Driving when it shouldn't (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took delivery of a 1971 FJ40, which I had inspected by a classic car "expert" since I'm in TX and the FJ was in FL, and took it for a spin. The expert assured me that everything was working as it should. WRONG. All seemed fine until I noticed that I was driving around with the transfer case in neutral... Go figure. Is there an adjustment I can make to make sure the transfer case goes into neutral? Could it be stuck in 2H? Insight from true experts is appreciated.

I'm confused. You first stated that you were driving around with the transfer case in Neutral. Then you asked; "Is there an adjustment I can make to make sure the transfer case goes into neutral?"

In order for the vehicle to drive anywhere, the transfer case must either be in 2H, 4H, or 4Lo. When towing the FJ-40, I would suggest putting the transfer case in Neutral.

the problem is that based on the shifter, it should be in neutral but it's not. I can wiggle the transfer case stick right to left like you would do to make sure the transmission is in neutral, but it still moves down the road... It's like the transfer case is stuck in 2H.

Is your 1971 Fj-40 stock? 3sp or 4spd transmission? Do you have a picture of the shift pattern which is traditionally on the glove box? Can you upload a picture of the shifter as well?

My 1970 came with a vacuum actuated front axle transfer case (pull switch on the dash next to the emergency brake handle) and a lever under the dash to shift from 4Lo - N - 4Hi.

Tim, it's also possible that you have some slop in the shifter. It's quite common. Typically, a US version transfer case shift pattern would look like this if it's on the floor. Can you upload some photos?
1691527039913.png

4 speed transmission. Manual shifter on floor next to transmission shifter.
38008844-1971-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-std.jpg

Definitely not a US version stock 1971 FJ-40. (very nice looking though). It appears from the dash photo that the transfer case shift pattern is the same as the knob photo I uploaded. With the transmission in neutral, the transfer case would shift from 2Hi to 4Hi moving the lever front to back. Pushing the lever from 4Hi to N - 4Lo is a push to the right. The knob photo doesn't look right for the year, but not knowing the vehicles history, it may just be a knob added by the PO.

When I get home I will try the pattern on the glove box and see if that works. If so, I will be ordering a new knob...
Thanks for the help.

I bet the sheet metal shift gate plate is missing from on top of the t-case. Normally that will not allow the t-case to go into low-2WD. I took mine out to be able to go into low-2WD. If it's missing the t-case stick will go left and right in both Hi and Low as well as in neutral.

When I got home I tried the pattern on the glove box and all went well. I had to fish around a little left and right on the stick to find neutral, but I did. Thanks for all if the help. I'm new to FJs and feeling my way around.

You can have a look on top of the Transfer Gearbox.
There is a lever, if it's like mine on the picture, it's neutral. Lever to the left means AWD and to the right it's RWD.

If lever and status of the gear doesn't correspond, then it's something inside. But it's not rocket science, there is another sliding "fork" inside, sliding a collar.

Inked6.jpg

When I got home I tried the pattern on the glove box and all went well. I had to fish around a little left and right on the stick to find neutral, but I did. Thanks for all if the help. I'm new to FJs and feeling my way around.
Many perhaps cutting you some slack on saying "FJs"....but you may want to avoid the abbreviation. Personally I think we should reclaim the "FJ" singleton designation....but there was a non-landcruiser (FJ Cruiser discontinued) that used it prominently in its name and got shortened as "FJ".

Anyway...we want to be welcoming and encouraging to you in your coming quest with your FJ40. Enjoy the ride.

Yeah. Plus, the volume of an FJ40 cabin is pretty huge. That's a lot of air to cool.
and the seals around the windshield and doors are leaky so I get a lot of outside air passing through...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom