dumb question about locking diffs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am a former BMW fanatic and decided to try something new, so i bought a 1987 fj60. i love it.

as i was driving through a creek and struggling up the rather steep bank i realized that i do not have locking diffs. automatic or otherwise...i think?

in the manual it talks about locking the front and rear diffs, but i'm thinking that is a fancy option for land cruisers sold to the bin ladens in afghanistan.

so, does my truck lack locking diffs or am i just missing some essential control.

ps. i made it out of the creek just fine. a locking rear diff woulda helped.

dsc06634xd5.jpg

No factory locking diffs in any of the north american 60 series trucks. They just put it in the manual to make us jealous.

aussie? as in OEM parts on the aussie models or an actual aftermarket part?

here's a better picture...i love her.

dsc06617rj1.jpg

I just put my aussie locker in last week and it's incredible...easy install and great off road performance...now i gotta get one for up front too

Or if you want a locker that you can turn on and off, like those mentioned in the Owner's Manual, check out ARB.
Air Lockers

First of all welcome and nice rig. My first 60 was Freeborn Red and I fell in love with it, much like my current cruiser.

I recommend the Aussie Locker. I don't have one, but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

ok so the aussie sounds good. however, i use this truck for more than just fording creeks, ie: i drive down the interstate to school everyday...(since someone else mentioned one you can unlock).

so is the aussie what i want?

sorry, i'm gonna keep asking stupid questions until someone ridicules me. locking your differential was never an issue with the bimmers haha.

nevermind my previous questions, i just read up on the locker on the aussie website...highway approved. looks good.

i know where my next paycheck is headed....

thanks gents,

-george

Excellent. I was a BMW fanatic until I bought a cruiser as well. I had an 87 635CSi for a while in high school. Holy hell that car would scream, but it was no where as easy to work on as the 60.

Your e28 in the signature made me remember my old e24, so :cheers:

I have the Aussies front & rear in my 60 & I just love them. Been in the rear for 2 years, just put the front in in November last year. This is my daily driver, 45 miles round trip to work & back. I've driven it on 200 mile trips on the hiway...no prob.

I have the Aussies front & rear in my 60 & I just love them. Been in the rear for 2 years, just put the front in in November last year. This is my daily driver, 45 miles round trip to work & back. I've driven it on 200 mile trips on the hiway...no prob.

Did you do the install on the front your self? How does it compare to the rear install? The front locker only engages when you lock the hubs, and then only gets power when the 4wd is engaged correct? DO you do much driving on the snow ever?

i run a detriot out back and the aussie up front.

i liked the aussie in the back but the detriot is much quiter back there (for hose that car, i didnt,) and it doesnt seem to "unload" near as often if ever unless tire pressures are not the same.

and with the aussie up front now i dont even hear it, it doesnt unload on me (course im offroad when its engauged) and i absolutly love the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom