Builds DUKE - 1993 HDJ80 / 1HD-T / 5-Speed / 3x Locked / LHD *A slow DIY build / resto* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Bryce,

right here...

They are out of stock, but contact them. They are great people. Shipping was like $200. You will not find anything for that price.
The only thing... I bought a V band stainless 3" and replaces the 3 bolt flange. It is so much cleaner and easier to open.

View attachment 2394669
Gorgeous! and this fits fine with the normal 80 series rock sliders if i were to go through Hanna or White knuckle Offroad?

Gorgeous! and this fits fine with the normal 80 series rock sliders if i were to go through Hanna or White knuckle Offroad?
bolts right in. Just like stock without the Cat... and 3". Another change I did was to raise it a bit at the back. It hung too low, and it could have been my mistake.

I finally took on the Big End Bearings (con rod bearings) this week!

Overall, it was a pretty simple job. The most annoying part was getting the oil pan off and cutting the FIPG. One I was in the motor, i just took my time and did everything by the books. I replaced them with ACL tri-metal bearings.

I followed some instruction I found on here from @Bonznfc and followed some other tips and tricks i found in my research Along the way.

The old bearings were COMPLETELY SHOT! I cannot believe how bad of shape cylinder 1 and 6 were in (I just clocked over 290k km). Doesn’t look like these were ever swapped out. Overall, its great to knock this off of the list. Ill run this oil and zinc additive for 500 miles and do another oil / filter change when everything is broken in.

CA9D0868-4415-491E-BE42-A4EAFDA11ACD.jpeg

FF83EA28-E3FC-4E4D-A60C-461BC6724B58.jpeg

6388B07E-D5B8-4763-B226-09107C691116.jpeg

21694ED1-D529-4766-850D-4E11A3336479.jpeg

And I’m not sure it may have been? I found it in Bozeman, MT

I saw the ad many, many times then.

Glad it went to an enthusiast.

Also, Ken Hanna doesn’t do the sliders or bumpers any longer - he quit some yrs back.

Also, Ken Hanna doesn’t do the sliders or bumpers any longer - he quit some yrs back.
Couldn’t be more happy with the rig... it’s the perfect DD and tinker toy.
ah I hear ya. Maybe white knuckle off-road is the move

I bought mine last year. He built them for me. It is worth giving it a shot. Ken is a great guy, and this is his side job. He is a fireman I think.

On a different note, Bryce, your next investment should be the PDI intercooler. My engine runs 200-300F cooler. Climbing up the Sierras at 65 mph EGT was at 750F.

624926CB-B2D0-4CD1-80DC-2D943728F32D.jpeg

I bought mine last year. He built them for me. It is worth giving it a shot. Ken is a great guy, and this is his side job. He is a fireman I think.

On a different note, Bryce, your next investment should be the PDI intercooler. My engine runs 200-300F cooler. Climbing up the Sierras at 65 mph EGT was at 750F.

View attachment 2397363

I could easily be outdated on my info.

Yes, he’s a fireman & he took some time off to raise his family - he easily might be back part-time or just doing ‘buddy jobs’.

I just know my HQ sliders & RR bumper were the 2nd/last bumper he built before the break, and some of the last sliders.

At one point he‘d offered the design FS if anybody wanted to essentially buy his design/company.

Awesome stuff, if you speak to Ken regularly encourage him to post if he’s back to it - his RR bumper is a beast.

I’ll never sell my Hanna gear - it’s that good.

I’ve not spoke to him in a few yrs - not sure if/what ‘Yota platform he’s in these days, I haven’t played ‘Mud detective‘ on him :cool:

@bryce0225 if you ever want to get hands on with the WKOR sliders lmk, I'm local and we can meet up again at the Pavilion's parking lot in Burbank lol. I finally gave them a good shakedown in Moab and they held up great (also made me realize just how unbalanced the clearance of our rigs are, I hit the back trailer hitch on *everything* but the sliders only a handful of times.)

Nice work on the engine bearings btw, that job looks non-trivial.

First of a few posts reguarding the new rear tire swingout.
I went with an old Summit Cruisers Kit because I LOVE the OEM look. Plus it’s a million times stronger and more capable than a JDM swingout... PLUS it’s on the drivers side, which is correct to me.

This was my first time ever doing any kind if welding or metalwork. My buddy showed me the ropes and insisted we did stick welding in order to learn the craft. SO FUN! We did it all in his backyard and the local Home Depot parking lot.

F5ECAF99-994B-49CA-87BE-3949598F2C09.jpeg
9CC08A4A-A12E-4246-B5AB-4D9B54A8F9D9.jpeg
0CA2A7A2-F097-4E37-A5D6-9B936940F6EE.jpeg
F85DFBAD-4CDB-4D6C-9C8E-FD59BAE841CF.jpeg

thought it would be kick ass to add out own touch... a 2in hitch receiver to hold a cooler or bike rack... NO TOWING!
E2711D7A-5268-40E9-8A71-32384142E855.jpeg

Pt 2 of the tire swingout... still fabbing and tweaking our own little touches...
7372D6FA-8136-4E84-801B-19E37932F519.jpeg
416CA28B-5A1F-43DE-A6C8-2DBC28C08A02.jpeg
52F6EFDC-2260-4E06-81E7-43AB1CCC0F0B.jpeg
07D34193-6806-4ACA-8642-F2EBC1FD549F.jpeg

for the hitch so it is centered on the car:
9C92C699-589B-4CA8-879A-17992ADF3E0A.jpeg

Nice work, Bryce. How long you had to wait for the swing arm after the order? And how much did it cost?
I actually bought it secondhand from someone who bought the kit and never put it together. It’s the V1 kit. i don’t think summit is taking orders at the moment.
new from summit I think the cost is $650 or something like that.

Now sandblast and powder coat BK208 Black. You still have the Montana license plates....
gonna grind, sand, metal - bondo any small holes my welding didn’t fill, sand, and hit it with Steel-it coatings. Looks like an amazing option in case I need to touch up or weld to it down the road....

and yeah... can’t really register in California.

and yeah... can’t really register in California.
[/QUOTE]
Wy not? I registered mine. Actually did a fuel swap on an register vehicle. Try taking it to a remote place in the central valley (Merced, Stockton) and I think they will let you go through. LA area will send you to a ref station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom