Dual Peg... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverGiveUpYota

Dare me.
Threads
My dominating wench... I mean, truck gave me the double finger today and I came near to an MI while getting to the side of the hw at the same time.
Scenerio... 65mph, raining, wipers on, lights, CD player, heat on med... Noted alt gauge fluttering from 12-10-12. When the peg of the water temp and fuel occurred and I pulled over I shut the music off and lights. Dual fingers dropped simultaneously. I got back on the road and drove annoyingly defensively. At this point 65mph, no lights, no music, the volt gauge is now where it belongs between 12-14. Peg occurs again at least twice, up and down together.
I’ll add I’ve done the contact cleaning on the fuel gauge side tho it’s been awhile, I imagine another cleaning might be in store?
I awoke an old thread on headlights and the wiring behind the steering wheel last night wondering if my left blinker double time then normal might be fixed by some of the tech in that one.
Add in this... I’d love an electrical wiz to help school me because using a volt meter/multimeter confuses the crap out of me.
Clearly I have some gremlins to exorcise.

Very common issue. There is a tiny voltage regulator on the temp /fuel gauge side, when it goes bad the two gauges go nuts, Replace the gauge and all is good. the problem is they are NLA from Toyota. the FJ62 gauges were still available last time i checked, and are a straight swap. Slightly different face but function is the same.

The fluctuating voltage is probably in time with the sweep of the wipers, no issue there.

PM me, I may have a good used one I can get to you.

If you search you will find a ton of posts on this.

Dyno

@Dynosoar yes well aware, just all of it combined has a way of making my brain hurt.
I’ll pm you now. Thank you!

If both gauges spike suddenly, ignore it. Well don't actually ignore it, kinda keep an eye on it, but it's just an electrical malfunction with the fuel gauge, not an imminent engine fire. I know that's easier said than done. But it's a good exercise in faith management (if there's such a thing).

I've watched my old gauges spike to the hilt many a time. Pegged there for several lip biting minutes as I continued charging on at 75 mph- then they would both calm down & return to normal. I never liked seeing that, but when they both spike, you're ok

Yeah and that’s why I kept on going but it’s the tweak of the volt meter and then whatever is going on w/ the left blinker too. Seems like I have a few other things occurring.
I’ll try a new used gauge... still wish I could teleport a mud wiring wiz here for a crash course.

My water temp Gage does the Spike thing. Was it member Spooky that was working on modern voltage regulator for sale? I know he shelved it while working through some life challenges. He could sell a ton of them if he can get them in production.

Old school hyperactive blinkeritis occurs when there is too little current draw like a burned out bulb. This indicates poor/dirty connections usually grounds.

My water temp Gage does the Spike thing. Was it member Spooky that was working on modern voltage regulator for sale? I know he shelved it while working through some life challenges. He could sell a ton of them if he can get them in production.

Old school hyperactive blinkeritis occurs when there is too little current draw like a burned out bulb. This indicates poor/dirty connections usually grounds.
Bulb was replaced but yeah I’ve wondered if the wiring behind the wheel in the stalk might need some tlc.

Bulb was replaced but yeah I’ve wondered if the wiring behind the wheel in the stalk might need some tlc

Yeah these things are just old and the wiring materials just aren't what they are today. Without getting a meter out good old visual inspection and cleaning will go a long way. Tedious but easy compared to an axle rebuild. Time spent inspecing and cleaning electrical connections is never time wasted.

I’d start off by cleaning the gas tank sending unit wire with some contact cleaner. Mine was covered in 30 years of road grime.

My issue happened once every 30 mins for almost 4 hours on the highway.

I cleaned it and it never came back.

I’d start off by cleaning the gas tank sending unit wire with some contact cleaner. Mine was covered in 30 years of road grime.

My issue happened once every 30 mins for almost 4 hours on the highway.

I cleaned it and it never came back.
I’ve done it tho it’s been awhile. I’ve pobdered a new pickup too after seeing how @Aloha Jen dual spikes went away after they replaced theirs.

I’ve done it tho it’s been awhile. I’ve pobdered a new pickup too after seeing how @Aloha Jen dual spikes went away after they replaced theirs.
Yes, I went against the advice of nearly everyone on here about cleaning up the contacts behind the dash to fix my temp and fuel spikes.
26B8AFD5-EA88-415A-A073-75C30B83285D.jpeg

I was a bit nervous to take the dash off and break something else! When Mr AlohaJen took out the fuel level gauge in the back, it was obvious it was part of the problem.
22E7D7E8-6938-4DE6-8FCF-E2803AE38ED8.jpeg

A brand new shiney one from Toyota was only $85 bucks, so it seemed worthwhile to swap it out. Got mine here: Toyota 83320-69015 (8332069015) SENSOR, FUEL LEVEL - Amayama
But the Toyota dealer or most any Mud vendor can get it as well. I had other stuff coming from amayana, so just got it from them.
6B2DDA9D-A6B0-4706-94CE-7A6B44672D0C.jpeg

It’s a five minute job total. Just locate the hatch in the back and remove the old one
6B50422E-791C-4E32-8298-10C6DDF28D22.jpeg

Clean up the electrical contacts, change provided gasket, drop the new one in and screw it down
C4BD6E39-3461-479C-9E2F-7FF3FBD14589.jpeg

It went from constant gauge spikes Before, to never happening again since. Its been about 8 months and maybe a thousand miles and still no spikes. So my dash will stay in place until I see it happen again.

Good to know Jen. Thanks, that’s what I was hoping for regarding how it’s gone. :)

Welp I just put in an order for that fuel pickup. Seems like the more logical step than a band aide of a new used cluster. If the pegs start up again @Dynosoar I’ll reach back out if that’s cool. And @Jaric00n I’ll keep you in mind as well. Thanks all.

I checked the part number Jen gave on TPD w/ my trucks info and it said it matched. I then ordered the fuel pickup from the Amayama site.

I checked the part number Jen gave on TPD w/ my trucks info and it said it matched. I then ordered the fuel pickup from the Amayama site.
I think he was referring to the dash gauge.

I hope the new tank level gauge fixes your spiking dash gauges, it’s been really nice not having mild heart attacks seeing that temp gauge spike all the sudden!

Yeah it happened once today and regardless of the knowing, it still made my heart thump a bit faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom