driving on asphalt with center diff lock engaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my lady took the cruiser to work today and tried to surprise me by having the car detailed. The detail place picked up the car from her office garage, took it to their shop about a mile a way, detailed it, obviously hit the center diff lock switch and then drove the car back to her garage. She immediately called me when she saw the lights on and I swung by and disengaged the lock. (side note: took a couple back and forths and switching between 4H and 4L to finally disengage it) I havent had a chance to drive the car as I was in a rush at the time. Seemed fine when i put it back in its parking spot. What kind of damage can i expect? I just purchased this LC a couple months ago and dont have any records for it. its a 2005 with 135k on it. thoughts/ suggestions?

Others on here have accidentally hit the button and driven it, with no issues. So don't panic, just give it a test drive to make sure.

Yeah, probably no impact unless some component was hanging by a thread anyway.

It's very likely just fine.

My sister has the same truck as me (2000) and I always tell the story of how she thought the CDL button was the "four wheel drive button" for several years.

These things are tanks

It's very likely just fine.

My sister has the same truck as me (2000) and I always tell the story of how she thought the CDL button was the "four wheel drive button" for several years.

These things are tanks

Technically your sister is right, the 100 is classed as part time 4wd, locking the centre diff makes it 4wd with 50:50 axle split. If you go off roading this will become evident..

Technically your sister is right, the 100 is classed as part time 4wd, locking the centre diff makes it 4wd with 50:50 axle split. If you go off roading this will become evident..

The center diff lock does not "make it 4wd"

It's always 4wd, even in D.

The center diff lock on our 100's simply forces both rear wheels to spin at the same rate, same with front.

Sorry it does technically, it's not true 4wd until you lock the centre diff, true 4wd is when the front and rear have a 50:50 split, like a locked centre diff or without a transfer box(willys jeep). 4hi without diff locked the power goes to the axle of least resistance, not a problem on tarmac as your not expecting to lose traction, but get in the muddy stuff then there is no 50:50 split, the front and rear will work separately to the point of 100:0

Last edited:
The center diff lock on our 100's simply forces both rear wheels to spin at the same rate, same with front.

Not quite. The center diff lock forces the front and rear drive shafts to turn at the same rate, but the rear wheels are still on an open diff and can turn at different rates, same with the front. The rear locker forces the rear wheels to turn at the same rate, and the front locker forces those wheels to turn at the same rate.

See here - Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line

The CDL locks the front and rear drive shafts (50:50 power front and rear), not the rear diff.

Thank you for the clarification crimsonaudio, mister bean, & julian stead

I've been told its more like 60-40 split. But 4wd is always on. & for future reference you don't have to shift the lever from 4hi to 4low. If nothing's behind you. Disengage & back up a few feet. Light will go out & be back to normal.

I've been told its more like 60-40 split. But 4wd is always on. & for future reference you don't have to shift the lever from 4hi to 4low. If nothing's behind you. Disengage & back up a few feet. Light will go out & be back to normal.

You are thinking of the 80 series with a viscous coupler..

No, I have an 03 LX470 100 series. My 4wd is always on. It also has the viscous coupling. It cannot be disengage. Center differential on distribute power 50/50 front and rear. My Transfer case only has 2 gearing, 4 Hi & 4 Low. If that was the case I'll have an extra gear on my transfer case for me to shift to 2 hi.

No, I have an 03 LX470 100 series. My 4wd is always on. It also has the viscous coupling. It cannot be disengage. Center differential on distribute power 50/50 front and rear. My Transfer case only has 2 gearing, 4 Hi & 4 Low. If that was the case I'll have an extra gear on my transfer case for me to shift to 2 hi.

Per Slee, no viscous coupler - Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

"Unlike the 80 series, the transfer case does not have a viscous coupler."

Classic 4wd(true 4wd) is when the front and rear are locked in 50:50 split, like when your centre diff is locked as old 4wd didn't have a transfer box. This is why I used the words technically and true 4wd. The 100 doesn't have a viscous coupler it uses a open centre diff. 4wd was designed for off road purposes only, not for tarmac when it was invented,more modern cars have brought 4wd to the Tarmac using transfer box's and the 100 uses a open centre diff with the option to lock it, locking it makes it behave the same a true 4wd which can't be used on Tarmac, so there is truth that the centre lock switch is what turns our 100's into a real 4wd, which was my point, the sister was right in what she said.

If you was asked to explain 4wd in a technical question you would have to include the constant 50:50 split relationship between front and rear axles.

Modern technology's and marketing has confused the terminology. I think it should be called AWD until you lock the centre diff in the 100 as power can vary from front to back and you won't get far off road with it unlocked.

I might just be old school on this but the inventor of 4WD didn't put a open centre diff in his design.

You can't put the vehicle in 2wd so this isn't a argument between 2wd or 4wd, it's more like AWD or 4WD.

Last edited:
I've talked about my newbie test drive before and ended up buying the truck. I would like to believe if the CDL engaged did real damage they wouldn't make it so easy to push.

You would notice if you hit the button very quickly in the UK I think due to the tight twisty roads and roundabouts. The USA is known for its long straight roads so you probably wouldn't notice it as much, it won't put strain on the system on a straight road. It is a stupid place to put the button though, If the switch was a rotary switch like the Rear locker it wouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom