like my original '74 one, but it looks just like the photos from cityracer, so maybe it is legit after all and the new oem pads just don't have that cutout? I can't tell from a brief google search or maybe I'm not searching the right words. Anyone know if that's the case?

The new pads have an area to cut out for the dash light. There must be a warehouse full of these in Japan, get them while you can.

Every time I log in, I find something that is on the long list, but was not currently looking for. Thanks mud :flipoff2::p

I actually bought an ebay dash pad 2 weeks ago and it just came in the mail today. I usually like to go with cityracer, toyotamatt, or toyota for parts, but Cityracer was out of stock and this was $100 cheaper than my cheapest local toyota with local pickup. In fact, I bought some of the screws/spacers that go with it from toyota and still says my order is currently "on hold" and "backordered" for some of the parts so who knows when I'll get those. Anyway, this shipped from japan, had a toyota box and part sticker, bubble wrapped, with a paper thank you insert from the ebay seller. It's in as good of shape as the stuff I get from toyota. At first I was worried when I didn't see a cutout for a dash light like my original '74 one, but it looks just like the photos from cityracer, so maybe it is legit after all and the new oem pads just don't have that cutout? I can't tell from a brief google search or maybe I'm not searching the right words. Anyone know if that's the case?
Do you have the link to the pad you bought?

At first I was worried when I didn't see a cutout for a dash light like my original '74 one, but it looks just like the photos from cityracer, so maybe it is legit after all and the new oem pads just don't have that cutout? I can't tell from a brief google search or maybe I'm not searching the right words. Anyone know if that's the case?
(Edited to correct thread where I posted and add my pictures I have on my phone)

I recently opened mine up and it is the same as you say … sans cutout. I have picts in “what have you Done” thread. if really curious. I just found a lot of rust under the windshield frame bla bla after figuring out how to remove the pad. Got the metal bracket that screws to the pad at the powder coat and new screws from Toyota as none of the vendors I go to first had those.

And that is how I try to roll. Vendors here on MUD preferred.

IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8825.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom