E3 spark plugs..........after about 80K miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I finally changed my spark plugs today as part of catching up on all the maintenance I've been neglecting in recent years, and forgot that about 10 or 11 years ago I had put E3 spark plugs in. They performed alright. Nothing special, but no problems either. Pulled them out and DAMN! They definitely are showing their age. The black on the corners of the electrode is just where I touched the cylinder head and picked up some gunk while removing this one (#6). Thought some of you would be interested in seeing this. They're made of the same stuff the cheap plugs are made of; just a fancy electrode design. Frankly I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. I replaced them with a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs, gapped at 0.038" and indexed so the open side of the electrode is facing the exhaust valves. Engine idles MUCH smoother now, which I attribute to the combination of new plugs with an appropriate gap for my ignition setup and being actually indexed. Haven't driven it yet but curious to see if the wear on these E3s was so far that new plugs will make a noticeable difference in performance.

E3-1.jpg

E3-2.jpg

Indexed he say's.
:rofl::beer:

Indexed he say's.
:rofl::beer:
Don't believe what they say about performance gain (maybe in high performance V8s something would show on a dyno, but not in these tractor engines), but it does make the engine run noticably smoother. Back when I ran the stock Denso plugs I pulled them out and indexed them one day and the difference was easily noticeable.

I'll try anything once. Do you have a list if washers thickness's or is it just trial and error?
:beer:

I'll try anything once. Do you have a list if washers thickness's or is it just trial and error?
:beer:
Just trial and error installing and reinstalling each one until you get the right orientation. Then once that's found I reinstall with some copper anti seize on the threads. Took me 3 damn hours to do it. I used a Moroso set, but Accel makes a good one too.

When you index plugs on an F-series engine, which way should the electrode point?

80K miles on standard electrode plugs!

You da man!

Op states gap opening faces exhaust valve. Hth...

Hell, I think you got your money's worth, anyway ;)

I just stick with tried 'n true Denso and change 'em eventually.... :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom