Early Hood Hinge BJ522251 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pardion

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m thinking about re-pinning these early hinges. I wonder if the pins should be brass? The yellow ones were from a 65/40 I had, made pins in 1975 out of steel, never broke, tapped a hole for a small bolt and washer so when you put the hood on it stayed on. Most of these had a through bolt and a nut. Any ideas on what to use? Want them to look stock. Thanks John
image.jpg

You need to figure this out and share your methods so those of us that have hinges in need of repair can get on with it :p

@SMG might have an idea
@65swb45 is looking for a fix

Well, brass is the choice material. Reason Toyota probably did not do it was cost. Next would be brass bushings , Stainless steel pins. Depends on how far you want to go. ( My opinion is I would go the correct way as values will not go down. )

You need to figure this out and share your methods so those of us that have hinges in need of repair can get on with it :p

@SMG might have an idea
@65swb45 is looking for a fix
x2 I need to figure this out soon too ;) I think brass is a good call, I had been thinking something like a modified brass door hinge pin with maybe a nylon washer in the middle on mine but haven't messed with it yet. How did these look from factory? How did they stay on (not very well I suppose since most of the bolts are gone)? I guess some kind of a lynchpin on the end would just end up scratching up the paint? 🤷‍♂️ I suppose the bolt is the easy part, the "keeping it in place" part is the difficult end.

I'm thinking now to use a brass pin, 3/8". If the pins were brazed on the outside half, the hood could not slide to the side and not come off. Very stock appearance.

I'm thinking now to use a brass pin, 3/8". If the pins were brazed on the outside half, the hood could not slide to the side and not come off. Very stock appearance.
I think that sounds like a good plan. Maybe something in the middle to keep the rattle down too.

oh and @JackA I think your hinges are back from sandblast. I’ll check on Monday and PM ya

Brass is pretty soft for a pin that is in single shear and going to see a lot of vibration (if driven).
A stainless clevis pin with a circlip and nylon washer between the hinges is clean and will actually keep the hood on when needed.
IMG_1043.jpg

@Cruiser_Nerd thats the way I’m going. Do you have any leads on where to acquire those pins and circlip?

on edit: McMaster-Carr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom