Drooping Visors? $9/Repair - Photos (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I must be a bit of an idiot here... but I tried the magnet trick this morning and ended up losing a magnet to the roof... twice. The little bastard has a tendency to flip over even if placed on the right side of the screw driver..

The first time I was able to dig it out with just a coat hanger and some finesse. The second time, it actually went up into a crevice.

So, how can I get that magnet out? Is it going have any negative effects if it stays up there?

Is there an easy way to drop the front of the headliner or is it a whole project?

And, lastly, I have an LX450 and it just did not want to stay up even when I did get the thing positioned right... May need a few more of these Super Magnets to hold it up when I can dig this one out.

Thanks guys,

-rockstate

if this isn't already on the under $50 modifications list, it should be

So, I must be a bit of an idiot here... but I tried the magnet trick this morning and ended up losing a magnet to the roof... twice. The little bastard has a tendency to flip over even if placed on the right side of the screw driver..

The first time I was able to dig it out with just a coat hanger and some finesse. The second time, it actually went up into a crevice.

So, how can I get that magnet out? Is it going have any negative effects if it stays up there?

Is there an easy way to drop the front of the headliner or is it a whole project?

And, lastly, I have an LX450 and it just did not want to stay up even when I did get the thing positioned right... May need a few more of these Super Magnets to hold it up when I can dig this one out.

Thanks guys,

-rockstate

Rock, your PM box is full, still looking to buy the items we have been discussing. thanks

Thanks guys,

-rockstate

It sounds like you didn't drop the headliner, but I would definitely recommend dropping it to do this project. It's very easy - Just pull the edging away from the headliner (it slides right back on) enough that you can pull it down about 4-5". Then you have some room to work up in there and not lose magnets. I had to use the smaller magnets since my local ACE was out of the bigger ones. They still wanted to pop up to the metal frame of my 80, but I glued mine to the headliner and just held them until the glue stuck enough that I could put the headliner back up and then put the visor up (with magnets already in it) to pull the magnet down and up not towards the frame.

Make sense?

I did a fix 2 years ago and still working, the plastic piece inside the large metal tension clip wears down and eventually breaks into pieces. All I did was remove the clip and put in some fuel hose in place of the plastic and put the clip back on which was tough but I did it. I just slit the threads on the top of the hinge area, no need to drop the headliner or remove the visor cover at all. Not only does it stay up against the roof I can put it in any position like it should work. "The Fuel hose visor fix" :)

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 11.08.44 PM.png

Got around to giving this a go and, after installing the strongest ceramic magnets Lowe's carried, realized they didn't cut the mustard. Picked up the last two packs of the Neodymium magnets (same ones as OP) at a local hardware store and was all set to change out. Man are these things strong. Was afraid would be too powerful once installed (2 in headliner and 1 in visor), but the hold is perfect. Follow the advice to unscrew and drop the sunroof control panel, which takes about a minute, to gain 2-3 inches of extra slack in the headliner. First tried without dropping, and there's not much room to maneuver, especially to securely tape the two top magnets. I learned the hard way that if these come lose, they find the nastiest little crevice to lodge themselves in and its a b_tch getting them out. Never though a fix like this would make my day, but I smile every time I climb in and see the visor high and tight.

Just finished with the magnet install. Works. I worry about them moving around, so i tried to tape them, but old visors aren't the highest quality materials to work with. Old foam, etc.

I can vouch for the fact you want crazy strong magnets, i thought they would be too much, but in the end barely enough.

I used goop adhesive to stick to the head liner. Drys fast enough to keep them from flying up. Also stick another magnet on the underside of the head liner to place and stick the magnet in the right spot

Done. I think the head liner in the 93 is looser so instead of tape I stacked the two magnets on the steel near the sun roof control. Far right of visor. Works great.

Thank you for the Mod. Man that was driving me crazy.

This is a brilliant mod. I just spent 10 minutes and did both my visors. Works perfectly. To get the two stacked magnets into the proper place in the headliner, I stuck the two magnets together, then put a large piece of Gorilla Tape on top (sticky side towards the headliner) and the magnets on a large flat screwdriver. Pull the headliner down with one hand, and hold the screwdriver and maneuver the magnets into the proper place. Then use fingers to push the Gorilla Tape down onto the headliner. Works perfectly, both sides. Yep, love seeing those visors high and tight!

Muddy1

My variation: I put a magnet above the headliner, another 2 outside the headliner, and a fourth bit of im not sure what inside the visor. It was inside the pack of three magnets from ace hardware.

I did this because the damn magnet above kept jumping to not the roof, but into two steel rods, that are possibly sunroof doohickeys.

It works great, no tape or glue required.

Thanks much for this. I used a total of six super magnets, three in the lower right of the driver's side and three in the headliner. Works fantastic.

I wish I knew about this thread earlier. I bought neodymium magnets off of amazon, 10pack of 1-½" by 1/16". Really thin, big diameter, and strong. Then I hot glued one on top of headliner but instead of going through the mirror for the visor side I cut my visor and slid the thin magnet. I was going to hot glue or super glue the visor back but the exacto knife cut so clean You can't even tell there is a cut along the seam.
Once the magnet is in, it was hard to move it in there (between the fuzzy visor material and the spongy stuff) I used the rest of the magnets to drag/align it with the headliner magnet. The pull was weak so I added more magnets to the headliner side untill I was happy.

Old mod.... but a good one! Mines been holding for about 18 months!

Looking back through a few of my old mods when I had my 95'...this was probably my favorite and I really enjoyed reading what so many people had to say...it, without question really does put a smile on your face to get a droopy visor out of your face...we're already sitting closer to the thing than most of us would like. I love some the variations that have been posted. So nice to see so many people still using this mod, years after I left the forum...but I'm back now...96' that my son and I built for a friend...we bought it back, it's his first truck, he's turning 16 soon and I'm already impressed with his ability to work on it and perform the maintenance needed.

IMG_7265.JPG

I have everything needed to do this precisely as you have instructed. I have been planning it for about a month and I am hoping to get it done this weekend. Thanks for posting it up. I would have gone after this in an inferior way and I appreciate your posting this up and saving me from the potholes on the road to success!

Thanks for posting this clever solution. That damn visor! I just did and it worked beautifully at repairing my sagging visor. You saved me $100 and made my day!

Many years later, in the same boat. Now, the same happy camper! Bought the magnets at Home Depot, some double-sided tape for the visor and a little duct tape for the magnet in the roof = perfect! Works so well. $10 bucks and about 10 minutes. Thank you, Mr. Offshore for the pics and procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom